W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Chicago Peeps!!!! "Whens we having a meet & Greet"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2012 | 09:38 PM

Pewter W211
Would you guys like to start a local group? I'm thinking we could start a group for the Chicago to Milwaukee area.

When I was deep in the American sports car scene I started a local group. Of course it was free to everyone but what I set up were cruises through the back roads, speed shop open houses, car shows with trophies and I would bring in a portable dyno for anyone that wanted to use it costs just those people $50 for three pulls with a print out given of their runs. At the speed shop open houses I was able to get discounts for our groups as I did when we would rent out race tracks just for us.

Oh and for the car shows I had in the larger shows hired a professional photographer and videographer for us. We also had an annual calendar professionally made up of member's cars.

Let me know what you think, I don't mind doing a bunch of the back work if it means we can get to know the local members better. I would be able to get better discounts and more events if we had more cars so I was thinking of maybe allowing BMW's and Porsches join.

I could also create a website dedicated to just our group where I could post all of our meets, pictures, video's, etc...
Old 11-30-2012 | 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 Carrera4
Might be a good way to keep local stuff contained. This thread is getting a bit long
Old 11-30-2012 | 10:55 PM

Pewter W211
If other people agree I'll get starting building a website and I'm thinking we could spend the winter getting the word out and building it.

I think a big spring bash would be a good way to start off, I can work on getting speed shops involved, and start canvasing area's for us to hold the meet, basically if we do this I think we should do it right and have the biggest meets in the country.

Last edited by ProjectCamaro; 11-30-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2012 | 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 W211 E55K, GL550
sounds like a good idea we have alot off guys around our neighboorhood just need to get everyone together.
Old 12-01-2012 | 12:33 AM

C63
I think it's a great idea.
Old 12-01-2012 | 08:24 AM

Pewter W211
That’s all the motivation I need. I’ll start building the website right away, I don’t have the skills needed to do graphics so I’ll bring in someone to do that for me but I can’t imagine why I wouldn’t have everything up and running smoothly by the end of this month.
Old 12-02-2012 | 05:19 PM

Pewter W211
Graphic artist officially brought on board, domain purchased, web hosting purchased, will have needed software installed within a week's time and at that point I'll make the URL public.

I'll start contacting speed shops to see who has a portable dyno I can rent out for a spring bash as well as scouting out locations for it. Of course we can talk more about that as there's no hurry at this point to get it all done as winter is just beginning.
Old 12-03-2012 | 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 Carrera4
Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
Graphic artist officially brought on board, domain purchased, web hosting purchased, will have needed software installed within a week's time and at that point I'll make the URL public.

I'll start contacting speed shops to see who has a portable dyno I can rent out for a spring bash as well as scouting out locations for it. Of course we can talk more about that as there's no hurry at this point to get it all done as winter is just beginning.
There is a high end body and custom shop in glenview that I know. The owner sometimes has car shows there. I'll see if he would be interested in adding more to his plate with a forum like this.
Old 12-03-2012 | 08:23 AM

Pewter W211
Originally Posted by malahhaor
There is a high end body and custom shop in glenview that I know. The owner sometimes has car shows there. I'll see if he would be interested in adding more to his plate with a forum like this.
Excellent. If he is hesitant as long as he's willing to allow us to have a show at his location I am willing to do all the extra work required to put it together.
Old 12-03-2012 | 04:09 PM
SPONSOR

From: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
sounds cool. Let me know if ya need anything...
Old 12-03-2012 | 04:12 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Count me in.
Old 12-03-2012 | 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 W211 E55K, GL550
this is sounding good
Old 12-05-2012 | 12:05 PM

Pewter W211
Forum and content management software is installed and up and running. While everything seems to be running smoothly I'll be checking for any bugs before we go live. Need to purchase and install the gallery softward still, I do not like the basic gallery software that comes with the forums.

I had my first official meeting with the graphics artist to discuss our goals for the site.

What we do need are pictures of individual's cars to create the different banners and designs. If you would like your car to be included I'll need pictures of it. You can email them to me directly at projectcamaro (at) gmail (dot) com.

Originally Posted by loungn14
sounds cool. Let me know if ya need anything...
I'll be contacting you later about having an open house at your Chicago based shop. We can talk in more detail then but if you're willing to open up your shop I'll be more than happy to do all the work to get it going and to get the event out to the public.
Old 12-06-2012 | 12:36 AM

Pewter W211
Gallery software purchased and installed.

This next week will be spent looking for bugs and finishing the look of the site. I'll make it public very soon.
Old 12-07-2012 | 11:04 AM

Pewter W211
The site is far from done but here's the url for it - MidwestGerman.com

Right now it is on the default style setting but it may take some time to get all the graphics and design work completed but since the site it up and running I don't see any reason not to make it public.

The hardest part of any new site is getting it active and until it is active we will not be able to gain new members (I know a catch 22) but hopefully we can create a large group of local members who want to attend shows and meet up in person.

Last edited by ProjectCamaro; 12-07-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2012 | 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Very nice! Thanks for taking on the project and doing all of the hard work. I am looking forward to spring for the next meet. My SL is already in bed for the winter.

i will be emailing you a few photos just in case you need a pic of an SL.
Old 12-07-2012 | 02:51 PM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Would you guys like to start a local group? I'm thinking we could start a group for the Chicago to Milwaukee area.

