W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using the headlamp washer system to reduce IATs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Using the headlamp washer system to reduce IATs?

First off, I'm not technically-minded so read what follows with this in mind.

While discussing the trunk tank option with my local tuner, he proposed an alternative (or, depending on your requirements, an ancillary) set up. In my layman's understanding, it is this:

Use the headlamp washer system to drive the discharge of water/mist onto both the heat exchanger (4 injectors) and the radiator (2 injectors) via 6 injectors mounted on a rail which is to be installed in front of the heat exchanger. Clearly, the headlamp washer system could no longer be used for its intended purpose, but that's certainly not an issue for me. I've not used it once in the 6 years I've owned the car. Given the climate here, it's surplus to requirements.

To elaborate, there are two reservoirs that are fed via the same inlet. The bigger one services the windscreen washer system and the other, the headlamp washer system. Collectively they hold 7 liters of water. It is suggested that their functionality be switched so that the bigger one feed the 6 injectors installed to help reduce IATs.

Am I making any sense?

To illustrate his point, my tuner then did 3 consecutive runs with my car on his hub dyno. On the first run, it made 348wkw, on the 2nd run (after a minute's break), it made 321wkw and on the 3rd run (again after a minute's break) it made 354wkw. The only variable between the second and third runs was that while the 3rd run was underway, I positioned myself in front of the car and sprayed water onto the heat exchanger. Although IATs weren't measured the variance from one dyno run to the next tells a story of its own.

What say all you smart fellas out there???
Old 04-28-2012, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
I think he is on the right track but believe a much more efficient set up would be to spray pre throttle and iat sensor to cool the intake charge directly.

No mess, less fluid usage and will work much better.

You can use washer fluid from the existing tank (and not use functionality) by installing a simple water injection system that use a boost sensor to trigger the spray.

Search here, and on the other planet...tons info out there.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
I dont think the system is under enough pressure to produce any positive results spraying the exchanger.

Also, say youre moving at 60 mph, that will turn to a fine mist
Old 04-28-2012, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
Has any one used a methanol/water injection set up on these cars yet? I use one on my DSM and can get away with 35 psi on 92 octane. Snow makes great kits.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
they actually make sprayers for intercoolers - so yes it totally makes sense, just don't do it at the track - water = bad surface!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Yeah, thanks for the feedback. I'll discuss your suggestions and comments with my tuner. Either way, I'm gonna do this. It's a cost-efficient mod (as the infrastructure's in place) which doesn't appear to have any drawbacks. I'll monitor IATS before and after and post the results.