W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket or cracked head?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Originally Posted by benz_addict
Great work man, did you take off the headers then removed the heads? I usually leave the headers on while taking the heads out. Saves tonnes of time
Well I learned the hard way taking the headers off before removing the heads. What a PITA! I had became a contortionist to get to some of the bolts. Putting the heads on with the headers was a Godsent.

My problem now is a major leak at the oil dipstick tube grommet from wrenching the tube out of the way a couple times. I cannot get the damn tube out to replace the grommet. I fear I may need to pull the oil pan to get it out!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:17 PM

04 E55
Well, it's been a little over a month and she is running strong. No more coolant smell at startup, misfires, nothing. Just smoke from the tires when I turn the traction control off and hit the gas.

Car runs better than before. Maybe the 82MM throttle body has something to do with it!

If anyone else decides to tackle this project on their own, let me know, there are some things that I could have done to make the job easier. thanks again to all of those who helped me out!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 PM

04 E55
Oh and that oil tube leak. you must pull the oil pan to get the tube out to replace the grommet. I cut the tube off about 4 inches from where it goes in the oil pan and pulled it out. Replaced the grommet and put a bolt in it.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
I hope to run into you on 83 sometime...