W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips, tricks and visualization of installing a crank pulley!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 01:39 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Tips, tricks and visualization of installing a crank pulley!

Over the years, I have heard and seen a lot of crank pulley`s installed incorrectly. I mean really, this is an easy job!! Just line the slot up on the keyway, apply slight pressure and then torque to spec!

Here is a picture of the end of the crankshaft and the small keyway that the pulley must slide over. It is a half moon keyway and 14mm long. 7mm holds the cam sprocket and 7mm retains the crank pulley. The keyway can not slide out during install or be pushed into the crank, as some think, so dont worry about it falling off.

1) Make sure work area is quiet and no distractions when sliding pulley on keyway. Feel and listen to it go over the keyway. You can only push it on about 1.5 to 2mm by hand an the other five is all wrench Torque. So it is crucial to triple check tha keyway is in pulley slot before tightening. If miss keyway, you may just crush keyway when torquing and then pulley will spin on crank in a matter of minutes. Not 200 miles but minutes and crankshaft damage can happen.
2) After you think you have keyway slot lined up, use a small allen wrench or wire with pulley depth marked an inset to inusre keyway is in slot. If keyway is not in slot, then wire will travel the the extra 5mm deeper.

Use pictures to help understand how easy this is and make sure your tech knows how to triple check your car!!!

Below picture shows how far pulley can slide on keyway by hand. Note gap between pulley hub and cam gear. Once tightened, hub will be tight against cam/oil pump gear.

This picture shows that crankshaft is recessed deep into pulley, even after tightening. It is a true torque fit and torque sequence must be followed to ensure proper bolt stretch to yield.

Here is a picture of keyway depth check, by using wire with tape on end.

Another shot of pulley with crankshaft recessed in pulley.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 01-02-2012, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
Beautiful looking pulley
Old 01-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
it weight the same as a stock crank pulley
Old 01-05-2012, 12:14 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Also, make sure you and your tech use a NEW crank bolt each time (in case your kit does not come with one) . At 25 bucks a pop, many shops may not use a new bolt.

My 200mm pulley on my car weighs only 10.7lbs!! Revs really quick and comes into boost right away!

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 01-05-2012, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
I will print this out and give to the shop that installs the pulley i have. I hope they dont take it as an insult, since they are former MB techs. I know they have done several pulleys for members here, but just piece of mind to have this printed out.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Thanks for the tips.

Aaron
Old 01-06-2012, 04:06 AM

E55 AMG
great write up
Old 01-06-2012, 09:39 AM

MERCO /// AMG e6.3
Originally Posted by novae500
I will print this out and give to the shop that installs the pulley i have. I hope they dont take it as an insult, since they are former MB techs. I know they have done several pulleys for members here, but just piece of mind to have this printed out.
Hey man are you gonna get benzelite to do the install? I called them to install my xenon fogs and lower the car and they quoted me 2 hrs each for labor....I thought that was a little much so I did the fogs by myself in about 1.5hrs . I refeed your name and they said you get special pricing since you gave them lots of business....
Old 01-11-2012, 12:06 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
I can take more pics and different angles, if anyone needs more info. Just want to see that everyone gets a good safe install. It is really not a hard job. I have a lot of parts laying around and off the car right now..lol

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 01-11-2012, 12:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Stage 3 63
hey

Looking Fowards to my pulley

Many thanks!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 12:17 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by BRABUS786
hey

Looking Fowards to my pulley

Many thanks!!!
You will love it bro! Huge drop in rotating weight and insall is sweet!

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 03-02-2012, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
subscribing
Old 03-02-2012, 03:44 PM

CLS55 AMG, TUNDRA PLATINUM, Concours 14 Sold,TRX 700XX Sold
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Over the years, I have heard and seen a lot of crank pulley`s installed incorrectly. I mean really, this is an easy job!! Just line the slot up on the keyway, apply slight pressure and then torque to spec!

Here is a picture of the end of the crankshaft and the small keyway that the pulley must slide over. It is a half moon keyway and 14mm long. 7mm holds the cam sprocket and 7mm retains the crank pulley. The keyway can not slide out during install or be pushed into the crank, as some think, so dont worry about it falling off.

1) Make sure work area is quiet and no distractions when sliding pulley on keyway. Feel and listen to it go over the keyway. You can only push it on about 1.5 to 2mm by hand an the other five is all wrench Torque. So it is crucial to triple check tha keyway is in pulley slot before tightening. If miss keyway, you may just crush keyway when torquing and then pulley will spin on crank in a matter of minutes. Not 200 miles but minutes and crankshaft damage can happen.
2) After you think you have keyway slot lined up, use a small allen wrench or wire with pulley depth marked an inset to inusre keyway is in slot. If keyway is not in slot, then wire will travel the the extra 5mm deeper.

Use pictures to help understand how easy this is and make sure your tech knows how to triple check your car!!!

Below picture shows how far pulley can slide on keyway by hand. Note gap between pulley hub and cam gear. Once tightened, hub will be tight against cam/oil pump gear.

This picture shows that crankshaft is recessed deep into pulley, even after tightening. It is a true torque fit and torque sequence must be followed to ensure proper bolt stretch to yield.

Here is a picture of keyway depth check, by using wire with tape on end.

Another shot of pulley with crankshaft recessed in pulley.
You should send this to Autoscope Dallas, I know sorry
Old 03-26-2012, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 E55, 2010 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S
Would you recommend this for the DIY'er?