W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little annoying problems with your car?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:46 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Originally Posted by danlnyc
The most annoying problem I have is the volume control. It's SO irritating!!! The volume goes up when I'm stopping and goes down when I accelerate. Sometimes, its the opposite. And sometimes I'll have the volume completely off and out of nowhere it'll gradually increase in volume until I can hear it again without ever having to raise the volume manually....I've asked my dealership to turn this sh*t off but they have no idea what I'm talking about...sigh
+1. It can be removed in STAR, if you find someone somewhat knowledgeable...
Old 12-27-2011, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC63s, W222 S63, W223 S580
How the wonderful pop-up cup holders dont work lol..
Old 12-27-2011, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by Johncy2000
Pano roof always creeking when going over a speed bump. I hate that sound!
Same here...complain to stealer several time, they said it normal on pano I gotten use to it.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:43 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Getting new steel sleeved 5.7 litre block, forged pistons and maybe forged rods. Larger custom cams, 3000 custom built billet stall with added lock up clutches, NEW custom headers and changing to a 195mm interchangeable boost cank pulley for Xmas but none of these items made it in yet. So have a rain check from santa.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 12-27-2011, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
'06 E55
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Getting new steel sleeved 5.7 litre block, forged pistons and maybe forged rods. Larger custom cams, 3000 custom built billet stall with added lock up clutches, NEW custom headers and changing to a 195mm interchangeable boost cank pulley for Xmas but none of these items made it in yet. So have a rain check from santa.

I wish these were my "annoying problems."
Old 12-27-2011, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC63s, W222 S63, W223 S580
Originally Posted by Denroll
I wish these were my "annoying problems."

hahahaha I was thinking the same thing!

Brooke I cannot wait to see the silver monster out on the streets again!
Old 12-27-2011, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2007 BMW 335i Coupe & 1991 Honda Accord
Originally Posted by Johncy2000
Pano roof always creeking when going over a speed bump. I hate that sound!
Same here. I should have learned from my past experience and stayed away from the pano roof. Almost $1,000 later, I have decided not to have the dealer try to fix it anymore. Let me know if you find a fix. Aside from the desired AMG engine noise, it is just ridiculous that Hyundais and other cars i rent for work trips have much quieter interiors and MB wants us to live with it.
The plastic around my instrument panel also creaks.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:27 PM

2007 E63, 2007 BMW 335i Coupe & 1991 Honda Accord
Originally Posted by OCKlasse
+1. It can be removed in STAR, if you find someone somewhat knowledgeable...
Wow...OCKlasse, you car looks like a mirror. Nice job!!
Old 05-04-2014, 09:59 PM

w211
Originally Posted by AMGPilot
Sounds like you need to resync both your wipers and your windows. To do you windows roll them down, then hold the switch up while the window goes up, when the window reaches the top continue to hold the switch up for three more seconds. Now the window should operate correctly
How do you resync the wipers?
Old 05-04-2014, 11:21 PM

Blown 208 55 amg, 211 55 amg
Old 05-05-2014, 11:16 AM

2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT - Silverstone II/Fox Red Extended
Good thread. I have to say, this list is but a fraction of what annoyed me on my E39 M5. It's interesting that you guys are experiencing loose bits and squeaks/rattles in your cars, I fortunately can say I have none of that (likely attributed to the lack of options on mine, which only came from the factory with just two extras checked on the build sheet (NAVI & Active Xenon headlamps). My car seems to be pretty solid on that front. My BMWs on the other hand were all rattle traps (and mind you they were maintained with the same care as the Benz). Anyway, on to my list:

-Popping noise when steering at very low, parking lot speeds (even after having most everything suspension or steering related replaced, the problem has been mitigated, but not eliminated. Tech seems to think it's likely normal suspension flex but I'm not as easily convinced)
-The fact that this (once) $90K car needs a new fuel tank after doing just 120K miles is mind boggling...certainly not a problem I ever had with any BMW I owned (all of which had 150K+mi.). In fact, I've never heard of a car that has required an entirely new tank before its had the time to rust itself to pieces. Hardly the case here. Still wishful thinking that the IHTSB & MBUSA will pull through with some sort of goodwill toward recalling that seemingly common and rather unsettling weak point on these cars. Until then, I cannot justify the cost of repair when it's a problem easily but annoyingly solved by limiting fill-ups to consist of no more than three-quarters of a brimmed tank.
- Hate that there's no bird's eye view display option for the pre-facelight W211's w/ NAVI
- The cost of most factory AMG parts and shop fees wouldn't be on the list if it weren't for the frequency that the this car needs said replacement parts and/or shop visits. I've owned it for a touch over a year and I swear it's spent a good 3 months of that time at my local dealer
- Over-assisted steering/lack of steering feel (one of the most prominent things I miss about my old M-cars)
- My passenger mirror ends up in random spots when going in to reverse... sometimes pointed at the sky, sometimes pointed at the ground, never pointed where I want it. (shut off reverse tilt for now)

That's really about it...Mercedes solved most of the problems I had with my M5 which led to the change in the first place. Still a bad a$$ ride aside from the above referenced nitpicks.

Last edited by Quicksilv3r; 05-06-2014 at 10:19 PM. Reason: thanks 55fanatic
Old 05-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
I have some weird annoyances...

-my passenger mirror ends up in random spots when going in to reverse... sometimes pointed at the sky, sometimes pointed at the ground, never pointed where I want it.(shut off reverse tilt for now)

-stupid rattle from my front right... ball joint or tie rod, need to get it replaced under warranty

-After spirited driving, if I switch driving modes(not even sure if its related) I get an ESP warning light, I suspect I need a wheel bearing somewhere
Old 05-06-2014, 10:08 PM

2008 BMW M3 Sedan 6MT - Silverstone II/Fox Red Extended
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
I have some weird annoyances...

-my passenger mirror ends up in random spots when going in to reverse... sometimes pointed at the sky, sometimes pointed at the ground, never pointed where I want it.(shut off reverse tilt for now)

ah yes, I've had mine shut off for so long I nearly forgot about the cursed mirror. I'll add that to my list...
Old 07-28-2014, 06:51 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
ez-go
Originally Posted by kyastas
Most anoying problem I have is clunking suspension(I think) noise when going through the bumps or sometimes when accelerating. Number two is cd changer works only for 2-3 min goes silent and then spits out cd error on all cd's. Number three is the auto trunk opener doesnt open but closing just fine. And thats it for now I hope not to have any more any time soon.
Ball joints. Just had mine replaced.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:31 AM

04 E55
As far as the wobbly seat goes.. my passenger side had it also and it turns out there are hard plastic collars that break in the track assembly. MB will only sell the whole seat track.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

had an alarm siren that was faulty, replaced it and seems to have cured all my minor annoyances(service advisor suggested that all my issues were part of the same SAM unit and the faulty siren, was causing it to act weird)... now I have a rattle in the front right of the car... all suspension bits are tight and ok, noticed the wheel had some play in it, so I tightened up my wheel bearing... cured about 30% of my rattles, but it appears one of my air shocks is on its way out... Still waiting on the coilovers
Old 07-28-2014, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
I can no longer set the time on my clock. You know how when you disconnect the battery and then the clock goes back to 12:00? In the past, it would automatically adjust itself to the correct time. Now it doesn't. If I go into the menu to adjust it, I can only change the hour. The minutes I can only change in 30 minute increments from whatever the minute is. If it says 12:08, I can only make it 12:08 or 12:38. WTF!?
Old 07-28-2014, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
I can no longer set the time on my clock. You know how when you disconnect the battery and then the clock goes back to 12:00? In the past, it would automatically adjust itself to the correct time. Now it doesn't. If I go into the menu to adjust it, I can only change the hour. The minutes I can only change in 30 minute increments from whatever the minute is. If it says 12:08, I can only make it 12:08 or 12:38. WTF!?
My clock setting has always been that way.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine is that way too.... It started about the same time that my GPS started acting weird and didn't know where it was anymore.

