Sponsored by:

Off topic: Is Shardul banned?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
i just love how people that don't even own a Mercedes and have less then 300 posts and only a year with the forum run and decide who gets banned or can retract a ban, and haven't contributed anything towards the knowledge on this forum.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Gentleman,
I've just read through this and can only surmise Too Little, Too Late.

MBW will continue on and i sincerely hope it does. There will always people that will need the neat little chrome surrounds for their headlights, the fake wood shifters, the really bright wedge city driving bulbs, or the super fuzzy car mats...so vendors will not have a problem reaching their potential client base.

MBW wil have to do without me.....
The 10-20 posters that make the move that i'm making sounds like a nice plac..planet to stay.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55, 1978 280SL, 2007 ML63
I think having a sponsor system in an enthusiast forum is a huge conflict of interest. Are we here to have sponsors products shoved down our throats or discuss our passion for cars? The main problem is that unless you're a sponsor you cannot make a group buy (even if you are unaffiliated with the producer). If a member wants to make a group buy for cheap chinese carbon fiber parts, it is against the rules. If a member has a new idea for a pulley and creates a group buy, it is against the rules. If a member wants to part out a car, it is against the rules. The issue is definitely the confusion of what constitutes being a sponsor and what constitutes a member.

I think the sponsors threads should be confined to the classified section in addition to getting banner ads etc as part of the sponsorship. The site should be run off of ad revenue not sponsors threads clogging up the w211 amg section. I don't think anyone minds some banner ads or side ads from a sponsor.

Ultimately every great forum is defined by the members, not the sponsors. And I think mbworld needs to reevaluate the system it has in place.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by .trunzx
I think having a sponsor system in an enthusiast forum is a huge conflict of interest. Are we here to have sponsors products shoved down our throats or discuss our passion for cars? The main problem is that unless you're a sponsor you cannot make a group buy (even if you are unaffiliated with the producer). If a member wants to make a group buy for cheap chinese carbon fiber parts, it is against the rules. If a member has a new idea for a pulley and creates a group buy, it is against the rules. If a member wants to part out a car, it is against the rules. The issue is definitely the confusion of what constitutes being a sponsor and what constitutes a member.

I think the sponsors threads should be confined to the classified section in addition to getting banner ads etc as part of the sponsorship. The site should be run off of ad revenue not sponsors threads clogging up the w211 amg section. I don't think anyone minds some banner ads or side ads from a sponsor.

Ultimately every great forum is defined by the members, not the sponsors. And I think mbworld needs to reevaluate the system it has in place.
Well thought out and communicated post. I think that IB should look at this and let us know what the likelihood of something like this is.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:46 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
I guess its time for me to chime in.

First off thanks to the ib guys and mods for actually posting. I personally think that with issues like this, the lack of clarity with the situation leads to issues like this.

This place honestly has been going downhill fast. Some of the key members lately who make this place what it is, have been warned and banned.

Now, don't get me wrong, you violate the agreement you pay the price. But it almost seems like some are out more for a personal vengance then the betterment of the community.

As a vendor on this site for many years, we have seen it all, and gotten just as much grief as some of the members. I stiill don't understand the politics that sometimes seem to be at play here...and perhaps I never will.

Certain vendors can get away with some stuff, while others get the wrath of god...go figure. We should all be on the same playing field....

Shardul brings a lot to the community, as did some of the other members that were "banned" I know and have seen a few of the pms from mods and while yes some make sense, the mods need to remove personal feelings from the equation and act on the best interests of the forum and IB.

My final thought is what in the world does what a vendor does on another forum have any bearing on this one? Apparently a lot....from personal experience...
Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 PM
SPONSOR

I agree with the logic, but in all honestly it that were to be put in place IB would lose around 90% off its sponsors on this site. They run this type of system on other sites we sponsor and its almost not worth the $. The forum is indeed defined by members but free because of us sponsors.

