The S/C Pulley Thread to end all Pulley Threads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by Toadster
I'm talking gasoline - the way some guys are talking here, they'll blame the petroleum company for providing bad gas if their motor blows...
Do you have an extra $10 grand kicking around to rebuild your motor?
Old 05-01-2012, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AKnight55
Do you have an extra $10 grand kicking around to rebuild your motor?
everyone should think of that question when modding their car
Old 05-01-2012, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Warranty Primer

Let's examine a representative pulley warranty from a well-known tuning company (do any other companies even offer a warranty on their pullies?):

RENNTECH WARRANTY
RENNtech warrants that all RENNtech products are free from defects in material and workmanship.

Sounds good so far.

A. FOR VEHICLES NOT COVERED BY THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE MANUFACTURER’S NEW CAR
WARRANTY.

That's all E55 owners.

This warranty extends to the original owner only and is not transferable.

Don't buy a used pulley and expect any warranty.

The warranty begins on the date of purchase (invoice) and ends twenty four (24) months from this date for parts, and twenty four (24) months from this date for engine conversions.

Uh-oh, the warranty is only valid for two years for the original purchaser.

Due to the variety of modifications and changes made to Mercedes-Benz cars and/or engines that may affect the performance or durability of related components,
RENNtech’s obligation under this warranty extends only to the repair or of replacement parts manufactured or sold by RENNtech and not for painting and labor.

This means they will repair or replace your pulley only (not your engine) - if it fails while you are the original owner during your first two years of ownership.

To file a warranty claim, parts must be returned with proof of purchase, the customer name and address, type of car, year, engine number, odometer reading, and VIN number, the part covered under warranty with installation and removal date, and the date the part was delivered. No claims will be considered without valid proof of purchase and all of this information and the original RENNtech part. Return freight charges must be prepaid. Collect charged returns will not be accepted. All parts replaced under warranty will become the sole property of RENNtech.

Nothing surprising here. You have to prove you're the original owner and that the part is still within the warranty period.

EXCLUSIONS FOR BOTH WARRANTIES (A AND B)
Parts showing evidence of misapplication, abuse, improper maintenance, alterations from their original configuration, or failure to follow installation instructions are expressly not covered by this warranty.

The first line of defense. Blame it on the installer. There's a reason for this - many installers do, in fact, not follow provided instructions, or factory procedures described in the MB workship information system. As an added advantage, it's very difficult to prove a failed part isn't the result of a bad install.

RENNtech also reserves the right to make changes to products, or specifications at any time without obligation to modify earlier parts.

The next line of defense. If a product exhibits a pattern of problems, the manufacturer retains the right to implement corrective design changes in later versions. Or simply improve the product. Just because they do doesn't automatically make the prior version defective.

No person, company, or other organization is authorized to assume for RENNtech any warranty responsibility or make binding judgments regarding warranties of any parts, which from time to time may become subject of a warranty claim.

Third line of defense. Only the manufacturer can obligate itself and determine whether it will honor the offered warranty.

Okay, now it gets fun. If the first lines of defense don't wipe out your warranty claim, there's a very good chance the warranty exclusions will:

RENNTECH’S LIMITED PRODUCT WARRANTY SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDES:
Shipping charges, towing and rental car charges, damage to a component or assembly due to installation of replacement parts with specifications that differ in any material respect from the original vehicle manufacturer’s or RENNtech parts,

This is the "one tuner" exclusion. If you have stuff on your car from another tuner, it's easy to deny warranty because those other parts may be materially different from either MB parts or Renntech parts.

damage resulting from the unauthorized modification of a RENNtech part,

This would be where your mechanic modifies the warrantied part, like drilling extra holes in it to pin it to a crankshaft, for example.

damage resulting from the use of other manufacturers products in conjunction with RENNtech product or system,

This would exclude from coverage a car that had ASP idler pullies, for example, running on the same drive belt as the crank pulley. Those ASP pullies could mess up the Renntech pulley.