When I was deep in the American sports car scene I started a local group. Of course it was free to everyone but what I set up were cruises through the back roads, speed shop open houses, car shows with trophies and I would bring in a portable dyno for anyone that wanted to use it costs just those people $50 for three pulls with a print out given of their runs. At the speed shop open houses I was able to get discounts for our groups as I did when we would rent out race tracks just for us.

Oh and for the car shows I had in the larger shows hired a professional photographer and videographer for us. We also had an annual calendar professionally made up of member's cars.

Let me know what you think, I don't mind doing a bunch of the back work if it means we can get to know the local members better. I would be able to get better discounts and more events if we had more cars so I was thinking of maybe allowing BMW's and Porsches join.

I could also create a website dedicated to just our group where I could post all of our meets, pictures, video's, etc...

Hey guys count me in this sounds great! Portable dyno!! wtf?

How much is one of those and where can I get one!
Old 12-07-2012 | 08:50 PM

Pewter W211
Originally Posted by cal1
Very nice! Thanks for taking on the project and doing all of the hard work. I am looking forward to spring for the next meet. My SL is already in bed for the winter.

i will be emailing you a few photos just in case you need a pic of an SL.
No problem, I'm not the type of person to sit back and wait for others to act when I can do it myself. Sure I'm out some money to buy all the software, hire the graphics artist, and host the site but it's all worth it in the end.

My W211 has already been put into winter storage too.

Originally Posted by cretangod5555
Hey guys count me in this sounds great! Portable dyno!! wtf?

How much is one of those and where can I get one!
A portable dyno is just like a normal dyno except it can be moved by truck and setup anywhere as long as you have access to electrical plugs or in what I've used in the past generators so you can go anywhere.

I can't tell you what they cost but in the past I've worked with speed shops who own them and pay a rental fee for them to bring them to our shows and then to run them as well. Unfortunately the shop I used in the past is no longer around so I'll have to start looking elsewhere for one to rent now.

I think I'll start a new thread as this one is pretty long already. I did start one in the midwest section but that section is dead so who knows where that'll go. Right now we really need to get the word out so we can get enough people on board to make it a success.
Old 12-08-2012 | 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Sure I'm out some money to buy all the software, hire the graphics artist, and host the site but it's all worth it in the end.
It kind of bothers me that you are doing all the work and made the cash outlay for something many of us are going to benefit from. I would like to help out. If others feel the same, maybe we can split up the cost a bit. I have no idea what you have sunk in this thing, but my gutt says a hundie feels right as a contribution so I am offering that up to help defray some cost.
Old 12-08-2012 | 12:49 PM

Pewter W211
Originally Posted by cal1
It kind of bothers me that you are doing all the work and made the cash outlay for something many of us are going to benefit from. I would like to help out. If others feel the same, maybe we can split up the cost a bit. I have no idea what you have sunk in this thing, but my gutt says a hundie feels right as a contribution so I am offering that up to help defray some cost.
I appreciate the offer but don't worry about it. I do enjoy it so don't feel like you owe me anything. In fact I wouldn't feel right accepting anything from you.

The best thing you can do is help get the word out or simply post there to help it build so we can get more members and have better shows.
Old 12-08-2012 | 01:01 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Not mine, no salt on the roads yet. Not ready for storage. I usually wait until the first snowfall.
Old 12-08-2012 | 02:56 PM

e46 m3, w211 e55
I actually tried to build a similar site only with AMG only focus. amgpost.com hard to gain traction...however if you can bring everyone together i am all for it as well.

The only thing is there is already some broader german forums such as eurotechnik and chitownm for bmws. I'd really like to see a AMG / mercedes only community here in Chicago area if possible so it is more unique and tied to this smaller group.
Old 12-08-2012 | 05:50 PM

Pewter W211
Originally Posted by gazosnic
I actually tried to build a similar site only with AMG only focus. amgpost.com hard to gain traction...however if you can bring everyone together i am all for it as well.

The only thing is there is already some broader german forums such as eurotechnik and chitownm for bmws. I'd really like to see a AMG / mercedes only community here in Chicago area if possible so it is more unique and tied to this smaller group.

Agreed that the hardest part is getting a new community off the ground. This isn't the first forum I've built and to date all have turned out to be successful. The main thing is you can't give up and you have to do something different or better. I'll go out of my way to create the best shows and events possible and I know I'll be able to draw a big enough crowd to make it work, just like I've done in the past.

Not all meets have to include all types of cars. We can AMG specific meets and shows if that's what enough people want. Plus with our official meets there's nothing stopping people from putting together their own or just meeting up with one or two other members. I'm looking to create a place where that can happen.
Old 01-01-2013 | 12:52 PM

W211 E63
Happy New Year guys. I wanted to see where you guys take your AMG's for service? Any reputable dealers that offer great service and price? I'm in the N.W. suburbs.
Old 01-01-2013 | 02:03 PM

2003 SL500 AMG Package, 2015 C300, 2016 WRX
Originally Posted by Spaceman838
Happy New Year guys. I wanted to see where you guys take your AMG's for service? Any reputable dealers that offer great service and price? I'm in the N.W. suburbs.
Spacemen838,

Check this place http://www.burdimotors.com/ out where I always go for my SL services. They do a great job. This is an independent certified Benz mechanic. He has been working for Lobo Mercedes dealer for 20 plus years prior to opening his own shop. Ask for Carmine and tell him Clint refers you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chicago Peeps!!!! "Whens we having a meet & Greet"