Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This really makes me wonder............

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63 AMG, 1991 NSX, 2007 Corvette
Craig- I kind of ran into the same problem when I first got my NSX.
I couldn't believe that the Comptech supercharger was going for $10,000 when I would see superchargers for say the Mustang going for less than half.
Comptech told me it was because of the limited number of NSX's built vs. Mustangs.
Keep in mind that that Toyota would have to charge a million dollars for their Camry if they only built as many as McLaren did for the F1 model.
Of course competition always helps drive prices down, but few companies want to spend the upfront costs of R&D and mfg. costs when the target market is so small.
You make some great points and it would be awesome if there were more options available for our cars. Take a stab and mail out some letters.
We tried that with Honda when we heard that they were going to build a new NSX. We wanted them to step up and add more power, Honda can certainly do it since they are in F1 so you never know. How cool would a NSX be with a smokin V10 behind the seats !!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Liquid cooled KB mammoth kit on our cars would be the way to go. That would get rid of all heat issues with our cars. I will call KB tomorrow about dimensions. That would be a start.

Originally Posted by stevieg
Craig- I kind of ran into the same problem when I first got my NSX.
I couldn't believe that the Comptech supercharger was going for $10,000 when I would see superchargers for say the Mustang going for less than half.
Comptech told me it was because of the limited number of NSX's built vs. Mustangs.
Keep in mind that that Toyota would have to charge a million dollars for their Camry if they only built as many as McLaren did for the F1 model.
Of course competition always helps drive prices down, but few companies want to spend the upfront costs of R&D and mfg. costs when the target market is so small.
You make some great points and it would be awesome if there were more options available for our cars. Take a stab and mail out some letters.
We tried that with Honda when we heard that they were going to build a new NSX. We wanted them to step up and add more power, Honda can certainly do it since they are in F1 so you never know. How cool would a NSX be with a smokin V10 behind the seats !!!!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:45 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG Sold 2010 E550 Coupe totaled '13 SL550 current and loving it!
Another thing to consider is people have been modding pony cars for almost 50yrs. Those cars are bought to be modded. Most benzs are not. These cars are far too expensive to repair when you blow a tranny or whatever. It's a much riskier endevour for tuners. I am not one to push the envelope like some of you guys but God bless and keep it going!! I love seeing what you nutballs come up with and how fast you are actually making these cars. Keep up the amazing work.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by shardul
If the price of a new AMG will equal to the price of a new mustang then yes you will see hot rodding in the benz world get this big.
Pricing if the car isn't as important as the size of the market that mods them. ZR1 is a good example. Check pricing of mods for those things. It will make you cry when you see the pricing vs Mb pricing. ZR1 is nit a cheap car either. Viper, ford gt, etc etc
Old 12-14-2011, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211-55
2 doors, 4 doors; apples, oranges; class, ***. 99% of the 55K/63 AMG owners I know did not buy their cars solely to run against muscle cars, exotics, or sports coupes. Heck, you can make a Yugo run 9's with enough time and money, but it'll never feel quite the same as a 2-ton 4-door family car walking a Lambo.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:31 PM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Liquid cooled KB mammoth kit on our cars would be the way to go. That would get rid of all heat issues with our cars. I will call KB tomorrow about dimensions. That would be a start.
The KB on the Beast would be the mutt's nuts
Old 12-15-2011, 01:25 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 CLS63S AMG, 2017 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate, 2019 KTM 1290 Super Adventure R
Amen that brother I sold a 10-second GMC Syclone and an EVO IX MR SE and don't miss either. This car is the total package and I love driving it. If I just want to drag race and impress other guys, I'll get a GT-R or ZR-1. The E55 panty dropper is just what I was looking for and it's plenty fast. I had a Mustang 5.0 with blower back in the late early 90s...been there, done that.

Originally Posted by pearlpower
To be honest, I give a rats *** about Mustangs or Corvettes even if one does a 1sec qtr. A 10-11 second luxury sedan does it for many. I'm grateful for what does exist for this platform and the many great vendors & enthusiasts here that support it.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by cahiil55k
2 doors, 4 doors; apples, oranges; class, ***. 99% of the 55K/63 AMG owners I know did not buy their cars solely to run against muscle cars, exotics, or sports coupes. Heck, you can make a Yugo run 9's with enough time and money, but it'll never feel quite the same as a 2-ton 4-door family car walking a Lambo.
CTS V
Old 12-15-2011, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
Hello Chawkins, best topic thus far. Most upgrades are just no good.