damage to clutch due to power shifting or abuse,

Self-explanatory.

maintenance services and parts when replaced during maintenance such as spark plugs, lubricants, fluids, engine tune-up parts, replacement of filters, coolant and refrigerant, mechanical adjustments or repairs which result from normal wear and tear, drive belts, light bulbs, damage due to the failure to perform maintenance services at the specified intervals or in accordance with the instructions in the owners manual from the original vehicle manufacturer or RENNtech product instructions,

Normal maintenance items and failure to maintain are never warrantied.

damage attributed to negligence, improper installation, improper treatment contrary to the instructions in the owners manual from the original vehicle manufacturer or RENNtech product instructions,

This is where the rubber ordinarily meets the road. Most pulley failures previously discussed on this Board have been the result of improper installation. There probably has been a representative pulley from every 55k pulley manufacturer ever that has fallen off or come loose due to an improper installation. Bad installs are not uncommon. Most warranty claims, and particularly for pullies, can and will be denied on this basis - improper installation.

To avoid this outcome, you need to have your mechanic warranty to you in writing his labor to install the pulley and any consequential damages that result from his installation. Without this, you have nothing. And very few, if any, mechanics will provide you with this warranty. Why should a mechanic go on the line for potentially thousands of dollars of liability for the $200 - $400 of labor he'll charge you to install your pulley? If I were a professional wrench, I know for sure I wouldn't.

damage resulting from improper or contaminated fuel, damage to a RENNtech component as a result of a collision or improper collision repairs,

Straightforward and obvious.

any vehicle/products operated and used in a competitive event

I don't know, is drag racing a competitive event?

, custom designed competition parts,

Obvious.

incidental and /or consequential damages,

Uh-oh. There's that darn "consequential damages" expression again. That means very plainly and simply that the warranty, if valid and honored, only applies to the part being warrantied itself, and NEVER to the bad stuff that happens if the part fails for reasons other than a bad installation. This for example, would exclude from coverage any damage to the crankshaft or any other engine compartment components that might have become damaged when the pulley came undone on the crankshaft. All of this "other" damage is considered consequential.

including loss of time, inconvenience or loss of the use of the vehicle.

More "consequential" stuff not covered.

RENNtech’s Warranty Policy only applies to RENNtech vehicles and products sold in the US and Canada.

So here we have one of the few aftermarket warranties known to exist, offered by a highly reputable tuning company. And what protection does it really offer the buyer of a new part? VERY LITTLE AT ALL.

That's why when we start modding our cars we are essentially assuming the risk of doing so.

I don't know what other companies besides RennTech offers any sort of warranty on their crank pullies, but it's safe to assume they more than likely do not cover any more than the Renntech warranty does, if even that.

Applying the general concepts noted above, it seems like the right outcome in the current pulley debacle would be for RTR to either refund the purchase price paid for the failed pulley or to replace it, assuming it was sold with a warranty and the terms and conditions of the warranty were satisfied by the purchasers. Beyond that, it's very difficult to see how, according to standard SEMA aftermarket warranty terms, they would have any obligation beyond that. And I don't even know if the pulley in question was sold with a warranty similar to that offered by Renntech. Or whether the purchasers inquired about whether the product was warrantied. Or whether the installers are completely without fault. Hope it gets sorted out; it's unfortunate to see the Board(s) split into three camps.

Last edited by komp55; 05-01-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
^^^^^^ good post
Old 05-01-2012, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Hulk
^^^^^^ good post
+1 agreed
Old 05-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
^^^^^^ good post
No, that was a REALLY good post.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
How about REALLY REALLY good post lol
Old 05-01-2012, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by komp55
Let's examine a representative pulley warranty from a well-known tuning company (do any other companies even offer a warranty on their pullies?):

Due to the variety of modifications and changes made to Mercedes-Benz cars and/or engines that may affect the performance or durability of related components,
RENNtech’s obligation under this warranty extends only to the repair or of replacement parts manufactured or sold by RENNtech and not for painting and labor.

