W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the E55.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
After seeing the recent article in USA Today about the recall on Jeeps, I sent in a request to them with regards to this Preliminary Evaluation that has been upgraded to an Engineering Analysis.
Thank you for keeping this moving.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
I have mine scheduled for replacement next week I honestly don't think anything will happen since not one car has started on fire. The fact is its just a recurring inconvenience...
Old 07-19-2013, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Honda Accord is being recalled for something similar not sure....
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/19/h...uel-tank-neck/
Old 07-19-2013, 08:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
e63 p30 estate
Originally Posted by E55Freak
I honestly don't think anything will happen since not one car has started on fire. The fact is its just a recurring inconvenience...
recurring inconvenience? I just grabbed this from the CDC:

Inhalation
Inhalation is a common route of exposure to gasoline. Generally, gasoline's odor provides adequate warning of hazardous concentrations. The odor threshold is 0.025 ppm. Its vapors are heavier than air and may cause asphyxiation in enclosed, poorly ventilated, or low-lying areas.

Children exposed to the same levels of gasoline vapor as adults may receive larger doses because they have greater lung surface area:body weight ratios and increased minute volumes:weight ratios. In addition, they may be exposed to higher levels than adults in the same location because of their short stature and the higher levels of gasoline vapor found nearer to the ground.

Acute Exposure
Most adverse health effects from acute exposure to gasoline are caused by the hydrocarbon component. However, persons who have repeated or massive exposure (e.g., inhalation abuse, prolonged skin contact) to leaded gasoline may develop lead poisoning (lead is no longer added to gasoline in the United States). Immediate effects of exposure to gasoline are primarily due to pulmonary injury and CNS depression. Other systemic effects may develop over several hours. Components of gasoline probably crosses the placenta and may be excreted in breast milk.

Children do not always respond to chemicals in the same way that adults do. Different protocols for managing their care may be needed.

CNS
Acute gasoline exposure can cause transient CNS excitation followed by CNS depression. Confusion, giddiness, nausea, headache, blurred vision, dizziness, and weakness can occur. In massive exposures, rapid CNS depression, respiratory depression, seizures, loss of consciousness, coma, and death have been reported.

Respiratory
Gasoline can irritate the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract. Pulmonary congestion, edema, acute exudative tracheobronchitis, and intrapulmonary hemorrhage have been reported in severe exposures. Pulmonary aspiration of ingested gasoline may cause pneumonitis.

Exposure to certain chemicals can lead to Reactive Airway Dysfunction Syndrome (RADS), a chemically- or irritant-induced type of asthma.

Children may be more vulnerable because of relatively increased minute ventilation per kg and failure to evacuate an area promptly when exposed.

Hydrocarbon pneumonitis may be a problem in children.

Cardiovascular
Gasoline vapors sensitize the myocardium to circulating epinephrine which may cause potentially fatal ventricular fibrillation.

Renal
Inhalation of massive amounts of gasoline may result in fatty degeneration of the proximal convoluted tubules and glomeruli and renal failure.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:47 PM

2005 E55 silver
Originally Posted by TonyC
recurring inconvenience? I just grabbed this from the CDC:
I agree with you but my point is Mb doesn't care until someone dies! So what are we to do? Put up with it and replace as needed. Hence my recurring inconvenience comment...
Old 08-03-2013, 11:03 PM

2005 E55
ODI: 10533451. Strong oder of fuel inside cabin of car. Submitted 8-3-13. Referenced current EA in complaint.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:00 AM

06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
I have said it before and will say it again.

You want to see something happen, report this to the EPA.

1. Fuel leaking and emitting fuel vapor into the atmosphere.

2. The system built into the car to detect vapor leaks in the fuel system is faulty and not properly diagnosing that the fuel system has been compromised.

I watched the EPA bend Toyota over for a fault in the diagnostic system and not one drop of fuel ever leaked.

G
Old 08-04-2013, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD
I have said it before and will say it again.

You want to see something happen, report this to the EPA.

1. Fuel leaking and emitting fuel vapor into the atmosphere.

2. The system built into the car to detect vapor leaks in the fuel system is faulty and not properly diagnosing that the fuel system has been compromised.

I watched the EPA bend Toyota over for a fault in the diagnostic system and not one drop of fuel ever leaked.

