W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MidCity Engineering - SmartKey (SKS211) - E55 "Remote Start"...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
MidCity Engineering - SmartKey (SKS211) - E55 "Remote Start"...

Anyone using one of these currently?

I found a few old posts about the product, but no actual users that I can find....

Kit# SKS211 $799.00 + Install (authorized resellers only)

Got a quote for $1495 installed, $1900 for the SmartPhone version (comes with 1 year free subscription)

Looks to be a very well-thought out system, not one of these "zip-tie-a-smartkey-under-your-dashboard" hacks. Allows you to maintain vehicle security, uses the PANIC button on the stock key for starting (no special keychain fobs required) and allows you to lock, unlock doors and do a "handoff" to the real key once you're seated and ready to drive.

The smartphone option (iPhone, etc) allows you to do remote start from any distance, lock/unlock doors, etc.... basically like 3rd-party OnStar or M-Brace(?)

The details are limited on the Mid-City site, but it sounds like a "no cutting, no splicing" type installation too so it shouldn't create electrical nightmares down the road either.

This is now on a long list of "tempting" add-ons for my car....

-G

Last edited by GregMB; 01-06-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
We have installed these in the past. It is a very clean install, depending on car model we genarally charge $950 to $1050 installed for the kits. Only down side to the kit is the range is limited to your remote key range which isn't that much. Most of the aftermarket kits have a 1/4mile+ range. But you end up leaving a key under the dash and thats not a good idea. Not to mention I haven't seen a single of the cheap kits work properly without some kind of electical issue.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Interesting.

I'll have to shop the "install" part around a bit....if there's no cutting and splicing involved then the installer won't be as much of a factor and I may not have to pay the local MBZ dealer $700 for the labor!

The limited range isn't much of an issue for me. I generally sit about 20 feet from my car at all times, but it would be nice to have it warming up when it's only 15F outside.....or cooling off when it's 90+F.

Sometimes the "little luxuries" are the ones you appreciate most.

-G
Old 01-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
On most models you have to add some wiring from the fuse panel to power up the remote module but there is not cutting into any wiring on the vehicle. There is usually an open spot in the fuse box with power that can be used. Prices vary mainly due to what they will charge you to dissasemble part of the lower dash for. If the dealer goes strictly by what the book says to drop a lower dash to access the required connectors than that is where majority of the labor goes. Thats why we have a different price range of install labor too. Some cars are easier to take apart than others. Some models the comand and center console need to come out too, but it isn't complicated on a E-class.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D
Does anyone know if this retains the ability to use the panic button? I find it sometimes useful to find the car in garages...

Originally Posted by GregMB
Anyone using one of these currently?

I found a few old posts about the product, but no actual users that I can find....

Kit# SKS211 $799.00 + Install (authorized resellers only)

Got a quote for $1495 installed, $1900 for the SmartPhone version (comes with 1 year free subscription)

Looks to be a very well-thought out system, not one of these "zip-tie-a-smartkey-under-your-dashboard" hacks. Allows you to maintain vehicle security, uses the PANIC button on the stock key for starting (no special keychain fobs required) and allows you to lock, unlock doors and do a "handoff" to the real key once you're seated and ready to drive.

The smartphone option (iPhone, etc) allows you to do remote start from any distance, lock/unlock doors, etc.... basically like 3rd-party OnStar or M-Brace(?)

The details are limited on the Mid-City site, but it sounds like a "no cutting, no splicing" type installation too so it shouldn't create electrical nightmares down the road either.

This is now on a long list of "tempting" add-ons for my car....

-G
Old 05-31-2012, 03:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
Does anyone know if this retains the ability to use the panic button? I find it sometimes useful to find the car in garages...
Old 03-14-2013, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 320
Yes you retain the use of the panic button. Tap the panic button to start the car or stop the car and hold the panic button for the panic feature.