This means they will repair or replace your pulley only (not your engine) - if it fails while you are the original owner during your first two years of ownership.
^what he said

it does suck that it happened though
Old 05-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

How about REALLY REALLY good post lol
^infinity!

I win.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
Yea good post but that's a Renntech pulley that's has been TESTED and PROVEN. I can atleast call and talk to Renntech and I never asked for another motor either and I don't think Craig did either. Good luck even talking to anyone at RTR/UPD(Brooke/Shardul). This thread has exposed them for what they are and as you can see by neither of them answering any questions you know exactly what they are now.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I am sure Renntech puts their parts through rigorous r&d, that is why they can have loose warrantys, second if this issue had occurred with a renntech pulley, I am sure they would have come out, identified themselves and stood up for their product. The fact that non of that has occurred with red spoof racing just solidify's their business practices, and should be a major CAUTION for any future customers.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
Forgot to mention I'm 200% positive if i had a Renntech pulley i wouldnt be going thru this right now. Maybe I should go into business and sell stuff that dosent work and screw people over and I don't have to worry about paying to become a sponsor because we've seen you don't have to be a sponsor on here to sell anything you want. All the paying sponsors should stop paying and continue selling things because the mods have shown everyone that's ok.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by AKnight55
Wrong.. Its called standing behind your product. Take a look at MBH headers.. Lifetime warranty, ya you read that right lifetime.. Not hiding in the shadows when something goes wrong.
+1

Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
I'll be the first to say it, We've laid an egg from time to time. With a fitment problem, but who hasn't in the header biz. Rule number 1 with me is "always take care of the customer, Give them a great product that's worth the money they spend." Then back it up with a protection plan that shows the customer we will always be there for them if something comes up. That just the person I am.
I am able to speak to this. I have a fitment issue with my header, Mike has stepped up to the plate and is shipping out a new header as soon as it is built. He stands behind his product, no run around, no blame game, no bull*****; unlike others I have purchased headers from...
Old 05-01-2012, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by e55amgrocket
Yea good post but that's a Renntech pulley that's has been TESTED and PROVEN. I can atleast call and talk to Renntech and I never asked for another motor either and I don't think Craig did either. Good luck even talking to anyone at RTR/UPD(Brooke/Shardul). This thread has exposed them for what they are and as you can see by neither of them answering any questions you know exactly what they are now.
testedand proven are relative terms

While I agree that it sucks that you guys seem to be given a runaround - most people respond more rapidly to legal recourse. Obviously with all this attention, you aren't going to see 2 peeps out of anyone who is under analysis because it can be used against them...

if you're looking to 'out' someone in public - this probably isn't the place

honestly, I don't know any of you guys beyond the keyboards you sit at - but take it to a different level; next thing we know MBW will be held under subpoena for libel posts, and assisting felons, etc...

either talk about the S/C pulley in this thread - or move along and create something else to talk about.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
testedand proven are relative terms

While I agree that it sucks that you guys seem to be given a runaround - most people respond more rapidly to legal recourse. Obviously with all this attention, you aren't going to see 2 peeps out of anyone who is under analysis because it can be used against them...

if you're looking to 'out' someone in public - this probably isn't the place

honestly, I don't know any of you guys beyond the keyboards you sit at - but take it to a different level; next thing we know MBW will be held under subpoena for libel posts, and assisting felons, etc...

either talk about the S/C pulley in this thread - or move along and create something else to talk about.

