Model Year '04 Confirmed Changes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 12:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M5, Porsche 911, Mercedes-Benz E55
Model Year '04 Confirmed Changes

I just got off the phone with someone in upper management at Mercedes Benz USA. I asked her yesterday if she could confirm whether the "Bird's Eye View" feature will indeed be a feature on the navigation portion of MY '04 COMAND. She's been telling me for months that all upcoming MY '04 W211 cars (i.e. E320, E500 and E55) will have this "Bird's Eye View" navigation feature as part of COMAND. As of today, that's all changed!

DaimlerChrysler in Germany just sent her back a message that NONE of W211 cars will be receiving this feature in MY '04. Too bad for me as this is one of the reasons that I cancelled my late-MY '03 E55 order so that I can get an early-MY '04 which was supposedly going to be when Mercedes-Benz would launch this "Bird's Eye View" feature (i.e. I've been willing to wait until such time as COMAND would definitely be available for MY '03).

Oh well, since I've already waited this long for COMAND anyways, I guess that the wait wouldn't be too much longer for an early-MY '04 car (i.e. MY '04 production begins in the second decade of August. However, deliveries to dealers probably won't occur until October as it is MBUSA's policy to not start delivering new Model Year cars until such time as there's an "adequate" inventory to "fairly" supply dealers nationwide.).

On another front, I'm really not not really sure if the Bi-Xenon option for MY '04 will include the Active Light System (i.e. directional). My source says that it will be available for E320 and E500 cars, but "don't count on it being available on the E55!" Maybe this has something to do with MBUSA receiving DOT approval/certification for this feature with the different front bumper on the E55? (i.e. maybe MBUSA has so far only gotten DOT approval/certification on the W211 family with the standard (i.e. non-E55 AMG) front bumper? Who knows!

The representation that these Bi-Xenon headlamps with Active Light System would be available in the USA at the beginning of MY '04 was but another reason why I've been waiting for an early-production MY '04 car. Now with the news that these directional headlights will likely not be available on MY '04 U.S. version E55s, I really feel like a fool (i.e. in hindsight, I should've just ordered an early production MY '03 car and been done with it!).

It just seems strange that the highest performing W211 car probably won't receive this feature at first whilst its slower E320 and E500 siblings initially will. In fact, if you check out the British Mercedes-Benz website: http://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk you will discover that Bi-Xenon headlamps are standard on the E55 (unlike in the USA), and the Bi-Xenon headlamps with Active Light System are already an available option (Option Code 616).

As a side note, there is no Panorama Roof option in the UK (I guess the Mercedes marketing people configure the cars differently for different markets).

It seems that the only change for MY '04 E55s in the USA will be the possible addition of an AMG badge on the passenger side of the dash. I'm guessing/hoping that Bird's Eye View for the navigation and Bluetooth will finally make their way to the public for MY '05.

Last edited by Symbolic; 06-19-2003 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:34 PM

Interesting... Are you saying the Navi-Command system will not be available for 04 or just the birds eye view. I just saw the option book sent out by MB and the Nav-Command is and option and has an option code.

I agree with you on the cornering lights.

amgB
Old 06-18-2003, 02:47 PM

E55
What is the 'bird's eye view' feature?
Old 06-18-2003, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally posted by Pbglas
What is the 'bird's eye view' feature?
Is this view what a bird sees as he shi-ts on you car?
Old 06-18-2003, 04:42 PM

E55
Is this view what a bird sees as he shi-ts on you car?

Before or after he ****s?

Anyway is it for route guidance or parallel parking?
Old 06-18-2003, 05:53 PM

Opinion on Nav Systems

There's been alot of discussion regarding the nav system--should you wait for an '04 so you can get nav, etc. I had nav on my '00 BMW 740i (it came standard), and while it's a neat toy, my experience is after playing with it for a few times in the first week or so, after that, in 4 years I used it maby 5 times. When I ordered my '02 Carrera, I elected not to spend the ~$3K for the nav system. With yahoo maps, mapquest, etc, about the only time you need the nav is if you somehow get lost, and my solution for that is to use your car cell phone to call wherever you're going and get directions.