We would have to pay double what we do now (and this is already one of the more expensive sites we sponsor out of the 15 we do) to get banner adds. Now, limit the exposure to one part of the forum and its a numbers game to determine if its worth it or not.

I personally enjoy posting in the regular forum, as you notice with my high post count. I image that I make a "sponsor" selling type message in 1 out of 75-100 posts. I am also pretty active in the diys and member help threads.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
This thread need pics of hot chicks in EC gear.

Is anything happening to the mod the wielded the ban hammer? Which one was it anyway?
Old 03-23-2012, 10:12 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
This thread need pics of hot chicks in EC gear.

Is anything happening to the mod the wielded the ban hammer? Which one was it anyway?

always my friend....
Old 03-23-2012, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by loungn14
I agree with the logic, but in all honestly it that were to be put in place IB would lose around 90% off its sponsors on this site. They run this type of system on other sites we sponsor and its almost not worth the $. The forum is indeed defined by members but free because of us sponsors.

We would have to pay double what we do now (and this is already one of the more expensive sites we sponsor out of the 15 we do) to get banner adds. Now, limit the exposure to one part of the forum and its a numbers game to determine if its worth it or not.

I personally enjoy posting in the regular forum, as you notice with my high post count. I image that I make a "sponsor" selling type message in 1 out of 75-100 posts. I am also pretty active in the diys and member help threads.
Jake,

You and EC should be the quintessential sponsor instead of the aberration. We all have the commonality of being big time MB nuts and it helps for the sponsors (like EC) to share that passion. Your participation and willingness to help, creates legitimacy and brand loyalty the other sponsors will never achieve.

I understand that not all sponsors have the will or desire to participate in the forum and that does not make them bad. they are trying to sell something to this target market and there is nothing wrong with that. Trust me, I believe in free markets big time.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Robb,

First of thanks for taking the time to ask about the problems here. It seems like you want to do right by people and thats a start. You know what would go a long way to correcting the problem here...An Apology!

Too many times, the mods have stepped out too far in there interpretation of "the rules".
Too many time the hypocrisy of the mod team has been exposed.
And too many times have member that have contributed tremendously to the community been penalized due to over zealous responses from the mods.

These are the core of the issues people have made there decision to leave upon.

I'll give you an example. I once posted about my experience with a certain brand header. I posted my impressions of said headers and my dyno gains. There is some design similarity between these headers and renntech's so for some reasone I was given an infraction for talking about them( because selling knock off's is aparently forbidden). Not selling, not endorsing, not setting up a group buy, but for my opioning and experience with them.

When I posted up to the community as to why I was being given an infraction, I was suspended by the mod. So not only was I unfairly penalized, It was doubled down by asking about it. How is this wrong...let me count the ways

1. I was given an infraction for HELPING members having used my own time and money to install a product and give my honest experience and views.
2. It was supposedly due to the fact that someone beleived these headers were knock offs, without conclusive proof
3. It was supposedly against TOU to sell knock off products(even though I wasn't selling anything), yet several "vendors" sell knock off wheels, badges, tires, etc. So it's ok for some vendor to try to sell knock offs, but not to give you opinion of them.
4. The mod that suspended me just happens to be a Vendor that sells competing headers( ya, no conflict of interest there!!)

So therein lies one simple example of how trying to help my community left me with the impression that the mods are c.ock smoking hypocrits who only care about about vendors, and revenue.

This has happened to many contributing members and thats how you get a consensus that the truth motivations of this site have little to do with community and everything to do with revenue and protection of vendors at all costs.

What the IB, Admin, Mod team need to realize is that nobody comes here looking for vendors to buy stuff from. People come to enthusiast communities to learn, share there experiences and enjoy their passion with others.

If this leads to a a recomendation on something to buy, great. If a member buys something for himself, and decides to buy a few more to help out others for sourcing it, better. If a member see an innovative new way to get us a product that doesn't exist, AMAZING!

