Sponsored by:

Trans Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Trans Help

Dealership installed new alternator and during the job reversed my trans cooler lines, when I got car back it would blow fluid out vent tube at high Rpm after warmed up then was informed after bringing car back in it blew out detent gasket. They repaired gasket and I again picked car up and still same issue it blew trans fluid out vent tube at high rpm, the replaced another gasket on trans and said they fixed it, but again same issue after 4 trips to resolve this issue I was under car on lift with shop manager together were we found missing bracket for cooler line and bent line and discovered they were reversed. They switched them for me to proper locations and car seemed better but in less then 200 mles is still blowing out fluid, its now slipping and was stuck in 3rd gear on highway till I did ecu reset.

Did this line reversal cause transmission not to be cooled and make excessive heat before they found issue and cause all this permenant damage? I have heard "yes" from a few good sources, just looking for more edcuated opinions on this I never had any issues with trans till the day I picked it up for alternator swap and its right above the lines that would have to be disconnected if attempting to swap out from bottom.

Car is stock 2006 E55

Thanks
Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
For God sake! They owe you a tranny at least!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Heat is the enemy of all transmission, they at least owe you either a new tranny, or a complete rebuild. The clutch packs are probably fried, and that's causing your slippage issues.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I can't see how the lines being reversed would affect cooling because the oil cooler inside the radiator will still do it's function just the same regardless of the direction of the flow. You said it had a bent line however, THIS could be a HUGE problem because those lines kink very easily will cause overflow in some parts of the tranny and low fluid in other parts.

I don't even know how a dealer could screw up this bad. Regardless, I would say it is DEFINITELY their problem...they screwed up...they pay for it.