So not only would I not wait for an '04 to get a nav system, even if I were ordering an '04, I wouldn't get it. Even on these very expensive cars, it's very hard to justify several thousand dollars for this option. Just my opinion, no offense to anybody who ordered it, and please, no flames, OK!!!!!
Old 06-18-2003, 06:30 PM

2004 S55
Pioneer's website shows an example of what their bird's-eye view looks like. It's about 3/4 of the way down the page at the following link:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...~21559,00.html

I'm pretty sure the Mercedes Bird's-Eye 3-D view is supposed to be the larger view rather than the smaller inset. As for this not being included in 2004 MY DVD Command systems, it's unfortunate but not a huge loss. However, it is a little bit troublesome that after all the headaches MBUSA went through with '03 E-Class retrofits (now rebuilds), a touted feature of the new DVD Nav would be ommitted when it finally becomes available. We'll have to see how well the new system works before making any final judgements, however.

Jeff
Old 06-18-2003, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord EX V6
Thx for the info.. very helpful
Old 06-18-2003, 06:56 PM

E55
Pioneer's website shows an example of what their bird's-eye view looks like. It's about 3/4 of the way down the page at the following link:

Thanks Jeff. That was indeed very helpful.

What is the difference between bird's eye view and the standard display many cars have --- including MB's? So if it does not have a bird's eye view, what sort of display would it have? The first route guidance for MB's had only words. But not for a long itme, I think.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:02 AM

2004 S55
Well, the best idea of what it will look like may come from the DVD Command system already in use in Europe. Mercedes Germany makes interactive owner's manuals available online that are more than just pdfs. Certain features are higlighted using multimedia clips. Here is a link to the Command section of E-Class manual (English version):

http://www.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars/...en/comand.html

You can check out various features, including Nav by clicking on various buttons. Hope this helps.

Jeff
Old 06-19-2003, 09:25 AM

BMW 330CIC
Great Link!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 09:37 AM

e55k
I agree with Poursha. The navigation system is a costly toy that won't get much use and will definitely not enhance resale values. The current stereo is difficult enough to use and I can't imagine what the COMMAND interface adds to the complexity of use.

The Infiniti Q45 has had "Birds Eye" Navigation for over 3 years.

David
Old 06-19-2003, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Maybe you mean it does not increase resale value by much!

Originally posted by LYSHOLM
.. The navigation system is a costly toy that won't get much use and will definitely not enhance resale values...
David
Navigation does enhance resell value. If not, a used E55 with Nav would value the 'exact' same price as a E55 with no nav, having all else equal. Using KBB as a used pricing source the price difference between a 2002 E55 with Nav is $1100 today.

Plus, the value has little to do with demand. 'Resale value' and 'consumer demand' are too separate things. The resale value may not increase by much but demand 'may' be higher for the car with the Nav system by customers. The used E55 without Navigation will/may be harder to sell.

See into the future! You are buying a non Nav E55 in 2003 which you may sell in 5 years. In the year 2008 trying to sell a car without nav may be so 'last century' because everything or most everything on the road down to Honda Civics, Toyota Corollas and Chevy's will be equiped with Navigation.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:29 AM

E55
Well, the best idea of what it will look like may come from the DVD Command system already in use in Europe. Mercedes Germany makes interactive owner's manuals available online that are more than just pdfs. Certain features are higlighted using multimedia clips. Here is a link to the Command section of E-Class manual (English version):

Thanks Jeff.

I am still confused, now on an additional point. The `manual' talks of dynamic route guidance. This requires information on congestion. I did not know such info was available. Any thoughts?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:55 PM

2004 S55
I don't believe traffic data via RDS is currently done in the US or at least not very common. Several years ago, a system called CUE was tossed around by a company offering it to drivers through special pager devices in radios. However, I think the company or that particular project is now defunct.

Jeff

Last edited by rgbyhkr; 06-19-2003 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:44 PM

E55
Thanks Jeff.

I just got an Email newsletter claiming that dynamic route guidance is still not possible. Wonder why MB is offering it?

Many expressways are monitored and have been for many decades. These are used in traffic channels and by 611 [if it has not died]. It is possible to use additional rf space in conventional radio broadcasts to broadcast a limited amount of info. But it seems we would have heard via newspapers if this had reaced a commercializable stage.

BTW Motorola had a prototype around 1990, but they pulled hte plug on this since their marketing told them people will not pay for it.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Oh No, Not Again

Originally posted by E55 KEV
Navigation does enhance resell value. If not, a used E55 with Nav would value the 'exact' same price as a E55 with no nav, having all else equal. Using KBB as a used pricing source the price difference between a 2002 E55 with Nav is $1100 today.

Plus, the value has little to do with demand. 'Resale value' and 'consumer demand' are too separate things. The resale value may not increase by much but demand 'may' be higher for the car with the Nav system by customers. The used E55 without Navigation will/may be harder to sell.

