W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here comes the 2013 GT500 (Pricing inside)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
You crazy **** I just bought my tickets to come out to GDF, SHWINNNNGG

Back on topic, not sure if you read, but the new GT500 is coming out with launch control fella's, that is a game changer. That car with a twin screw, launch control, drag setup with slicks will run deep 9's, maybe touch into high 8's with a good driver.

I will own one for sure, I already have the options, and color picked out in my mind

You know is Steve, that is WHY I LOVE American muscle, these ***** dont waste anytime. They move as quick as a pimp after a virgin on prom night. They also depreciate very fast, which is niceee for the pre-owned crowd.
I think you are giving the launch control systems used in fully manual transmissions WAY too much credit. From some of the tests I have seen on similar systems used on other cars.... the launch control will give you consistent times...but not the best times. You probably aren't going to use launch control anyway if you are running drag radials at the track because you might be able to launch at a higher RPM than the preset from the factory. If you want to run 8s in the GT500, you might as well save some cash and buy a 2007 and throw a twin turbo set-up on it:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Ford-Mustan...lip-19756.html

Tom
Old 03-16-2012, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Originally Posted by TMC M5
I think you are giving the launch control systems used in fully manual transmissions WAY too much credit. From some of the tests I have seen on similar systems used on other cars.... the launch control will give you consistent times...but not the best times. You probably aren't going to use launch control anyway if you are running drag radials at the track because you might be able to launch at a higher RPM than the preset from the factory. If you want to run 8s in the GT500, you might as well save some cash and buy a 2007 and throw a twin turbo set-up on it:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Ford-Mustan...lip-19756.html

Tom

According to MM&FF the new launch control system is no gimmick.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...her/index.html

Originally Posted by MM&FF
After seeing the system in action, we can report that it performs at the level of even the best quarter-mile hot shoes.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
While the '07-'11 GT500s are fast machines, launching one can be a challenge, especially with stock tires. For the '13, Ford solved this problem with the introduction of Launch Control and Traction Control systems to maximize acceleration with minimal or, in most cases, zero slip. And believe us, the acceleration will quench even the thirstiest horsepower junkies. We got to experience these driver aids, and they are nothing short of amazing. Sweetening the pot is an adjustable rev controller (i.e., two-step) to help you dial in your launch.

The rev control is not just a gimmick. It will offer a tunable starting-line rpm limiter, allowing you to coordinate launch rpm with the surface and tires you're running to achieve the best possible acceleration. In essence, the driver will be staged on the line (be it at the track or on the street) and with the clutch down, you will plant the throttle to the floor. The engine will hold at a pre-set rpm, and when it is time to go, the driver simply releases the clutch smooth and quick. Your GT500 will accelerate rapidly in a controlled manner, with the LC/TC preventing (or at least seriously limiting) wheelspin. After seeing the system in action, we can report that it performs at the level of even the best quarter-mile hot shoes.

Read more: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...#ixzz1pJYo4S7T
Old 03-16-2012, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
"So what we've done is design a [Launch Control] system that is flexible enough for a customer to take their Mustang to the dragstrip, or on the street in a controlled environment, and optimize acceleration for the surface you are on," explains Dan Dunn, the electronic brake control development engineer on Mustang. When it senses moderate wheel slip (tire spin), the system will manipulate [rear wheel] braking, ignition, and throttle to help the tires maintain grip.

The system is so smart that in extreme circumstances it will exit LC. "There are hooks," says Dunn, "such as if you launch so hard that the vehicle produces wild tire spinùthen the system will exit LC mode. There is a complexity that's not obvious to the driver as it interfaces to manage acceleration using the powertrain controller, throttle, spark, and braking."

Using the Countdown Start,...

read full caption

Using the Countdown Start, the stage lights come on and the tree counts down.

While the engineers would...

read full caption

While the engineers would not confirm or deny the top speed, they were all smiles when we asked if the GT500 would eclipse the 200-mph mark.

Yet another neat feature is...

read full caption

Yet another neat feature is the ability to rev the 5.8L higher than the 550hp 5.4L. Ford raised the rev limiter from 6,250 to 7,000, but engine speed will be limited above 6,250 for short bursts of about 8 seconds.

Dunn, who is responsible for vehicle-level performance of ABS, traction control, stability control, and now specifically launch control, is also a drag racer. "Our system is robust," he states. "It works in real time and changes with conditions. It will adapt to changes in gearing within reason, and to many performance modification," he states enthusiastically.

From the ride we got, we can say the system is actually more on the aggressive side, allowing moderate spin on launch and even during aggressive upshifts. It's not at all intrusive as some TC systems have been in the past. All too often, performance vehicles use TC and "torque management" to prevent or limit driveline failure by severely kicking back the power. This is evident in the '10 Camaro, which practically falls on its face if you try to powershift it. But Ford gets it, as you'd barely know the system is active and working in your favor.

In fact, after seeing it work, I recommend leaving the driver aids on for all conditions. I've often driven Mustangs in which the tuner has reflashed the computer and permanently locked traction control in the Off position. This is not necessary, as most won't be able to outperform the capabilities of Ford's system.

Read more: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...#ixzz1pJZUwcY5
Old 03-16-2012, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
This car is even more badass than I thought, it has a count down tree in the dash
Old 03-16-2012, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
This car is even more badass than I thought, it has a count down tree in the dash
This car will be awesome. And if i know SVT, they will try to keep the weight down to the previous years 3820lbs.

The amount of upgrades this new GT500 is getting is just insane. It will come with a carbon fiber driveshaft from the factory.

This will definitely be on my short list when it comes to buy my next car.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
I stand corrected. That new launch control system sounds very well thought out. I would like to give it a try.

Tom
Old 03-16-2012, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
I wonder how many people will be getting tickets from a dig with this car?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
You crazy **** I just bought my tickets to come out to GDF, SHWINNNNGG

Back on topic, not sure if you read, but the new GT500 is coming out with launch control fella's, that is a game changer. That car with a twin screw, launch control, drag setup with slicks will run deep 9's, maybe touch into high 8's with a good driver.

I will own one for sure, I already have the options, and color picked out in my mind

You know is Steve, that is WHY I LOVE American muscle, these ***** dont waste anytime. They move as quick as a pimp after a virgin on prom night. They also depreciate very fast, which is niceee for the pre-owned crowd.
Can't wait to see you bro! You'll have to come for a cruise in Godzilla!

Maybe we can find one of these "game changing" ponies and have some fun with it