W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different Cars - Different Attitudes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
Different Cars - Different Attitudes

I've had a lot of different cars, truck, and morotcyles and find it interesting how other drivers react to my driving style depending on what I'm driving.

I'm a bit of an agressive driver and often get a reaction but what I'm driving seems to make all the difference.

Porsche 911: This car generated the highest number of single digit salutes of any car I've ever owned even when I was driving in a conservative manner. Just something about Porsches that sets people off I guess.

SL55: Not as bad as the 911 but right up there. Often heard negative comments about the cost, two seats, gas hog, etc. when parked or filling up.

Chevy Pick Up: Could do almost anything and nobody would even look let alone flip me off. Might have been the gun rack in the rear window?

E55: Love this car and it's stealth which is one of the top reasons I purchased the car. Nobody knows what it is or pays any attention which is just the way I like it. You can get away with murder in this car. Don't think I've gotten the, "bird", yet in this one.

So, what's your car/attitude story?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
I only get looks from people who clearly know what they're looking at. The stealth thing is both good and sometimes bad because you do want people who don't know cars to acknowledge what you paid for, not in terms of being a "showoff" more of an appreciation for the car.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 108 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Modified Eclipse GSX ( approx 350hp), drove like an idiot, thought it was invincible, should have had my license revoked AWD with a turbo makes you think you have a "tron" motorcycle seens it feels like it can make 90 deg turns. I often beat up hondas, mustangs and C5 vettes, and really needed to grow up ( although I was 29 - 34 when I owned it )

2003 Z06, drove it a little better, since I knew it could beat up 90% of the average cars I only gunned it when I wanted to have fun.

2002 E55 AMG - beat up the occasional mustang, but overall drove it nicely and enjoyed the torque on the highway

2005 E55 AMG - love the "sleeper" unless you know the car, been having a bit of fun so far when I need to pass someone on the highway, but hopefully will just use the "power" when I need it

2003 Ducati Monster Dark - Ride pretty conservatively, I gun it on the onramp but other than that no stupid antics as I want to live

1994 Chevvy Blazer ( POS beater) - Drive it like mad max, move or I'll run you over...
Old 01-03-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
Originally Posted by e500slr
I only get looks from people who clearly know what they're looking at. The stealth thing is both good and sometimes bad because you do want people who don't know cars to acknowledge what you paid for, not in terms of being a "showoff" more of an appreciation for the car.
Different strokes.........different folks. I REALLY don't want the automotive impaired to have any idea. The knowledgable car folks know what's up but even then, the E55 is hard to spot.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by speedpeddler
Different strokes.........different folks. I REALLY don't want the automotive impaired to have any idea. The knowledgable car folks know what's up but even then, the E55 is hard to spot.
That's very true.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550 Coupe Arctic White P2 Appearance
I agree with Speedpeddler, I like stealth. First mod on my Coupe was the E550 off the trunk lid. I did it more for the clean look, but appreciate the stealth it gives the car.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
I see more of a difference with how cops treat me in the WS6 vs the E55. Houston cops must really like muscle cars.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
2005 RED Escalade EXT- People assumed I was a gangster/drug dealer/thug and wouldn't look my way. Gangsters/drug dealers/thugs all gave me the thumbs up.

1997 Supra- Ultimate in Dick Magnet technology. Couldn't go anywhere without being followed and asked a million questions. Curiously I was never pulled over in it.

E63- Not so much as a sideways glance from anyone. Wasn't paying attention to my usual speed traps this morning and blew past a Trooper doing about 90, he didn't even look up at me.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:16 PM

P-Carro
I've had a lot of different cars, truck, and morotcyles and find it interesting how other drivers react to my driving style depending on what I'm driving.

I'm a bit of an agressive driver and often get a reaction but what I'm driving seems to make all the difference.

Porsche 911: This car generated the highest number of single digit salutes of any car I've ever owned even when I was driving in a conservative manner. Just something about Porsches that sets people off I guess.

SL55: Not as bad as the 911 but right up there. Often heard negative comments about the cost, two seats, gas hog, etc. when parked or filling up.

Chevy Pick Up: Could do almost anything and nobody would even look let alone flip me off. Might have been the gun rack in the rear window?

E55: Love this car and it's stealth which is one of the top reasons I purchased the car. Nobody knows what it is or pays any attention which is just the way I like it. You can get away with murder in this car. Don't think I've gotten the, "bird", yet in this one.

Couldnt agree more ^^ But in my case the E55 did draw lots of salutes and Thumbs up not doubt about that, maybe half the amount the P cars gets. Just felt more special in the E for some reason.. Noble Killer instinct
Old 01-03-2012, 02:25 PM

2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
I drive a few, my E55K has serious appeal to just about everyone who sees her, especially hears her. She goes in next month for a Kleeman K4
Old 01-03-2012, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Escalade: I got alot of unwanted attention from cops and weird looks from Prius drivers. Been pulled over and questioned with this car numerous times.

C63: I dont get alot of looks with the C63 since most people think its just a regular C class.

Tacoma: No one even cares about the Tacoma and dont get any unwanted attention.