I bet if you try your GPS/NAV you will discover that it's got you mapped in some odd location....

I'm still under warranty so if you guys don't figure it out before I get it diagnosed and fixed for free, I will post up with the solution

-G
Old 07-28-2014, 12:06 PM

2008 Escalade, 2004 E55 AMG
SOS call

Originally Posted by Jimshorts
My car will cut off my radio and call SOS randomly... but the call always fails.
I had the same thing happen to me, thought it was the panic feature that my kid pressed on my keys. then it happened when I opended my trunk.

Has not happened again since, weird.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold - 05' E55
Talking about the clock - My pet peeve, is the analog clock. The hour hand is off by like thirty minutes? Even after resetting the time, the hour hand doesn't line up in the correct position.
ODD ?

Last edited by kompressede; 07-28-2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-28-2014, 12:20 PM

1)My sunroof opens up all the way with no issue. But when I try to close, it goes halfway, then opens back up. I have to hold down the button forward to close it.

2)Trunk handle works and then sticks in the open position. I have to manually reset it to use my trunk handle. The button on the right of the handle doens't do anything either.

3)Door handle unlock is bad, I have to replace that.

4)Passenger side mirror reverse angle drops down only when the right mirror is seleceted on my door mirror switch.

5)Faint static from right rear door speaker, even when radio is off and car is running. Fades out when car is turned off.

6)Chirp and slight hesitation when spirited accelerating.

7)Dead body clunk in rear, more than likely a subframe bolt broke in the rear.

8)Fuel smell, checked rear seat and no leak. Possible o-ring on back of fuel rail failed.

Last edited by eljefe7070; 07-28-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: More info added.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55
Originally Posted by GregMB
Mine is that way too.... It started about the same time that my GPS started acting weird and didn't know where it was anymore.

I bet if you try your GPS/NAV you will discover that it's got you mapped in some odd location....
I don't even use that garbage nav system. My DVD drive quit working a year ago and I just didn't care. For poops and giggles, I had the parts guy at the dealer look up how much a new DVD drive for the nav unit was and it was over $2k! Hahahaha, good one, Mercedes!

I have since ordered one of those mounts for cell phone that goes into the CD slot and holds the phone with a magnet. Phone is right where the Nav screen would be and now I can use Waze.

But yeah, the time used to update by itself, which was nice. I wonder if it's the antenna or a fuse or something simple?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by eljefe7070
1)My sunroof opens up all the way with no issue. But when I try to close, it goes halfway, then opens back up. I have to hold down the button forward to close it.

2)Trunk handle works and then sticks in the open position. I have to manually reset it to use my trunk handle. The button on the right of the handle doens't do anything either.

3)Door handle unlock is bad, I have to replace that.

4)Passenger side mirror reverse angle drops down only when the right mirror is seleceted on my door mirror switch.

5)Faint static from right rear door speaker, even when radio is off and car is running. Fades out when car is turned off.

6)Chirp and slight hesitation when spirited accelerating.

7)Dead body clunk in rear, more than likely a subframe bolt broke in the rear.

8)Fuel smell, checked rear seat and no leak. Possible o-ring on back of fuel rail failed.
have you tried reseting the sunroof, cleaning or lubing the rails? My ML and M3 used to do that, it would close half way because it was out of alignment, something was in the rails, or they needed more grease.

The chirp during spirited acceleration can be remedied with a Belt wrap kit
Old 07-28-2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by 55fanatic
have you tried reseting the sunroof, cleaning or lubing the rails? My ML and M3 used to do that, it would close half way because it was out of alignment, something was in the rails, or they needed more grease.

The chirp during spirited acceleration can be remedied with a Belt wrap kit
I did try cleaning them, i should look into doing it again. What would you use for greasing the rails?

I need to ask Shardul for that kit again. Time to shell out the funds. Wifey is gonna chew me up a little for this, but i know how to sell it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Little annoying problems with your car?