I don't get it, why you keep defending them ? because you also bought a SC pulley ??? Good luck with that product in your car ! Still waiting for your installation and show some real resource with dyno. Talk is CHEAP just DO it ! show us the result from your own car
Old 05-01-2012, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
He must be getting a kickback on them. Plus he finally feels like he fits in somewhere lol. Turdster has been trying to fit in somewhere his whole life lol
Old 05-01-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
wow not sure exactly what happened but this blew up .

im new to this place for the most part and have a stock e55 , i bought one of these pullies and am waiting to receive to install along with a cm 30 and heat exchanger from ec. while i do expect to receive parts that will work and not have any problems when installed 100% correct . i know i am still taking a chance with modding my engine . its a game we all play. i have spent 1000 of dollars and hours on previous vehicles i have modded to beyond what anyone normally does so i know even if you spent the most and got the best everything there is still a chance something will go wrong . if it were easy and bullet proof it wouldnt be the same . its like gambling .

i hope you get everything straightened out and wish to see more real world reviews of this product.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by e55amgrocket
Maybe I should go into business and sell stuff that dosent work and screw people over and I don't have to worry about paying to become a sponsor because we've seen you don't have to be a sponsor on here to sell anything you want.
I trust you are not speaking from experience?

All the paying sponsors should stop paying and continue selling things because the mods have shown everyone that's ok.
Please don't make assumptions that you know what is going on or not going on, behind the scenes of MBW.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
Originally Posted by ScottW911
I trust you are not speaking from experience?

Please don't make assumptions that you know what is going on or not going on, behind the scenes of MBW.
Not speaking from experience and I'm way to afraid of karma coming back on me if I was to do something like that. I get you drift though
Old 05-01-2012, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
I don't get it, why you keep defending them ? because you also bought a SC pulley ??? Good luck with that product in your car ! Still waiting for your installation and show some real resource with dyno. Talk is CHEAP just DO it ! show us the result from your own car
I'm not defending anyone - this is a grown up world.

I do plan on installing the pulley but have some pending items I want to get taken care of first...
and no, i'm not getting any kickbacks, just using the group-buy like everyone else has been doing.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by urbamworm
This thread is such a joke, and Turdster you may be in the same cateory for believing this crap and running with it.

He posted a video showing his odometer on January 18th showing 96,424 miles. This was in the thread he made on Sunday January 15th showing his dyno/drag info and said he got the pulley installed "last week." I don't want to make to much of an assumption but it would make sense that he meant that week proceeding the Sunday as in "last week" which is a day between the 9th-13th. So he claims he had 88,xxx miles when he installed it, so using the first day of the week (the 9th) to give the largest time frame, he put 8,000 miles on his car in 9 days, again this is being generous and giving the largest time frame.

I guess he made those two trips to California he speaks of both in that time frame of 9 days, but what he really meant was he went to Cali and back 3 times lmao.

As you can see this is a load of bull ****. Hell even if his "last week" he spoke of was the prior monday 2 weeks from when he made the comment meaning January 2nd to give him an even larger time frame which we all know isn't correct, that still gives him only 16 days that he supposibly put 8,000 miles on his car. Now can you open up your eyes and see this so much bull **** the stuff is about to come out of my laptop screen!

Why must people lie? That has to be one of my biggest pet peeves is when things are blatantly obvious to be untrue.
Good investigation
Old 05-01-2012, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
I'm not defending anyone - this is a grown up world.

I do plan on installing the pulley but have some pending items I want to get taken care of first...
and no, i'm not getting any kickbacks, just using the group-buy like everyone else has been doing.
from an outside view, it sure does. You defend every post for them. This Turd is leaving a bad taste in my mouth
Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
Originally Posted by Iknownothing
from an outside view, it sure does. You defend every post for them. Makes me want to leave a salty taste in Turds mouth

Fixed it for ya

Last edited by kustom2k1; 05-01-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Originally Posted by kustom2k1
Fixed it for ya
LOL nice! thnks
Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
LOL you guys keep things interesting that's for sure

Honestly - I feel bad for Craig and Steve (and countless others who've had failures). It sounds like nobody has had crank pulleys fail before, like many of you have said - maybe I'm just too new to know

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The S/C Pulley Thread to end all Pulley Threads