W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to Organize a TTM Scoops & Python Tubes Group Buy - Anyone Interested?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Bruce, I had that set you sent me for free to test on my CLS and I am pissed I gave them back! But with that being said, the quality was second to NONE! If you do another run, like Bucasa said, im in at any cost. The python tubes are tempting as well to match my carbon engine cover.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Eagerly awaiting the cost. I PM'd Bruce yesterday asking about them.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK55 '05 CLK320 '02
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports

I sent my last set of scoops to a composite manufacturer, who will remain anonymous, to do a feasibility study/cost analysis to make molds and manufacturer them in FRP so I could use the existing design and make the necessary changes for other models and manufacturers besides MB.
would the W209 be included within the other models ur looking into manufacturing for?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
e63 p30 estate
I sent my last set of scoops to a composite manufacturer, who will remain anonymous, to do a feasibility study/cost analysis to make molds and manufacturer them in FRP
3 words: Made in China. Maybe a 4th: Alibaba.com

I have people on the ground (Shenzhen, Qingdao and Shanghai) who can do QC, so do plenty of other sourcing agents. It's easy, and like Suvneer, you'd end up with a $10 product + mould cost. No one's going to care where it's made if you're selling these for $100.

US mfg'ing is dead. End of story.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
To all on MB World!

Looks like there might be another run of TTM Intake Scoops being done............maybe!

Here is where we are at:

I sent my last set of scoops to a composite manufacturer, who will remain anonymous, to do a feasibility study/cost analysis to make molds and manufacturer them in FRP so I could use the existing design and make the necessary changes for other models and manufacturers besides MB. Making them in CF would have been too costly(especially since the balking that I experienced with some MB World members who questioned the price and what went into developing them. I actually had a member offer to buy them from me for $150 after I told him they were $300/pair ).

When I got the initial cost analysis, the quote was for having them manufactured in CF(I told the project coordinator in the beginning that CF is out of the question because of the high cost associated with that process) I was flabbergasted. Now I do a ton of business with this company and I was so pissed that I was going to call the owner, tell him to return the set that I sent him and proceed to tell him to GO *** HIMSELF! People that know me know that I am a man of my word and I ALWAYS call a SPADE a SPADE!! So I let myself cool down and didn't do anything too hasty.

Now here we are today. I guess I have some decisions to make but THANK YOU to all who are interested(even the CHEAP ****'s)!

My plate is extremely full with a couple of large builds from out of state, track days and the holiday season so this might take a couple of weeks to get going but I am committed to making this happen.
Bruce,

Thank you sir! Wasn't trying to jump the gun here but rather simply attempting to line you up the the demand (myself included) to reduce the risk/cost in you producing the supply.

Keep us posted and thank you again.

Alex
Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
I'm in for scoops and python tubes. Not in a huge rush, so add me to the list!!

I'll leave the stickers on too!

Thanks Bruce!!!

PS- if you have the carbonio intake box, shoot me a text. I'm tired of my fabrication efforts, and I think the airbox will open up my 82mm TTM TB kit a little.

Last edited by Bramage; 12-01-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Hopefully carbonio figures out how many guys are actually interested in their tubes.. We had a page going not too long ago with 3 pages of people interested in them.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
I'd be in. It will help my quest.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyC
3 words: Made in China. Maybe a 4th: Alibaba.com

I have people on the ground (Shenzhen, Qingdao and Shanghai) who can do QC, so do plenty of other sourcing agents. It's easy, and like Suvneer, you'd end up with a $10 product + mould cost. No one's going to care where it's made if you're selling these for $100.

US mfg'ing is dead. End of story.

Truth.

The factory parts are plastic, all we need is a better, larger shape.... I would never want Chinese-made headers or pulleys, but this one makes a lot of sense.

-G
Old 12-02-2011, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by GregMB
Truth.

The factory parts are plastic, all we need is a better, larger shape.... I would never want Chinese-made headers or pulleys, but this one makes a lot of sense.

-G

I rather buy anything made in any country than china.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's what everyone always says.

In this particular case, we are not talking about "hand fabricated" parts where you can argue that craftsmanship and tolerances are critical. These are going to be mass produced in a big machine.... whether that machine is located in a factory China or the USA doesn't much matter to me.

My primary objection (as I stated before) is with the "price premium" to get parts made from carbon fiber when a simple plastic part would do the same job for a small fraction of the cost. I believe even Bruce (at TTM) was making this same point earlier.

-G
Old 12-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by GregMB
That's what everyone always says.

In this particular case, we are not talking about "hand fabricated" parts where you can argue that craftsmanship and tolerances are critical. These are going to be mass produced in a big machine.... whether that machine is located in a factory China or the USA doesn't much matter to me.

My primary objection (as I stated before) is with the "price premium" to get parts made from carbon fiber when a simple plastic part would do the same job for a small fraction of the cost. I believe even Bruce (at TTM) was making this same point earlier.

-G
FYI

The pieces are cut out of a whole sheet of metal by a machine punch utilizing a cad design developed program and is then HAND WELDED so they take time to make and aren't mass produced in a big machine as you think. Also the plastic would not hold up very well with the amount of force exerted onto it from the air. FRP, which I was considering using for lowering production cost and is considerable stronger than just plastic, might still have issue with the force being exerted on it. My original substrate did not exhibit any issues from this force.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Bruce,

My comments weren't directed at the scoops....really intended more for the python tubes and airbox items, which come with exhorbitant price tags (IMHO) when rendered in CF.

I've done enough welding and fabrication myself to understand a good deal when I see one.... I would simply buy your metal scoops (even at full price!) and be done with it. I wouldn't be willing to spend the hours necessary to cut, fit, fixture, weld and paint up a set. And I'm sure anyone who has actually tried to render a set (in steel) would be too embarrassed to admit the number of hours they ACTUALLY wasted trying to save that $300....

Cheers!

-G
Old 01-08-2012, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
anything ever went on with this group buy???
Old 01-08-2012, 12:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 CLS63S AMG, 2017 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate, 2019 KTM 1290 Super Adventure R
I'm in for a set of both as well if this happens...
Old 01-08-2012, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Check out planet super cars. There is a GB coming out for cf intake tubes in a few weeks.