G
who do we talk to at the EPA? Ive looked and its cumbersome
Old 08-04-2013, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
If a bunch of us hit this up we may raise a few eyebrows??

http://www.epa.gov/tips/

We can all bug our state level EPA reps as well. Maybe one will pick the ball up and run with it but I think on a federal level they would take more interest.

Last edited by BBBSS; 08-04-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 M Roadster, 2005 E55 AMG Estate
My 2005 E55 (55k miles) just started with this problem about a month ago. I see the class action is already underway. Are names etc still being taken? What is our concensus here.. .file with the NTHSA or EPA or both?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
The more places we complain the better. MB is trying to ignore this, and I suspect if they wait long enough they will just say the cars are XX years old what do you want parts get old?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So I was wondering, what state are the people having problems in? Also, what % of ethanol is used/allowed in your state?
Old 09-02-2013, 12:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W211 E63
Wrong thread.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:51 PM

CLS55
I just filed this complaint...

Woke up with a fuel oder in my house and found the source to be my garage. Unable to locate I got in my car to take my daughter to school. The fuel smell was overwhelming inside the car almost like gas was spilled inside the car. I started the car and backed out of my driveway and notice a fluid puddle and liquid line formed. I got out to find gas pouring out from under the driver side rear passenger area. I took film and pictures of it. I backed the car away from the house incase of fire. I shut the car off and pulled up the rear seat to see there was gas leaking from around the seal and permeated into my seat cushion. Assuming it is an access port to fuel tank and pump. Had vehicle towed to dealer where they are currently fixing the problem and I must pay for it. I found a recall on the car but they stated my vin number wasnt included in recall. I find that hard to believe because my car had the exact same problem described in the recall and Mercedes is saying my car was supposedly fixed, which it clearly wasn't or was repaired with inferior parts.

Being a firefighter myself I was extremely concerned simply for the fire hazard this could have potentially caused to my house while we were asleep and especially the fact the source was right under my daughters car seat. The fumes in the garage had an ignition source in the gas water heater and I live in AZ with 120 degree temps in the summer as well.

Mercedes needs to recall all cars with same design immediately and have the problem fixed. I'm just glad nobody in my family is a smoker. I will be happy to forward my film and pictures to anyone needing them to file a case.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Daily 06 E55, Fun 12 GSXR750, Racing John Deere D110
How do I help? I filled a full tank getting ready for a weekend trip and smelled a bit inside the car today =-(

Has anyone tried calling some new outlets to try to get this on TV?
Old 09-19-2013, 09:24 PM

Blown 208 55 amg, 211 55 amg
Mine leaks too got a new seal but have t had a chance to do it yet
Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Add me!
Old 09-19-2013, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Mine just popped the bed
Passenger side fuel sender leaking gas like it is it's job.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
I know this does not help existing fuel leak issues, but, FWIW, at 69k miles and 9 years old, no problems ever. Now my father was fond of saying: "I'd rather be lucky than good." Perhaps I may just be lucky, but there has never been ethanol laced fuel in the tank and I have always used Techron concentrate on a regular basis. Next year I will replace the pump/filters as a preventative measure. At that time I will inspect the filters to see just what condition they are in. I have inspected the pumps' electrical connectors for any signs of overheating and found none whatsoever.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:50 AM

E55 AMG
Just got the Smell too

Filled up my tank last week and now I have this disgusting fuel smell throughout my garage and car...Goin to Mercedes this wknd to check Recall...Fuel sending unit under rear drivers passenger seat ??? I will look into that
Old 09-23-2013, 11:11 AM

2003 E55 AMG
[B]Current Status of Investigation[/B]

Communications between MB and NTHSA, with posted files/documents...
The Excel Spreadsheet from MB showing all the parts sales to repair this issue speaks volumes!

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchNHTSAID

At the lower right of screen, enter the investigation ID, PE12001.

Don't be alarmed that the status is closed, because the investigation has been UPGRADED to an Engineering Analysis.

"The investigation has been upgraded to Engineering Analysis, EA13-003, for further study."

SUMMARY:
The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) opened this investigation based on 20 consumer reports. All of the vehicles were E55 AMG models and the complainants alleged fuel leaks or a strong odor of gasoline both inside and outside of their vehicle, particularly after refueling. Some complainants alleged that the leaks may be related to a 2008 Mercedes Benz emission recall (Campaign No. 2008020001) on the fuel filter module. This recall pertained to model years 2003-2006 E and CLS AMG models only. These AMG models use a different fuel pump and fuel filter module than the non-AMG E-class, however, they share other fuel system components, including the fuel tank.

