Model Year '04 Confirmed Changes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally posted by hmrdwn

And let's face it, if you think it is going to increase your resale in five or more years...you are crazy. It will be sooooooo obsolete in two years that it will look like Atari compared to an X-Box.
Again, if Nav does not increase the resale value then the non-nav cars would cost the same in the used market. That is not so.

As far as being obsolete. Cars are not like PC's, thank God, and the Electronics do not go obsolete as fast. This is 2003 and my Nav system was put into production four years ago (1999) - It is far from Obsolete.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 06-20-2003 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Oh No, Not Again

Originally posted by Dr Chill
Are we going to rehash this often visited topic once again? My take on this is:

NAV IS FOR ****!!!!!!
NON-NAV IS FOR GERIACTICS & TECHO-PHOBES!!!!!

Old people and those afraid too use computers are the demographic least likely to want and use navigation technology.

It seems those that don't like Nav usually downgrade the others and those that like Nav just say "if you want NAV get it".

There is nothing wrong with having or not having Nav and there is nothing wrong with waiting to get it in a 2004 E55 instead of buying a 2003 model. Anyone that says that Nav does not increase the cars 'value' is incorrect. All you have to do is go to Kelley Blue Book or NADA to figure it out. It may not be much but it is something.

The decision to have or not have Nav is purely up to the buyer. No need to argue over it.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 06-20-2003 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2003, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by E55 KEV
Again, if Nav does not increase the resale value then the non-nav cars would cost the same in the used market. That is not so.
Since a car with nav cost more new, you'd expect a used one with nav to sell for more. Just like the resale value of a E55 should be higher than a E500. Of course, the depreciation on the nav (and the price differential between the E55 and E500) gets eaten by the original owner...and options generally take a bigger depreciation hit than the base car. I've never selected a car's color or options based on resale value--I buy them for me to enjoy .
Old 06-20-2003, 03:25 PM
alz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An E55 is a TOY

Nav is a toy -- you Don't NEED Nav -- Just like you don't NEED to go 1-100 mph under 10 seconds (in the US) or massaging seats -- BUT we WANT IT.

Surely resale has little to do with it. If the Nav cost $3k and the depreciation on the car at the end of its useful life for you is 50% the Nav will likely get you a $1,500 over a non-Nav car -- even if the nav is only hit by 40% depreciation, thats $1800 or a $300 premium, WHO CARES! A nice dinner out with a good bottle of wine costs as much (and that dinner is gone in a day or two depending on your metabolism while the Nav is there to stay day in day out!)

We are spending silly amounts of money on this car -- Price is NOT THE POINT. If it is, get an E500.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:35 PM

CLK55, Mini S
Kev -
If I go to buy a used E55, either I want the Nav, or I don't care. Chances are if a dealer or private seller has a car with Nav, and I don't want Nav, or pretend I don't want it...do you really think the price is not coming down? I know you love to live on Edmunds comparing the quickly fading value of your seldom-driven car, but get real. On a one or two year old car it may make some difference at trade in or sale, probably a couple hundred bucks compared to the $2k+ it cost to get as an option, but after 3-5years, it doesn't matter.

Some joker trying to dump his "low miles '00 E55" in the WPost today for $52.9k - LMAO! There's an '02 w 13kmiles same page, above it for $57k! Think it would matter if the '00 had COMMAND? Hell, no. I might call him up and offer him $40k just to give him a reality check.

I guess point is, if you want it and want to pay for NAV, great. But don't give me that crap about resale it's
Old 06-21-2003, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML55, 2006 C6 Z06
One simple question.

Would you non-Nav guys order it if you could purchase a aftermarket box that gave you meduim to high speed internet access threw the Nav system, how about a touch screen as well?
Old 06-21-2003, 08:35 PM

audiS4 avant
I know the British spec E55 has more extras --- including the price over 95000 dollars!!
Old 06-21-2003, 10:45 PM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
Pocket PC NAV

I love the idea of NAV, but I'm not keen on the rapid obsolesence of the DVD and subsequet repurchase of DVD's. I use a compaq #1900 series pocket PC with GPS and the greatest map program I've ever used, "Mapopolis" to guide me in unfamiliar territories. I download the very current, very detailed maps (including banks, resturaunts and points of interest), place it in my car with the handy dandy adapter, and I'm ready for a road trip. It give visual and audio commands so my eyes never leave the road. I can also move it easliy from vehicle to vehicle. I don't use it on a daily basis as I live in a rather small town, but I use my pocket PC to run the rest of my life. (it even works on the water with my boat)

I think that the guys living in major metro areas may need the NAV on a daily basis. But for us small town guys on the occasional excursion, the pocket PC option works great! Plus it's only about $400.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOGIC 101!

Originally posted by hmrdwn
Kev -
If I go to buy a used E55, either I want the Nav, or I don't care. Chances are if a dealer or private seller has a car with Nav, and I don't want Nav, or pretend I don't want it...do you really think the price is not coming down? I know you love to live on Edmunds comparing the quickly fading value of your seldom-driven car, but get real. On a one or two year old car it may make some difference at trade in or sale, probably a couple hundred bucks compared to the $2k+ it cost to get as an option, but after 3-5years, it doesn't matter.

Some joker trying to dump his "low miles '00 E55" in the WPost today for $52.9k - LMAO! There's an '02 w 13kmiles same page, above it for $57k! Think it would matter if the '00 had COMMAND? Hell, no. I might call him up and offer him $40k just to give him a reality check.

I guess point is, if you want it and want to pay for NAV, great. But don't give me that crap about resale it's
Some of this debate is opinion (like noses) and some is factual. This is fact - a Nav cars value is more than a non Nav car. How much more is moot. You don't need leather in a car neither but the value of a Leather interior is more that a car with cloth seats. A CD player is not needed either and a car with a CD player has more value than one without. What about a sunroof - no value? Maybe you want to argue those points also - that Leather CD or a sunroof does not increase resale value?

Saying that Nav in 'any' car does not increase the value is totally false and opininated regardless of me (E55 KEV) wanting it or not.

The seller of a car with Nav is still going to price his car with the value of the Nav included. Those useless examples of used E55's listed in the Wash Post is not enough information to determine which car is the better deal and what price the owner takes. Those are just asking prices.

Looks like you are spending too much time looking at Washington Post ads for used E55's. Not satisfied with your Navless CLK55?

As I posted prior. Those that don't have Nav or don't want Nav seem to always be on the defensive and calling names and insults about a silly option in a car.

I have posted time and time again - If you want it get and you don't that is cool. Make no difference to me, but saying that Nav does not increase the value of "a" car is untrue and not logical. If it did then I have a used car for sale - no Nav, No CD, no roof and cloth seats and the price is the same as a car with Nav, Leather, sunroof and CD.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 06-23-2003 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Just because a DVD goes obsolete doensn't mean it won't work. And news flash, you pocket PDA's map database will also get obsolete and hence you'll need to buy an upgrade.

I've tried GPS on my laptop, to big and input is a pain while driving. I've bought a Garmine Streetpilot III, and it works but the screen is too small and inputing is very slow. Nothing beats a built in GPS. Intergration, simplicity, speed, its just so much better. And really, if you're spending $80K for a car, what's another $2K? If that will kill a deal for you, then maybe an $80K car isn't for you.