I would be very interested in the outcome of your KB mammoth kit.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Rest assured, by the close of 2012, there will be either a whipple 2.9 or KB mammoth blower sitting on top of my e55 motor.

BIP is already a Whipple dealer and 3/4 the way through a build that is custom fitting a that twinscrew to a platform that is very very similar to ours. That platform has never had a build like this down before, it is a one off. As mentioned the block is very similar to ours and it was bored out, cylinders sleeved, and forged pistons dropped in. Heads were also race ported. It actually goes today to have the custom intake built to mate the Whipple to the motor. External top mount intercoolers are going to be run.

With all that been said, it Will be debuted on here shortly and off course taken to the track. I can't wait for it to he finished.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
To be honest, I give a rats *** about Mustangs or Corvettes even if one does a 1sec qtr. A 10-11 second luxury sedan does it for many. I'm grateful for what does exist for this platform and the many great vendors & enthusiasts here that support it.
W3RD!

Stop trying to turn an E55 into a run-of-the-mill Mustang or Corvette...

A big shrieking blower, drag slicks and exhaust cutouts have no place on a street-driven E55. Going for a dragstrip record?....Great, knock yourself out with that stuff. In everyday life, the E55 is a luxurious, high-end car....quiet, comfortable and powerful.

Those Mustangs and that yellow Corvette are "LOOK AT ME!!!" cars... Painted with garish colors and clad with all sorts of fins and wings that assault the eyes. They are desperate attention seekers that refuse to be ignored.... And forgive me, but that also speaks to the personality of the person driving it.

When you are a bit more self-assured and confident, its not important to drive around in a car that looks like a big noisy beachball. When I'm in the E55.... I know what I've got and don't care if 99% of the world has no idea that it's an iron fist wrapped in a black velvet glove.

On a slightly different theme, when you are on enthusiast forums like this it's easy to forget that this demographic isn't exactly representative of a huge market segment...... The E55 is a minuscule sliver of the overall car population, and the enthusiasts on this site are a small slice of THAT sliver.... You're talking about a handful of rabid enthusiasts nationwide (make that worldwide )..... It's a tiny, tiny marketplace for vendors. We spend so much time talking to each other on these forums that we forget how small the "modified E55 owners club" really is.

-G
Old 12-15-2011, 08:45 AM

2004 E55, 2010 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S
Amen, Brotha GregMB

Originally Posted by GregMB
W3RD!

A big shrieking blower, drag slicks and exhaust cutouts have no place on a street-driven E55. Going for a dragstrip record?....Great, knock yourself out with that stuff. In everyday life, the E55 is a luxurious, high-end car....quiet, comfortable and powerful.

Those Mustangs and that yellow Corvette are "LOOK AT ME!!!" cars... Painted with garish colors and clad with all sorts of fins and wings that assault the eyes. They are desperate attention seekers that refuse to be ignored.... And forgive me, but that also speaks to the personality of the person driving it.

When you are a bit more self-assured and confident, its not important to drive around in a car that looks like a big noisy beachball. When I'm in the E55.... I know what I've got and don't care if 99% of the world has no idea that it's an iron fist wrapped in a black velvet glove.

On a slightly different theme, when you are on enthusiast forums like this it's easy to forget that this demographic isn't exactly representative of a huge market segment...... The E55 is a minuscule sliver of the overall car population, and the enthusiasts on this site are a small slice of THAT sliver.... You're talking about a handful of rabid enthusiasts nationwide (make that worldwide )..... It's a tiny, tiny marketplace for vendors. We spend so much time talking to each other on these forums that we forget how small the "modified E55 owners club" really is.

-G
Nough said!!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Calm down there gun slinger. Not everybody wants to blend in with every other civilian and go through life unnoticed.

Some of us want to make an impact and be heard. Just out of curiosity Greg, what car did you come from before you purchased a e55? So you saying you never ever want the option of increasing power and performance beyond a couple bolts ons? Built short blocks, aftermarket huffers, better suspension does not interest you?