These are things a community like this needs, and it's that kind of behaviour that should be protected and raised up and supported, NOT the vendors that don't /can't/won't deliver on items that this community actually requires.

Good luck on sorting that out

Pete
Old 03-23-2012, 11:00 PM

2003 SL55, 1978 280SL, 2007 ML63
Originally Posted by loungn14

I'm not really familiar with all the logistics on running this site and how much bandwidth they need to pay for. Those were just some ideas on how to encourage member participation/group buys while still having a way for vendors to advertise their product.

The main issue is that for example if I find a good deal on a carbon fiber engine cover made in China, but I need 10 members to do a group buy, the vendors might feel their toes being stepped on and the members would be upset that they couldn't get a good deal because I'm not a vendor. Maybe only limiting vendors to classifieds isn't the answer. Perhaps a $10 per person fee for every group buy that can go towards mbworld. I'm not sure what the solution is but it's not working how it is at the moment based on recent events around here.

As far as sponsors posting in the forums I think that's perfectly fine. If someone wants suggestions on pulley or headers etc vendors should be allowed to recommend their product. There's lots of good members that happen to be sponsors who post good advice and content. I should clarify that I was mainly referring to faceless sponsors who simply post an ad ("thread") for their product and then disappear only to bump their thread later. I wasn't referring to you or any of the other great vendors who are a good addition to the community
Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^^^^^^

Pete. It's now impossible for me to read your posts without picturing you shirtless in the lobby of the Hilton.

Canadians....I swear. Eh?
Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
^^^^^^

Pete. It's now impossible for me to read your posts without picturing you shirtless in the lobby of the Hilton.

Canidians....I swear. Eh?

Wait till I go pants-less this year!!
Old 03-23-2012, 11:14 PM
SPONSOR

I'm not really familiar with all the logistics on running this site and how much bandwidth they need to pay for. Those were just some ideas on how to encourage member participation/group buys while still having a way for vendors to advertise their product.

The main issue is that for example if I find a good deal on a carbon fiber engine cover made in China, but I need 10 members to do a group buy, the vendors might feel their toes being stepped on and the members would be upset that they couldn't get a good deal because I'm not a vendor. Maybe only limiting vendors to classifieds isn't the answer. Perhaps a $10 per person fee for every group buy that can go towards mbworld. I'm not sure what the solution is but it's not working how it is at the moment based on recent events around here.

As far as sponsors posting in the forums I think that's perfectly fine. If someone wants suggestions on pulley or headers etc vendors should be allowed to recommend their product. There's lots of good members that happen to be sponsors who post good advice and content. I should clarify that I was mainly referring to faceless sponsors who simply post an ad ("thread") for their product and then disappear only to bump their thread later. I wasn't referring to you or any of the other great vendors who are a good addition to the community
na i got ya....and it makes sense. The other idea is to get the vendor of choice to run a gb for ya. We do it all the time..

And trust me, we are just as annoyed as you are with that stuff....what would be nice is a vendor system like other sites have that allow more freedom for vendors who are active particpants in the forum...

Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Wait till I go pants-less this year!!
thats for painting that picture...and sadly i'll probably be right there next to you drunk with clayton yelling mush as he pushes the baggage cart with bottle in hand...

^^^^^^

Canadians....I swear. Eh?
damn, the memories....
Old 03-23-2012, 11:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 CL600
Robb,

First of thanks for taking the time to ask about the problems here. It seems like you want to do right by people and thats a start. You know what would go a long way to correcting the problem here...An Apology!

Too many times, the mods have stepped out too far in there interpretation of "the rules".
Too many time the hypocrisy of the mod team has been exposed.
And too many times have member that have contributed tremendously to the community been penalized due to over zealous responses from the mods.

These are the core of the issues people have made there decision to leave upon.

I'll give you an example. I once posted about my experience with a certain brand header. I posted my impressions of said headers and my dyno gains. There is some design similarity between these headers and renntech's so for some reasone I was given an infraction for talking about them( because selling knock off's is aparently forbidden). Not selling, not endorsing, not setting up a group buy, but for my opioning and experience with them.