Last edited by _AMG_; 01-03-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
RC-51: if it's off - not really that much attention except from die-hard bike guys. . .once it's on - I've had the workers at the Ducati dealership come out to verify it was one and even the Harley guys give a nod.

Ducati Monster S4RS - only bike I've owned where WOMEN come up and say "nice bike, can I have a ride"

In the E55, I honestly am going by people too quick to gage their reactions - interestingly enough - been pulled over three times (once - actually driving to the track - got a ticket, once, brother was driving in New York - he got a tick, last time, I was driving - let me off with a warning)

I go through company cars about every 18 months (mostly fleet vehicles) and out of all of them, the two that got the most reactions were the Camry hybrid (I just giggled thinking about the dead dinosaurs consumed in the 55 as people gave me thumbs up) and the Jeep Liberty (absolutely ****TY car but Jeep owners are fanatical)...My personal favorite was the Chevy Trailbrazer - horrible steering feel - but great truck. . .

In regards to the P-cars: When I was 18, get a call from my friend

Friend: "Hey, My mom just bought a 911 - get your *** over here, you gotta drive it" (same friend who I let ride my ZX-9 and told me "yeah so when I went to turn into the driveway and kept going straight - that's when I realized the front wheel wasn't on the ground"
Me: "Where's your mom and is she cool with it?" (family history involving us "herding deer from his front yard. . .in my Cherokee. . .in 4 wheel drive. . .in the snow. . .sideways" and his mom being none to pleased about it.
Friend: "She's at the store, wont be home for a couple of hours, she won't mind"
Me: "Uh, every time I see her, she brings up the deer in the lawn thing"
Friend: "Seriously. . .9....11."

A couple of hours later after my "test drive"

Ring. . .Ring. . .Ring

Me: "Hello"
Friend: Laughter. . .gains composure. . ."Sooooooo, my mom just got home, immediately checked the car to see if it was warm and asked 'did you drive my car today or let BT drive it?'"
Me: "what happened?"
Friend: "well, apparently she was in Wawa and there were a couple of cops getting coffee and she heard over the radio that the station was getting multiple calls of a Red 911 speeding at multiple locations. . .
Me: "we really shouldn't hang out anymore"
Old 01-03-2012, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by _AMG_
Escalade: I got alot of unwanted attention from cops and weird looks from Prius drivers. Been pulled over and questioned with this car numerous times.

C63: I dont get alot of looks with the C63 since most people think its just a regular C class.

Tacoma: No one even cares about the Tacoma and dont get any unwanted attention.

That is sick brotha, a MONSTER sound system in that b***h would be the order of the day

No matter what I am driving, if I am on the interstate, I will be in the slowest lane just cruising minding my own business listening to house. HOWEVER, if instagated and it is worth my time, I will role
Old 01-03-2012, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
E55 - To most its just a normal E-Class plodding along in traffic. The green brakes get peoples attention, but not in a bad way. I regularly get comments that my car is "sexy" or "clean". Car people know what the 55 is capable of, and have respect for it. But to think about it - I have never really been given the bird.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
My car doesn't have the Mercedes star emblems on it, it has a fancy amg flat badge (not just "AMG" but one with the wording spelt out and other designs on it) on the hood and on trunk) so people that don't really know can't even figure out it is a Mercedes since they don't see the star badge (but the wheel center caps have the star) but I have still been asked "is that a mercedes." I remember once at a gas station some guy asked me if it was some new ford or something lol. I don't think I have ever got negative attention in the E55 or my big turbo Audi A4. I terrorize the streets in that thing since I have to whined it to 8000rpms to make that little 4 banger go anywhere with the big turbo on it and it is pretty loud too.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:35 PM

07 E63. 07 STi limited #606/800
Not a bad thread! Read through all of the posts!

I usually get the WOW that thing sounds great/awesome! in the E63 with my resonators and secondary cats off.

In the STi which is a limited and doesn't have the big look at me wing, I think people think it's a kia.

Most try to pass me up in the STi at a light or something and it never works out for them. Stop light to stop light the STi is just unbelievable. But I just feel more special in the AMG and end up just cruising in it as the sound comes out without having to gas it!

Last edited by infantry; 02-10-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
The E55 has a weird way of drawing attention when you least expect, for me at least. I drive mine A LOT. Just last week when I was playing grandpa on the highway, noticed an SUV joining from the on ramp ahead of me. I pass the car and didn't notice it till he started slowing down till I was a car ahead of him and in the lane immediately to his left. Driver maintains this spot for a good half mile till I signal to exit then he guns it and goes around back, lowers his passenger window and gives me a thumbs up.
Three days later, another SUV pulls up next to me (new young dad) and tells me how amazingly clean and tasteful my ride looks. My favorite though is comments at my usual drag strip before my runs and then after my first run. Had a family walk up to me after my races one night just to tell me I made their night and never would they have thought a mercedes could tear it up like that and humiliate domestic "sports coupes".
People that know these cars like to share their fascination be it at the grocery store, gas station and my personal favorite is when older folks (50s and 60s) tell me I have very good taste and know how to take care of my car (I am 24). I picked the E55 for the same reasons as most of you here but my only disappointment was my flawed concept that it is the one AMG no one would ever notice. People do notice these cars, even with this quiet *** exhaust.
Now my brother's granite grey CLS55, rarely goes unnoticed.

