W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 E55 Wagon ECU/TCU Tune results

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
05 E55 Wagon ECU/TCU Tune results

Well, the Black Friday Sales rolled around and I had to take advantage of the Buckhead Imports Performance (BIP) ECU tune http://www.buckhead-imports.com/performance.html and Eurocharged TCU tune.

I have to thank Jason, Greg, and Tony at BIP for providing top notch work and customer service (Most shops have one or the other, but not both). They surpassed my expectations to say the least.

The tune gave me a noticeable seat of the pants difference with much more torque (as if these cars need anymore!) I have only logged about 200 miles so far and will report more when I get some dry pavement for a few WOT runs.

I also have to thank Jerry at Eurocharged for the TCU tune. I don't have much seat time, but I can tell that the comfort mode is largely unchanged (which is great, I can retain the laid back shifting when needed!) The sport mode is much improved, with the paddles providing much more responsive shift times that are almost instant.

If we ever get some decent weather (and I find some extra time) I will have to post some GoPro videos too.

This was my first experience with a "heart breaker" Dyno Dynamics dyno, which I have found reads (on average) about 15% lower than a Dynojet. My recent baseline on a Dynojet listed below confirms this is in the ballpark.

See my numbers below and let me know your thoughts.

I tried to do some of my own conversions below based on my research of Dyno Dynamics, Dynojet, and the conversion to HP/TQ at the motor.

32rwhp/35 rwtq (Dyno Dynamics) / 37rwhp/41 rwtq (Dynojet) /= @44hp/48tq at the motor does not seem bad for a stock car in my opinion.

Dyno Jet (RWHP)
Stock % DD #'s
RWHP 433.4 1.21
RWTQ 490 1.13

Dyno Dynamics (RWHP)
Stock ECU Tune +/-
RWHP 358.30 390.50 32.20
RWTQ 435.40 470.50 35.10

DD Conv to DJ RWHP (.85 conv factor)
Stock ECU Tune +/-
RWHP 421.53 459.41 37.88
RWTQ 512.24 553.53 41.29

DD Conv to Engine HP (.73 conv factor)
Stock ECU Tune +/-
ENG HP 490.82 534.93 44.11
ENG TQ 596.44 644.52 48.08

Old 12-12-2011, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
2004 E55
Hope that tune works out for you and lasts longer than most of tonys tunes....
Old 12-12-2011, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
What in my graph makes you question the tune? He tuned Chawkins car (and others) and it has held together with no issues after numerous quarter mile runs?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by FASN8N
What in my graph makes you question the tune? He tuned Chawkins car (and others) and it has held together with no issues after numerous quarter mile runs?
Not the Graph, the Tooner
Old 12-12-2011, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Originally Posted by AMGPilot
Not the Graph, the Tooner
What is wrong with the tuner and my tune? I am willing to listen to anyone that has evidence backing up why someone's tune is or would be better/worse. Like I said, I have witnessed Tony's tunes on other cars that have made numerous quarter mile passes without fail.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
The Thread Starts to get interesting midway down this page. https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...oooommm-7.html

Did Tony tell you that you need to change the plugs every 3K miles? ask him about Loco'05

Then there is the block sitting in my garage that he damaged when he kept adding timing but never logging the knock sensors.......
Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
White E55 wagon...

Glad to hear you are happy with your mods!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Great results! Can you also post your AF?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Hope that tune works out for you and lasts longer than most of tonys tunes....
Common dude, that post is WAY OFF. If you have been on the forums at all you will realize that I have had that tune in my car since spring and have had zero issues. If you have a beef with something that happened in the past, take it private through pm. This is not a tuner bashing thread, it is to shows Bart's yield gains.

His tunes are stout, safe and have proven performance both on the dyno and on the track. If you have any issues take it through pm with me, tony or Greg who are all members on here.

Bart-

Car looks great mang, I cant wait to feel what the TCU tune feels like? What does it shift at in sport mode, and do you feel the shifts are much quicker?

Last edited by chawkins2001; 12-13-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
Originally Posted by jcjmw
It is at the bottom of the first picture.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
I bought the TCU tune and I have drove on it for 200 to 300 miles.
At first I really didn't notice much and I was going to call EC to ask what was I supposed to notice.
But then the other day I noticed that my car was in "C" mode and hit the little button put it in "S" and approached an on ramp nailed it and felt it launch.
Of course it was a rolling launch as to keep the car straight but when it went in to 2nd it was extremely quick and firm and then there was 3rd quick and firm as well.
The way i describe it is it doesn't glide or slip in to gear it's a quick firm shift. It's kind of like going from a power glide transmission to a lenco.

Thank You for the TCU mod EC.

Last edited by Roverron; 12-13-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Nuff said, I want one

Originally Posted by Roverron
I bought the TCU tune and I have drove on it for 200 to 300 miles.
At first I really didn't notice much and I was going to call EC to ask what was I supposed to notice.
But then the other day I noticed that my car was in "C" mode and hit the little button put it in "S" and approached an on ramp nailed it and felt it launch.
Of course it was a rolling launch as to keep the car straight but when it went in to 2nd it was extremely quick and firm and then there was 3rd quick and firm as well.
The way i describe it is it doesn't glide or slip in to gear it's a quick firm shift. It's kind of like going from a power glide transmission to a lenco.