When I posted up to the community as to why I was being given an infraction, I was suspended by the mod. So not only was I unfairly penalized, It was doubled down by asking about it. How is this wrong...let me count the ways

1. I was given an infraction for HELPING members having used my own time and money to install a product and give my honest experience and views.
2. It was supposedly due to the fact that someone beleived these headers were knock offs, without conclusive proof
3. It was supposedly against TOU to sell knock off products(even though I wasn't selling anything), yet several "vendors" sell knock off wheels, badges, tires, etc. So it's ok for some vendor to try to sell knock offs, but not to give you opinion of them.
4. The mod that suspended me just happens to be a Vendor that sells competing headers( ya, no conflict of interest there!!)

So therein lies one simple example of how trying to help my community left me with the impression that the mods are c.ock smoking hypocrits who only care about about vendors, and revenue.

This has happened to many contributing members and thats how you get a consensus that the truth motivations of this site have little to do with community and everything to do with revenue and protection of vendors at all costs.

What the IB, Admin, Mod team need to realize is that nobody comes here looking for vendors to buy stuff from. People come to enthusiast communities to learn, share there experiences and enjoy their passion with others.

If this leads to a a recomendation on something to buy, great. If a member buys something for himself, and decides to buy a few more to help out others for sourcing it, better. If a member see an innovative new way to get us a product that doesn't exist, AMAZING!

These are things a community like this needs, and it's that kind of behaviour that should be protected and raised up and supported, NOT the vendors that don't /can't/won't deliver on items that this community actually requires.

Good luck on sorting that out

Pete
I actually remember this whole fiasco. I had to talk to KLR through PMs about his headers because he was worried talking about it publicly would get him banned.

There are many trusted and loved sponsors on here like Jake and Bruce as well as others and they provide innovations that further the platforms they work on which is great, but there have been times when a member took a part off their own car, modified it and were annihilated for talking about it (fuel rail DIY comes to mind). A forum has to be about more than money. I understand it is what pays to keep the site free and all the other considerations that drive rule development and the interpretations of those rules. However, if you look at almost any other forum, from firearms to conspiracy theories, the communities exist because a group of people that wouldn't normally have the chance to ever talk to one another are brought together by common interests, DIY attitudes and a hunger for knowledge. If the dollars become more important than those base concepts then the point of the forum's existence has gotten lost.

I too became outraged when Shardul was trying to help Hadi get some things moving that would help him support his family and endeavors while he could not.

Someone mentioned a couple of mods by name and I have to say that I agree with that statement. If you review many of amdeutch's(sp?) posts, you will see that we are not just haphazzardly complaining. This person has very little to offer this site in terms of usefule posts. Most of his banter is aimed at correcting someone for something they have said, generally being a sarcastic, condescending person or issuing infractions. I'm not trying to be offensive here, but if that's all you are here to do, you have no business whatsoever being in a control position.

I really enjoy this site and I hate, HATE, seeing this all going on and for what it's worth, I am one of the guys a forum like this exists for. I have saved thousands upon thousands of dollars coming here and finding out what Shardul, Hadi, Emoving, Moose, KLR and hundreds of other members have learned the hard way and by making the initial mistake so that others here like myself can do things the right way the first time. I have made almost every purchase for my car based on this community and its member's opinions. I couldn't and probably wouldn't have done anything to my car, even basic maintenance without this site.

Thank you for listening to the members here and at least trying to save this forum before it loses alot of its valuable members.

Regards
Old 03-23-2012, 11:57 PM
SPONSOR

you guys all make good points....

and just for the record guys....on a facebook thread that discusses this....

I have 28 members on the discussion, all of which have "moved" This is no small few members thing.