See into the future! You are buying a non Nav E55 in 2003 which you may sell in 5 years. In the year 2008 trying to sell a car without nav may be so 'last century' because everything or most everything on the road down to Honda Civics, Toyota Corollas and Chevy's will be equiped with Navigation.
Are we going to rehash this often visited topic once again? My take on this is:

NAV IS FOR ****!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2003, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
I'm a *** then. I want NAV. I want NAV. I want NAV.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:24 PM

one of seven
I wanna buy a '1970 Olds 442 W-30 Convertible', but not until NAV is available ...
Old 06-19-2003, 11:37 PM

one of seven
Chill, when I was growing up, my parents had a 1968 Olds 442 - dark green/black int/wood wheel ........ that car was the bomb...... right up there with my 1966 GTO !!
Old 06-20-2003, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
So not only would I not wait for an '04 to get a nav system, even if I were ordering an '04, I wouldn't get it. Even on these very expensive cars, it's very hard to justify several thousand dollars for this option. Just my opinion, no offense to anybody who ordered it, and please, no flames, OK!!!!!

............I think buying a new Mb without Comand is a mistake. It is more than just for navigation. It serves as an integraded audio/visual center for the phone, CD, DVD if choose etc. While I'm not sure it is neccessary to wait for it, I think that refusing to get it when it is available is one of those decisins one regrets later.

Ted
Old 06-20-2003, 12:58 AM

E55
I think a Nav system is like a microwave. You don't know what you are missing until you get one.

I used a prototpye system around 1990. Inputting addresses were a pain then. I hope it is better now. That is why I like the idea of voice inputting of addresses which has been in prototype form for over 5 years and I cannot see why it has not yet come to market.

But it is a whole lot better than getting directions and looking at pieces of paper where directions are written... or losing the paper or making a mistake and finding your cell phone is not working....

I am disappointed though that some of the other nav things have not come to pass. Knowing is a parking spot is available at the destination and reserving it ahead of time is one I would find useful.

Dynamic route guidance is another.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:51 AM

2004 S55
In this day and age of technological innovations and consumers who are ever more digital savvy, a navigation system is a necessary option. Will everyone use it? No. But the wide variety of auto manufacturers that are offering it shows that there certainly is consumer demand.

While driving around one's own town, a nav system may not be necessary (although you never know when you want to find a new place to eat but don't have net access or a phone book handy to find one). However, it can certainly be useful on a roadtrip. I used Hertz's Neverlost II system (a Magellan 750 NAV Plus) while on a trip to Pennsylvania and it made finding things in an unfamiliar place MUCH easier.

As Ted says, the Nav interface is used for your audio system as well. If the US model will be able to play video DVDs like the Euro model, then it is much more than a Nav system with a fancy audio interface. Personally, I think the after-market offerings are much cooler but the system integration offered on manufacturer's systems (Nav and audio info on console display, steering wheel control, etc) is reason enough for me to stick with the manufacturer's option.

If anyone is interested in a cool after-market system replacement, Pioneer makes some pretty damn cool ones. Their newest offering features a 7" touchscreen, motorized display with a DVD player and multichannel (Dolby Digital, DTS, etc) decoder built into the head unit. With additional features like MP3 CD playback, ID3 Tag support, multi-zone output (for rear-seat displays), XM sattelite radio control, DVD-Audio playback and built-in TV tuner, this unit (the AVH-P7500DVD) is pretty bad ***. DVD Nav can be added via the AVIC-80DVD unit.

Jeff

Last edited by rgbyhkr; 06-20-2003 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:01 AM

CLK55, Mini S
The thing that gets me about COMMAND is...THAT IT IS AN OPTION IN AN $80000 CAR!!!!!

Mercedes is plain retarded when it comes to audio/video tech in their cars. Stingy German B ards!

WHY should we pay extra for it! If it can serve as an integrated system for controlling the car...why the can't they just put it in the car...after all they claim to be "The world's finest motorcars..."

So it costs me $5k to get a phone, voice control and COMMAND. That is just F ED!

And let's face it, if you think it is going to increase your resale in five or more years...you are crazy. It will be sooooooo obsolete in two years that it will look like Atari compared to an X-Box.

But I will probably get it.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:16 AM

E55
And let's face it, if you think it is going to increase your resale in five or more years...you are crazy. It will be sooooooo obsolete in two years that it will look like Atari compared to an X-Box.
...which is better than an abacus.

If you have it, they can probably upgrade with software. There might even be private after market software using the display, CPU and DVD only.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Model Year '04 Confirmed Changes