Sponsored by:

Off topic: Is Shardul banned?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e36 318i, 2004 sti
Most likely nothing is going to happen to that mod. Just like when that one mod starting to get in an arguement with cale and than banned him after sending him harrasing Pm's.. He posted the pm so everyone could see his treatment and was banned. The mod also rarely ever post and does not own a MB.. I liked this forum a lot at one time. Terrible way to run a forum..
Old 03-24-2012, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Originally Posted by bigben320e
Damn. The more that is revealed and I read..it's worse than I thought. When I joined this forum, I already had my first Benz, the E320. I was getting ready to acquire other MB's (CLS and R I have now) and came here as this site was highly recommended. This was back years ago, and as time has went on, this place seems to have lost the original mantra. I thought this site was supposed to be a place of camaraderie, discussion, help, and love of what we all have in common..MB's.

I have to say I have been subjected to some of the most classless, tasteless rude behavior here more than any other car forum. Racial remarks, insults, douche attitudes about financial position, and so forth. At one time I left for over a year but I came back. On the flip-side, there have been some really cool guys I have met personally, talked to, and got advice from that "somewhat" restored my faith in what I originally thought this place was supposed to be. Then of course, came the mass banning of mods and others for personal reasons more than actually TOU violations...the morale here seems to have sunk to another low.

The crux of this is...it can be changed, it can be improved, but it has to come from the top on down. We as members have the voice..but for many that have left in the past few days it's too late. Or is it?

Agreed!

So, unanswered question remains about the mods ...
Who is staying, who is going? (or are they untouchable)
Old 03-24-2012, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
This will be interesting, because there is a precedent for this type of behavior from the mods. For those that remember the debacle in OT just a short time ago, it resulted in many mods being stripped of their mod privileges. Many of the recent bannings here were deserved, with some of the members committing banicide. I'm sure if you ask some of those members, they'll agree. And it was what they were looking for. No problem from me on those...

However, there's been a slew of underserved bannings, from this mod that's drunk with power. IB obviously agrees with the membership, because they've reversed the decision on Shardul.

Anything short of this mod losing his power, is nothing more than an attemp by IB to stop the membership migration away from here. But the root of the issue will remain.

For me, I'll be taking my talents to South Beach, that resides on PSC, unless tha mod loses his crown. I may pop in to help another member in need, but I'll never start another thread here. I get along with almost everyone, so the fact that I'm at this point, should say something. I encourage anyone from IB to audit any one of my 7,400+ posts, to find the ones where I've gotten into an online pissing match with another member and/or mod. It's just not who I am, or what I'm about. So, my current mood and opinion, should be used as a great barometer, for the overall state of affairs here.

I dunno, maybe I'm out of line here....what does the membership think? Now is the time to voice your opinion, with no fear that you'll be acted upon unfairly by the mod team. Even the bad ones would be foolish to do something like that with IB brass watching this. However, I encourage everyone to voice their concerns within the confines of the TOU.

IB says we have their ear. Lets see if that's true or not. Hopefully it's not just lip service.....

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 03-24-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
If they have our ears, what about addressing the douche bag scam artist?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
If they have our ears, what about addressing the douche bag scam artist?
Unfortunately, you find the scam artist on all forums.

We can only do so much, as we aren't cops. Some get banned, others may get away with somethings. Again, it's not a perfect system. If members don't hit the report button, we might not see it. Members need to help out here.

Just this morning (after this supposed post slow down), we've had 169 new posts in less than 5 hours. You can see that we can't read them all. We have lives outside of the forum, just like everyone else.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
While I won’t say this is my last post ever on MBW – Sadly I am also moving to another planet.

I think one of the most telling signs is that it took the overnight success of a competing forum to finally get IB here addressing the issues.

And before we hear it one more time from them and the mods…Yes, we know many of you were unaware of the problems and we should have been more diligent in using proper procedure and hit the report button.