Thank You for the TCU mod EC.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
Dang... nice looking wagon my friend... I need to get back on this board a bit more now I guess...
Old 12-13-2011, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
I overnighted my TCU to Jerry yesterday. I got an email this morning saying that it was already finished and it's back on its way to me. Can't wait! The slow paddle shifting was starting to annoy me.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Something about a wagon on a dyno is just bada$$! Especially a sweet white one!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by emoving
You should see the effect it has on woman, well, you know what I was about to say
Old 12-13-2011, 04:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63S 4Matic
You're going to continue to love that tcu tune. Beeellllieeeve me.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 & 2009 Audi S5
FASN8N's wagon is over the top. The ONLY wagon I have ever seen that I would genuinely love to have. I was able to see it in person while I was getting some work done at Buckhead Imports a couple of weeks ago.

In regards to BI, I still have a great deal to learn about what should or should not be done with a tune so I can't say for sure one way or another as to how safe their tunes are. What I can say is they are super nice folks and took a great deal of time to answer any questions I had, took me on a tour of their facility and they were working on some really REALLY nice rides. (Had a new GT3 RS there that was over the top!) Based on my observations and the recommendations from other mbworld members I have the utmost confidence in BI and will be using them again unless I have some solid and compelling reason not to.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Denroll
I overnighted my TCU to Jerry yesterday. I got an email this morning saying that it was already finished and it's back on its way to me. Can't wait! The slow paddle shifting was starting to annoy me.
Subscribed for the tomorrow update!

-G
Old 12-13-2011, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
Originally Posted by GregMB
Subscribed for the tomorrow update!

-G
Might be a big update because my MBH long tubes came in today.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Might be a big update because my MBH long tubes came in today.
In that case......Double-subscribed!

I got in on that group buy too. Mine should be here Friday!

-G
Old 12-13-2011, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
Great gains..

Im very interested in the TCU tune. I notice at the track my car falls flat (long pause) on the 2-3 shift. Not as much when cruising on the highway at a constant speed. May just be heat soak but I guess it couldn't hurt to have it done. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
Originally Posted by GregMB
In that case......Double-subscribed!

I got in on that group buy too. Mine should be here Friday!

-G

We might have near-twin cars then! I have no Pano or trunk closer.

I messed up and didn't order the mid-pipes. Now I want them so I ordered them this morning.

Last edited by Denroll; 12-13-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
The Thread Starts to get interesting midway down this page. https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...oooommm-7.html

Did Tony tell you that you need to change the plugs every 3K miles? ask him about Loco'05

Then there is the block sitting in my garage that he damaged when he kept adding timing but never logging the knock sensors.......
-- I read all 15 pages of the thread and still don't come to the conclusion that the tuner was 100% at fault. JCJMW was on the right track asking for concrete evidence on the tune and the info was never posted showing the weak areas of the tune. Even you mentioned more than once that you thought it was fuel or injector related?

Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
White E55 wagon...

Glad to hear you are happy with your mods!
You have a mighty fine looking AMG too

Originally Posted by jcjmw
As stated above, I felt your questions and line of thinking about Loco's car were spot on, too bad you could not get anyone to post hard facts

Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Common dude, that post is WAY OFF. If you have been on the forums at all you will realize that I have had that tune in my car since spring and have had zero issues. If you have a beef with something that happened in the past, take it private through pm. This is not a tuner bashing thread, it is to shows Bart's yield gains.

His tunes are stout, safe and have proven performance both on the dyno and on the track. If you have any issues take it through pm with me, tony or Greg who are all members on here.

Bart-

Car looks great mang, I cant wait to feel what the TCU tune feels like? What does it shift at in sport mode, and do you feel the shifts are much quicker?
Looks like your question got answered by Roverron, his assessment of the TCU tune is spot on

Originally Posted by Hardrivr
Dang... nice looking wagon my friend... I need to get back on this board a bit more now I guess...
Where have you been stranger, good to hear from one of the long time OG's here

You will love it

Originally Posted by emoving
Thank you sir, your cars have been an inspiration to many here too

Originally Posted by chawkins2001
You should see the effect it has on woman, well, you know what I was about to say
Panty dropper, you nut Craig

Originally Posted by BenzoDoc
You're going to continue to love that tcu tune. Beeellllieeeve me.
I am looking forward to another track day and some dry weather, winter is no fun here

Originally Posted by jddumas
FASN8N's wagon is over the top. The ONLY wagon I have ever seen that I would genuinely love to have. I was able to see it in person while I was getting some work done at Buckhead Imports a couple of weeks ago.

In regards to BI, I still have a great deal to learn about what should or should not be done with a tune so I can't say for sure one way or another as to how safe their tunes are. What I can say is they are super nice folks and took a great deal of time to answer any questions I had, took me on a tour of their facility and they were working on some really REALLY nice rides. (Had a new GT3 RS there that was over the top!) Based on my observations and the recommendations from other mbworld members I have the utmost confidence in BI and will be using them again unless I have some solid and compelling reason not to.
Thanks a ton for the compliments Too bad my car was filthy dirty from all the rain while it was there. You are correct, the GT3 RS was a jaw dropper. Did you get to hear Jason's RMS SCed M5? One of the best sounding cars on the planet
Old 12-15-2011, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
The car is much more fun do drive in manual mode with the paddle shifters. It actually shifts when you call for a shift. Much more responsive.

I haven't got to beat on it too much yet, so I can't make a full assessment. I can say is that it shifts as smooth as stock when driven normally.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 05 E55 Wagon ECU/TCU Tune results