Since opening the investigation ODI has received an additional 350 reports relevant to this investigation. Of those reports, 116 reports are on the E55 AMG model. The remaining 234 reports are on other E-class models (i.e., E320, E350, E500, E550 and E63) which are now included in the scope of EA13-003. The investigation has been upgraded to Engineering Analysis, EA13-003, for further study. The ODI reports cited above can be reviewed at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints under the identification (ODI) numbers cited on the following page.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63
Great. Hopefully this actually goes somewhere now. Don't need a fatality to be the driver of this issue.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:19 PM

CLS550
I purchased a 2007 CLS550 sourced out of Fort Lauderdale FL back in 2010. I noticed that when I filled up the car I would have fuel spilling off the rear skirts and under my drivers side wheel. I have been trying to get the fuel sender to make a good seal but still have leaks.

I replaced the Fuel Sender gasket but the fuel sender still leaked.
I replaced the Fuel Sender (and Fuel Pump) but the fuel sender still leaked.

I guess I will have to try to get the latest fuel sending unit gasket to see if it makes a tight seal. I hope I do not have to upgrade the latest fuel tank version.

I brought the car up to Toronto and now MB (US and CND) will not address the fuel leakages. I would love to join your Class Action to help offset my repair costs.

The CLS and the E-Class are built on the same platform and share A LOT of parts underneath ... The CLS is just a lengthened E class chassis.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:20 AM

2004 m3, 2005 e55
Filed my complaint last night

Filled up my car, strong odors of gas inside and out... No puddling on the floor..

Complaint id #10546686
Old 10-04-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W211-E55 AMG & x166-GL550
Well Damn!!!
My first post has to be a problem

Just bought my 05 E55 AMG about two months ago. Car hasn't even clicked 30,000 miles yet (bought it @ 25k).

Have filled the car up several times over the past few months.

Yesterday, I walked out and had the bad gas smell.

Long story short ... $1,015.33 later, I have a new left side fuel sending unit.

While I was there, the dealer pulled up the rear seat and sending unit inspection cover. Like everyone else, I had a nice puddle of gas sitting on top of the sending unit :-(

The Stealer told me to make sure and keep my receipts. If either a Recall is announced, or the Class Action Law suite goes anywhere, I should be reimbursed for the cost.

Really sucks because I had just spent $579 to have the steering column dog bone replaced (steering wheel would not return from the highest position). Mostly labor for a $7.00 part that broke :-(

I'll be sure to go to the NTHB web site and file my complaint.

UPDATE: Your Confirmation Number (ODI Number) is: 10546735
TXT of my complaint:

"Filled my car up the night of 10/1/13. Parked the car inside garage connected to my house.
Upon waking up the morning of 10/2/2013, I was overwhelmed with VERY strong fuel odor. I traced the source of the odor to my 2005 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG parked in my garage.
I immediately opened the garage door to evacuate the fuel odor. I was able to locate the source of the fuel smell to the drivers side back seat.
Armed with a fire extinguisher, I started the car and backed out of my driveway and notice a fluid puddle and liquid line formed. I got out to find gas pouring out from under the driver side rear passenger compartment.
I continued to backed the car away from the house incase of fire.
The vehicle was taken to the local dealership. There, the dealer pulled the rear seat and the fuel pump inspection cover to confirm the source of the fuel smell.
What we found was raw fuel sitting on the top of the fuel take that had apparently leaked from the drivers side fuel pump.
The dealer informed me that they had seen this problem on other E55's and that as of now, there was no recall issued so I would have to pay out of pocket to repair the vehicle.
This repair has cost me in excess of $1000.00.
There appears to be a significant safety issue with the design of this vehicle. Allowing raw fuel to escape from the fuel take and "puddle" both on top of the fuel tank and under the vehicle creates an immediate fire hazard. To make matters worse, there is an electrical connection for the fuel pumps immediately next to the raw fuel puddle. I was very fortunate not to have an ignition source in my garage. I shudder to think of the results had anything ignited the enclosed fuel vapors (INSIDE MY GARAGE while my Family slept above).
Please investigate this issue and force a safety recall before someone looses a vehicle, home, or worse yet ... a LIFE!"

Last edited by Eric_55AMG; 10-04-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added ODI #

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the E55.