But as you so eloquently pointed out…this is a community. Communities should include members of the moderating team, sponsors and ownership participating, side-by-side with members, in threads, lending advice and developing an understanding and appreciation of the communities issues.

Jake at Eurocharged is an excellent example of how to coexist a business and a passion and not only make money here….but contribute in a very positive way.

We should not need to scream at the top of our lungs for months about how this place is falling apart and then have a mod or an owner come on here after a mass exodus and tell us to basically stop being cry babies and do a better job of helping them do theirs.

Maybe the best piece of advice I can give IB is to be more involved in their community.

Kirk out…..
Old 03-24-2012, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Unfortunately, you find the scam artist on all forums.

We can only do so much, as we aren't cops. Some get banned, others may get away with somethings. Again, it's not a perfect system. If members don't hit the report button, we might not see it. Members need to help out here.

Just this morning (after this supposed post slow down), we've had 169 new posts in less than 5 hours. You can see that we can't read them all. We have lives outside of the forum, just like everyone else.
I'm assuming that you didn't read my earlier post or read any of the two following threads listed below. Take a min or ten and go over these threads and then tell me if I even need to hit some sort of report button?

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ley-broke.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ry-inside.html
Old 03-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Worth the wait
While I won’t say this is my last post ever on MBW – Sadly I am also moving to another planet.

I think one of the most telling signs is that it took the overnight success of a competing forum to finally get IB here addressing the issues.

And before we hear it one more time from them and the mods…Yes, we know many of you were unaware of the problems and we should have been more diligent in using proper procedure and hit the report button.

But as you so eloquently pointed out…this is a community. Communities should include members of the moderating team, sponsors and ownership participating, side-by-side with members, in threads, lending advice and developing an understanding and appreciation of the communities issues.

Jake at Eurocharged is an excellent example of how to coexist a business and a passion and not only make money here….but contribute in a very positive way.

We should not need to scream at the top of our lungs for months about how this place is falling apart and then have a mod or an owner come on here after a mass exodus and tell us to basically stop being cry babies and do a better job of helping them do theirs.

Maybe the best piece of advice I can give IB is to be more involved in their community.

Kirk out…..
Please understand, I am not trying to antagonize or pick a fight here but, how many forums (on MBW) do you frequent?

There are 84 public forums (not including numerous sub-fourms, like this one) on MBW. We have about 4-5 active Mods at the best times. Can you understand how, as volunteers, we are stretched a bit thin?

IB owns something like 93 other sites, some much more active than this one. They prefer to stay out of the actual day-to-day operations and allow the membership to develop the community. Again, this place is what we make of it. If we sit back and let the haters hate, we have an uncivil community. If we let the scammers hock their wares without restriction, we have a scared community that distrusts each other. You see where I'm going here?

That being said, you are SO very correct when you say that this is a community. As a community, we look out for each other. Each Mod has forums that they frequent most often, like you do. I, for one, enjoy the C32/C55 forum because that's what I drive. I rarely spend time policing the Diesel forum. It does not align with my interests.

As I said earlier, with 222,000+ users, we need the community to work together for the betterment of the site. When a group throws a collective hissy-fit over an action between a member and a Mod, it becomes counter productive to all.

The other site may have some of you talking amongst yourselves, but let's face it, some of the best advise given on your aging cars (don't give me crap about that comment, mine is 10 years old too) has been posted here, long ago. Are people coming back to search the libraries here then take the info back there to discuss?

Your example of Jake is great. I agree completely. Having an enthusiast/sponsor posting here on a regular basis is ideal. I wish more sponsors were like him.

Since it is the weekend, I expect that Robb M. is off until Monday and should address some of your questions then.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

I'm assuming that you didn't read my earlier post or read any of the two following threads listed below. Take a min or ten and go over these threads and then tell me if I even need to hit some sort of report button?