Some of the best memories from me owning this car:
1. Friends assuming they are too wasted when the dynamic seats "hug and molest" them. Looks on their faces is priceless as it happens.
2. The day my girl friends named the rood handles the "Oh Shiat" handle.
3. The classic front passenger creeping up their seat towards the back when I hit the kickdown switch
4. The day I realized just how close every amber traffic light really is with these beasts.

Last edited by nanayaw6; 01-03-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
I only drove my E55 for a select few days after buying it before putting it away for the winter salt season.

During this time it seemed like I was some sort of lighthouse beacon for every assclown in a Euro/Jap car to come float around me and try to get me to run em. I was very annoyed by this especially since the thing was bone stock. Hoping it was just a weird couple days cause I HATE ricers with a passion.

Oh and my co-workers and boss had some comments about me owning such an expensive car. It was all in good fun and they love the car though.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
$35,000 ’11 GMC = skilled tradesmen swapping war stories at the lumberyard and on job sites.
$8,000 ’02 AMG = overcharging prick.

Same idiot behind the wheel. Haven’t been saluted or honked at in either though.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by chawkins2001

That is sick brotha, a MONSTER sound system in that b***h would be the order of the day

No matter what I am driving, if I am on the interstate, I will be in the slowest lane just cruising minding my own business listening to house. HOWEVER, if instagated and it is worth my time, I will role
Thanks Chawkins!
I had 4 10" JL subs in there. That thing it HARD. Haha
Old 01-05-2012, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
AMG, more pics of the Slade please.
Looks sharp
Old 01-05-2012, 01:37 AM

W211 E55, 911 turbo, 911sc, RX330

I sometimes get the same reaction when I'm driving the turbo. Some guy jumps off the light when they see me next to them and I don't do anything. Next light leads to the freeway and he does the same thing and I punch it. Wait for 2800 and the turbo starts to kick in and BAM! I get slammed to the seat. Shift to 2nd and BAM! By the time I shift into 3rd, I'm at triple digits and shut her down. The other driver usually flips me the bird when they catch up. Other times I'll just shoot a big flame out the exhaust if they are driving like a douche and that usually wakes them up.

911sc - Usually get looks from guys complimenting the clean nature of the car as I just finished the restoration on it.

Lexus RX330 - A great car for blending in and using as a daily driver. Smooth riding and quiet.

E55 - Used as a night out car. People think nothing of it as it looks like an ordinary E class. As other have said, it is a great sleeper. Mustangs for some reason like to do the rev when I pull up at the light. Then jump off the light. I'm just cruising normally and as I pass them in traffic, they see the V8 Kompressor and E55 badges. They usually behave after that. Same thing with G35s and G37s, except one time some guy was just irritating me so I just stomped on it and I was off like a rocket. I slowed back down and the guy doesn't even look at me when he cruises by.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by jpohl402
AMG, more pics of the Slade please.
Looks sharp
Thanks man!
Here are a few more.

Last edited by _AMG_; 01-05-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Love the brakes on the Escalade and the color.....and the wheels.....and the tint
Old 01-05-2012, 06:27 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
Long time ago had a Porsche and noted two things: middle finger salutes from guys and women generally really liked it. I had a few climb into it unprovoked at stoplights on Newbury Street in Boston. Like I said, long time ago.

My C5 'Vette back in 99 was kinda the opposite. A lot of guys giving me thumbs up, chicks making jokes like "you know the difference between a corvette and a porcipine, right?" I'll let you figure out the punchline to that one.

My e63 - no one noticed it except for the car guys. I remember once in a parking lot driving through a sea of disinterest, and seeing a man's head like a periscope in the next row tracking my car like his head was on a 180 degree swivel. He came over and said "sick!, can I see the motor?" Definitely all the ricers wanted to race if they had some idea what it was. If they actually knew what it was, this interest in racing declined.

Current cars -
66 GTO convertible. You cannot go anywhere without everyone, I mean everyone, wanting to engage in conversation. 12 year old kids, 20 year old men, 50 year old men and women. The creepiest are the 50-60 year old women who stop and look at the car wistfully and say "Ah, the GTO. If you only knew what I did in one of those!" Blech! Like you think I don't you creepy old lady! No one wants to race, but everyone gives you thumbs up, especially guys on Harleys.

S65. take what I said about the E63 and multiply by 5. No one at all knows it, but the 1 in 600 guys who do want to hear all about it. No thumbs up except from the occasional car full of 20 somethings who will speed up to you to ogle the car and demand to see some kind of exibition of its ability to exceed the speed of light on command. I do notice that women kind of check it out, and men think you are an a$$hole.

M1009 - people avert their eyes. Especially women. No one gives you thumbs up, except for dudes in full camo. People let you in in traffic, especially if you are playing one of those mini games of chicken where you are turning left and so are they and you are facing each other in an intersection. Its the big pushbar I'm sure. Cops check you out like you may be a militia guy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Different Cars - Different Attitudes