If that is the case, good for you, dont get all butt soar about it

On a side note, how am I trying to turn and E55 into a mustang for the name of God, because I brought up the aftermarket beyond simple bolt ons for these cars blow? A simple comparison does not transform one platform into another bro.

W3RD!

-G

Last edited by chawkins2001; 12-15-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
W3RD!

-G
Couldnt have said it better. E55 is a luxurious, high-end car....quiet, comfortable and powerful all in one package. Great looking on the street and can hold its own on the 1320.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211-55

When you are a bit more self-assured and confident, its not important to drive around in a car that looks like a big noisy beachball.
HAHAHAHA!!!! I knocked over my coffee laughing at this...so funny yet so true!
Old 12-15-2011, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
W3RD!

-G
i thought we were all making our cars faster to out run johnny law with a trunk full of shine? ... wait, i have been watching too much "moonshiners" on discovery channel last night as my DVR had all the episodes waiting for me

btw... you're totally on point with the how small the "modified E55 owners club" really is... maybe 20-30 of us... not enough to get any big vendors super interested...

but i kinda dont get all this talk about whipples and KB when weistec has already announced a 3.0L blower for the 55s ? wouldnt that be easier and WAYY cheaper than trying to one off a KB onto our cars?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by gaspam
i thought we were all making our cars faster to out run johnny law with a trunk full of shine? ... wait, i have been watching too much "moonshiners" on discovery channel last night as my DVR had all the episodes waiting for me

btw... you're totally on point with the how small the "modified E55 owners club" really is... maybe 20-30 of us... not enough to get any big vendors super interested...

but i kinda dont get all this talk about whipples and KB when weistec has already announced a 3.0L blower for the 55s ? wouldnt that be easier and WAYY cheaper than trying to one off a KB onto our cars?
Weistec's option is a huge positive step for us modding guys, but lets be honest, I bet their pricing is going to be outrageous. I am thinking the blower will be 3 times the price of a similar size KB or Whipple.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
W3RD!

-G
Sounds like you should be owning an E550 or E500 not an AMG. AMG is all about adding performance to a regular Mercedes. AMG does the large blowers, bigger engines, bigger wheels, large spoilers, and louder exhaust. I'm sure there were the naysayers that said that AMG or any tuning firm should not be modifying a Mercedes, they are too expensive and too luxurious for that. Looks like Mercedes understood that there was an untapped niche and that's how we ended up with the AMG's of today.

I agree that we are a group of enthusiasts that represents a much smaller group of owners that are willing to modify their vehicles, but that goes for all vehicles. Of course the AMG market is much smaller, but maybe we should be thinking about the actual engine and not just only the AMG variant.

I'm sure that what ever modifications that can be done to the m113k could be applied to the m113, as far as changing out the blower. Of course the boost would have to be lowered or a few other things would need to be changed. There is a much larger market if we consider the m113 engine as a whole and not just the AMG variant.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Weistec's option is a huge positive step for us modding guys, but lets be honest, I bet their pricing is going to be outrageous. I am thinking the blower will be 3 times the price of a similar size KB or Whipple.
i agree the whole unit will be way higher than just buying a whipple, but getting the whipple to work with our car will incur a lot of cost and thinking in the end would be more expensive... but if you can get it done for cheaper than the weistec option then mad props to you bro and i will be subscribed
Old 12-15-2011, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Oh yeah, one more thing, the tuning options for MB sux *** compare to pretty much everything else too.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
Oh yeah, one more thing, the tuning options for MB sux *** compare to pretty much everything else too.
See Lexus.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
Bingo!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
See Lexus.
What's wrong with Lexus? I've Serb is300 run 8s
Old 12-15-2011, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
What's wrong with Lexus? I've Serb is300 run 8s
I did not say anything was wrong with them, but go ahead and try to get a tune on a REAL Lexus, not a Supra hybrid. Piggy back is about it. MB tuning is way ahead of Lexus tuning.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I did not say anything was wrong with them, but go ahead and try to get a tune on a REAL Lexus, not a Supra hybrid. Piggy back is about it. MB tuning is way ahead of Lexus tuning.
I didn't know that. I've seen twin turbo gs400, even remote mount turbo isf but I guess they use piggy back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: This really makes me wonder............