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ley-broke.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ry-inside.html
As I said in my last post, we try to read as many posts as possible but, we only have so much free time. Were we supposed to find those threads without guidance? I don't drive an E55 so, I am not in this forum much.

When's the last time you read about the scams in the C32/C55 forum? They happen there too.

Any one of the post that would bring this situation to our attention could be reported.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:34 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
The excuse "we are volunteers" is getting really old.

Do you understand how it makes us feel as paying sponsors? I won't tell everyone the thousands and thousands of dollars EC has spent here over the last few years.

When we need you the "we are volunteers" line gets used. However, when Shardul tries to help a friend / fellow member, he is banned without question.

Shardul and I are REALLY close friends and I have 0 issues with him selling anything on this forum. He doesn't cross the line and is always aware of us paying vendors. I get at least 2-3 calls / txt's from him a month about this.

I pay good money to sponsor this site. I would like to see IB employee's manage it better and get rid of volunteers....I mean if you can't dedicate the time, why try?

I coach Little League, Soccer, have 3 kids, run a thriving business, etc and you never hear me complain about time.

Shame IB!

Please understand, I am not trying to antagonize or pick a fight here but, how many forums (on MBW) do you frequent?

There are 84 public forums (not including numerous sub-fourms, like this one) on MBW. We have about 4-5 active Mods at the best times. Can you understand how, as volunteers, we are stretched a bit thin?

IB owns something like 93 other sites, some much more active than this one. They prefer to stay out of the actual day-to-day operations and allow the membership to develop the community. Again, this place is what we make of it. If we sit back and let the haters hate, we have an uncivil community. If we let the scammers hock their wares without restriction, we have a scared community that distrusts each other. You see where I'm going here?

That being said, you are SO very correct when you say that this is a community. As a community, we look out for each other. Each Mod has forums that they frequent most often, like you do. I, for one, enjoy the C32/C55 forum because that's what I drive. I rarely spend time policing the Diesel forum. It does not align with my interests.

As I said earlier, with 222,000+ users, we need the community to work together for the betterment of the site. When a group throws a collective hissy-fit over an action between a member and a Mod, it becomes counter productive to all.

The other site may have some of you talking amongst yourselves, but let's face it, some of the best advise given on your aging cars (don't give me crap about that comment, mine is 10 years old too) has been posted here, long ago. Are people coming back to search the libraries here then take the info back there to discuss?

Your example of Jake is great. I agree completely. Having an enthusiast/sponsor posting here on a regular basis is ideal. I wish more sponsors were like him.

Since it is the weekend, I expect that Robb M. is off until Monday and should address some of your questions then.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
As I said in my last post, we try to read as many posts as possible but, we only have so much free time. Were we supposed to find those threads without guidance? I don't drive an E55 so, I am not in this forum much.

When's the last time you read about the scams in the C32/C55 forum? They happen there too.

Any one of the post that would bring this situation to our attention could be reported.
Originally Posted by Vic55
Quote:

jack
I rarely, if ever, stop threads of exposure as long as they remain relatively civil and factual. I like both sides to have their say in the public; so by all means, fire away!!!!

So you see Scott from the small amount that I posted from the message up above, a moderator was notified. I explained the situation and informed him of my intentions to expose benzaddict and he said fire away.

Last edited by Hammer Down; 03-24-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 C55, 1995 C36
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
This will be interesting, because there is a precedent for this type of behavior from the mods. For those that remember the debacle in OT just a short time ago, it resulted in many mods being stripped of their mod privileges. Many of the recent bannings were deserved, with some of the members committing banicide.

However, there's been a slew of underserved bannings, from this mod that's drunk with power. IB obviously agrees with the membership, because they've reversed the decision on Shardul.

Anything short of this mod losing his power, is nothing more than an attemp by IB to stop the membership migration away from here. But the root of the issue will remain.

For me, I'll be taking my talents to South Beach, that resides on PSC, unless tha mod loses his crown. I may pop in to help another member in need, but I'll never start another thread here.

