Blocks :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by kustom2k1
Why did the knock sensor not work to stop the damage? Detonation is audible and the KS should have picked it up.
Knock sensors are a reactive system, in that, first you have to experience knock for them to work, and here within is the problem.

When knock occurs, the cylinder temp go up, which also reduces the threashold for knock, making it more likely to occur again. So, even though the ECU might be pulling timing it might not be puling timing quick enough to get the knock under control.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by lowprofile
Ok, so let me get this straight, you use to examine pistons from racing engines, and you came up with "friction heat related piston failure" after seeing this piston with the hole in the side of it?
Well that would definitely explain why you had a box full of them to examine.

Ok, carry on. Thanks for playing along with me.
If you say so. I guess Topfuel dragster builders must not know what they are doing since they also have boxes of blown engine parts.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by lowprofile
Knock sensors are a reactive system, in that, first you have to experience knock for them to work, and here within is the problem.

When knock occurs, the cylinder temp go up, which also reduces the threashold for knock, making it more likely to occur again. So, even though the ECU might be pulling timing it might not be puling timing quick enough to get the knock under control.
And it has a limit as to how much timing it can pull.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
Problem with most here is that 8 out of 10 guys "DO NOT" Wideband their cars and just go by what power they made at the the dyno and what that sniffer (AFR reader) tells them in that particular dyno day..Every tuner IMO should recommend these data logging devices and include a little educating about all these numbers before anything.
+1
Ive been preaching this for a long time, You consider the cost of an engine vs the cost of a wideband,
You add 100 hp to a stock engine and just assume everthing is going to be fine, or better yet when it does break we just blame the tuners for giving us what we wanted
Old 11-16-2011, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by GT-ER
If you say so. I guess Topfuel dragster builders must not know what they are doing since they also have boxes of blown engine parts.
LOL, comparing apples to oranges my friend.

I feel we strayed far enough off topic already, but I would like to share this one thought. You post quite often on this forum and sometimes they are informative, while others are completely off base. It's ok if you do not know the answer, we are all learning as we go along.

My apologies to the community for going off topic.

Peace.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
Problem with most here is that 8 out of 10 guys "DO NOT" Wideband their cars and just go by what power they made at the the dyno and what that sniffer (AFR reader) tells them in that particular dyno day..Every tuner IMO should recommend these data logging devices and include a little educating about all these numbers before anything.
Best advise I've heard in while! Totally agree with you on this.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by _AMG_
I'm actually surprised to see the E55 engines are open deck blocks.
Me too. The SLR blocks blocks are closed deck.