We are sponsors of the other site as well, and the membership and threads have easily tripled..
Old 03-24-2012, 12:35 AM

stuff
Wow. This forum is a bigger turd than I thought.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
i would like to see members that scam other members receive the BAN HAMMER! Between two threads and over 8 thousand views and near 200 comments regarding benzaddict ripping me off and he is still allowed to post here including his latest thread on his pulley breaking...oh wait that's the pulley that he never paid for
Old 03-24-2012, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
i would like to see members that scam other members receive the BAN HAMMER! Between two threads and over 8 thousand views and near 200 comments regarding benzaddict ripping me off and he is still allowed to post here including his latest thread on his pulley breaking...oh wait that's the pulley that he never paid for
I agree with this. Members that are known to have done this kind of wrong should not be here, PERIOD!
Old 03-24-2012, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Damn. The more that is revealed and I read..it's worse than I thought. When I joined this forum, I already had my first Benz, the E320. I was getting ready to acquire other MB's (CLS and R I have now) and came here as this site was highly recommended. This was back years ago, and as time has went on, this place seems to have lost the original mantra. I thought this site was supposed to be a place of camaraderie, discussion, help, and love of what we all have in common..MB's.

I have to say I have been subjected to some of the most classless, tasteless rude behavior here more than any other car forum. Racial remarks, insults, douche attitudes about financial position, and so forth. At one time I left for over a year but I came back. On the flip-side, there have been some really cool guys I have met personally, talked to, and got advice from that "somewhat" restored my faith in what I originally thought this place was supposed to be. Then of course, came the mass banning of mods and others for personal reasons more than actually TOU violations...the morale here seems to have sunk to another low.

The crux of this is...it can be changed, it can be improved, but it has to come from the top on down. We as members have the voice..but for many that have left in the past few days it's too late. Or is it?

Old 03-24-2012, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by bigben320e
Damn. The more that is revealed and I read..it's worse than I thought. When I joined this forum, I already had my first Benz, the E320. I was getting ready to acquire other MB's (CLS and R I have now) and came here as this site was highly recommended. This was back years ago, and as time has went on, this place seems to have lost the original mantra. I thought this site was supposed to be a place of camaraderie, discussion, help, and love of what we all have in common..MB's.

I have to say I have been subjected to some of the most classless, tasteless rude behavior here more than any other car forum. Racial remarks, insults, douche attitudes about financial position, and so forth. At one time I left for over a year but I came back. On the flip-side, there have been some really cool guys I have met personally, talked to, and got advice from that "somewhat" restored my faith in what I originally thought this place was supposed to be. Then of course, came the mass banning of mods and others for personal reasons more than actually TOU violations...the morale here seems to have sunk to another low.

The crux of this is...it can be changed, it can be improved, but it has to come from the top on down. We as members have the voice..but for many that have left in the past few days it's too late. Or is it?

A fair, rational & perceptive post Ben. Mistakes have been made & after review, some soul searching & due consideration by all, Shardul's suspension has been reversed with regrets. I certainly hope that Shardul will continue his valuable input to this forum. I have personally learned from it even though I mainly confine my activities to helping with & expanding my knowledge from the input/questions of fellow members on the W203, 204 & 209 forums.

You guys have the ears of the owners IB. We will certainly endeavour to make this forum what you want it to be.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 s65. Ford Excursion 6.0. Pontiac GTO convertible. Porsche 944 Turbo SCCA car. Wife-E550 and 968
I am a member who jumped to the "other" website because of Sharduls ban. I am impressed that Robb from IB had the pouch to come on and do something about it, and I am hoping that irreparable damage has not been done to the w211 forum. I for one will keep posting here, though I have a w220.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'll ask again, since it wasn't answered the first time:

Is anything happening to the mod that wielded the ban hammer?
Old 03-24-2012, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
I'll ask again, since it wasn't answered the first time:

Is anything happening to the mod that wielded the ban hammer?
This!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
This is part of the evolution of a popular forum. Its happened multiple times since MBWorld's inception, wont be the first and it wont be the last.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Off topic: Is Shardul banned?