Maybe I'm out of line here....what does the membership think?

IB says we have their ear. Lets see....
Couldn't agree more Benz-O-Rama, and I do not believe you are out of line. I don't often post in the 211 AMG section, but have learned (and observed) a great deal through my lurking here. The heavy-handed moderation and the inequity of it's application has been obvious even to an "outsider" here. I have been disapointed enough to consider transferring my allegiances as many E55'ers have to the other location, but as of this point there exists no support for W203 AMGs. I use MBWorld because there is more information for our rare cars here than on any other site to be found elsewhere. That being said, through apparent lack of even-handed oversight, the difficulty in heading in an alternate direction has become more appealing than taking the perceived abuse in staying here. I feel the need to restate this for ultimate clarity: IB, your business model isn't working! Users have gone so far as to take on creating their own environment because the one you provide has become completely unappealing!!!

While I completely understand that IB is positioned as the middle man between vendor and consumer, and that the paid sponsorship of vendors provides the operating costs for this community, IB needs to remember that the most important component of the structure they provide is the END USER. As the VP of a service-oriented corporation, I do not envy IB's position. It is often difficult enough to satisfy the needs of ONE customer, let alone TWO! That being said, users and sponsors alike need to be aware that they are playing on a level field!

Taken from The IB main website:
Looking ahead, Internet Brands has the people and infrastructure in place to continue to significantly grow its audience, advertisers, and revenues.

No audience = no advertisers = no revenue.

While I have no doubt that the W211 forum will continue either with or without those that have chosen to relocate (albeit at a greatly reduced value!) I believe that IB has to view this as a great opportunity to communicate the importance of the END USER in their business model!

The perception of members is that they are considered the LEAST important when in fact they are the MOST important part of this community. I have several suggestions, in no level of importance:

1. That any communications regarding warnings or disciplinary actions from MODs take place IN OPEN FORUM. There is no reason whatsoever that anyone should have had to start a thread about "IS SHARDUL BANNED?". If MODs truely are adhering to established IB standards, there is no need for PMs in application of disciplinary action. I would suggest this take place for Vendors as well, if this truely is to be considered a "community".

2. While I have valued this website and have learned a great deal from it, I do not believe it is a member's responsibility to police vendors or MODs by reporting posts.

3. That the spirit of the TOU be enforced, not the letter of the law. While Shardul may have been un-suspended, irreparable damage has been done in this section of the "community". This is what astonishes me the most and leads me to believe that the suspending MOD in question needs to be removed.

Maybe an analogy will sum up my position the best...I value the knowledge imparted to me in a letter more than the paper it is written on...

IB, the ball is in your court.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Jerry@Eurocharged
The excuse "we are volunteers" is getting really old.

Do you understand how it makes us feel as paying sponsors? I won't tell everyone the thousands and thousands of dollars EC has spent here over the last few years.

When we need you the "we are volunteers" line gets used. However, when Shardul tries to help a friend / fellow member, he is banned without question.

Shardul and I are REALLY close friends and I have 0 issues with him selling anything on this forum. He doesn't cross the line and is always aware of us paying vendors. I get at least 2-3 calls / txt's from him a month about this.

I pay good money to sponsor this site. I would like to see IB employee's manage it better and get rid of volunteers....I mean if you can't dedicate the time, why try?

I coach Little League, Soccer, have 3 kids, run a thriving business, etc and you never hear me complain about time.

Shame IB!
Jerry, if you have a problem with volunteers, fine..I'm out.

What will this place look like with no supervision at all?
Old 03-24-2012, 03:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 C55, 1995 C36

Scott, perhaps I should have mentioned this as well...In relying on volunteers, maybe IB is exacerbating the issues many have here. I appreciate the time that the even-minded MODs such as Vic and yourself put in here and understand that you have limited time and IB standards to adhere to. I have seen the assistance you offer in the W203 AMG forum and have benefitted from it, but the fact is that users have limited time as well. I work 70-80 hours a week and have no inclination to police other members...

Please don't take this as any form of criticism towards you, that is not my intent. I am only saying that perhaps if IB had dedicated staff that COULD pay attention to what goes on here, and apply the site standards to members and vendors alike, ALL would benefit.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Are people coming back to search the libraries here then take the info back there to discuss?

Actually a lot of people are reposting content over there and starting similar threads. Already more useful and timely stickies there in three weeks than here...lol.

Oh yeah, the group buys are freakin great. Between the carbon pieces and the fueling solutions, the cost of modding has been reduced by half.

And the more members from here visit there the better that site gets.

The irony is that by inappropriate action by mods (and inaction by IB)
we ended up with a forum that really is better.

I am excited again about modding and absolutely loving the comradiere that is rapidly evolving over there.

Dont get me wrong, outside of a few over zealous mods, this site is great. Honestly this forum and its community are one of the main reasons I bought the car I did. Heck I even purchesed a set of forged wheels for my E55 through this forum...even before I owned the car.

However, we are bigger than any host or internet company. If we stick together and put a little effort into creating a new environment we will end up with a truly better home.

The King is dead.....long live the King!

BTW I totally agree with Jerry..."I am a volunterr" is not an acceptable response from a mod. Yes I am sure it is a lot of work, but you agreed to be responsible forthat work.
If it is too much, quit - no one has a gun to your head.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:06 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by dre5373
Scott, perhaps I should have mentioned this as well...In relying on volunteers, maybe IB is exacerbating the issues many have here. I appreciate the time that the even-minded MODs such as Vic and yourself put in here and understand that you have limited time and IB standards to adhere to. I have seen the assistance you offer in the W203 AMG forum and have benefitted from it, but the fact is that users have limited time as well. I work 70-80 hours a week and have no inclination to police other members...

Please don't take this as any form of criticism towards you, that is not my intent. I am only saying that perhaps if IB had dedicated staff that COULD pay attention to what goes on here, and apply the site standards to members and vendors alike, ALL would benefit.
this is what we are getting at scott....its not a bash on you. With the tens of thousands of dollars this site makes MONTHLY they can easily afford to do so. You would be surprised on how much us vendors talk, and a few of us are of the same opinion. The efforts made by a few mods on their own time is commended, but just like you stated you cannot get to everything.

Also IB, lets talk numbers. When I logged in this morning to this site, psc had 23 more people online (around 1800) Sure that has changed as of the time of this posting, but that should be a surefire wake up call.

If something doesn't change, you are going to start losing some of your long term sponsors...
Old 03-24-2012, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Originally Posted by loungn14
If something doesn't change, you are going to start losing some of your long term sponsors...
This what I am talking about with you, you arent just a bunch of talk.
Thanks for saying what every vendor is thinking.

Put up or shut up IB

And speaking of vendors,,,where is evrybody else. This is their form as well, they should be lending their opinions right?
Old 03-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Vic55
Quote:

jack
I rarely, if ever, stop threads of exposure as long as they remain relatively civil and factual. I like both sides to have their say in the public; so by all means, fire away!!!!

So you see Scott from the small amount that I posted from the message up above, a moderator was notified. I explained the situation and informed him of my intentions to expose benzaddict and he said fire away.
Vic gave a great answer. So, the scammer was exposed?
Old 03-24-2012, 04:59 PM
IB Staff

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts
993tt
wow, thank you, everyone. You have certainly given us a lot of valuable feedback! It is definitely appreciated. I will read every word, and will then work with the site team to formulate a plan that addresses your concerns, and provides a clear plan moving forward.

So that this thread doesn't eat into Scott's weekend any more than it already has, I am going to close it, until we have some response to provide. Additionally, we will very likely be reaching out to some of you directly for some more clarification about your comments.

Thank you again, to each of you for providing the feedback for us to review, much appreciated.

cheers,
robb