Sponsored by:

supercharger belt came off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
supercharger belt came off

Well, the thread title is fairly self explanatory but to detail it a bit more, the belt slipped one tooth/rib so instead of the whole belt coming off, it sliced off a small width of the belt. Prior to this I noticed that there was a very small wobble in the crank pulley and had it inspected by a MB mechanic and they said to expect some wobble. So, is it possible that perhaps my tensioner pulley needs to be replaced? I'm basically asking for insight on what could have caused this as I'm aware of other members having this issue but for others the entire belt comes off. The belt also had maybe 1000 miles on it and the pulley is a EC 172mm.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
That's not good, Get your car into service asap to check for run-out in the pulley etc.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:00 PM

2003 E55 AMG
I took a video of the pulley and I'm not sure if it is because of the framerate or resolution of the screen/video camera, but in the video you cannot see any wobble. In person though there is some movement.

I'll admit that I'm a bit frustrated with this e55 platform. I had no issues building my 1000 hp evo and now, with this I can't even find success in a simple pulley.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
Originally Posted by BenJ
I took a video of the pulley and I'm not sure if it is because of the framerate or resolution of the screen/video camera, but in the video you cannot see any wobble. In person though there is some movement.

I'll admit that I'm a bit frustrated with this e55 platform. I had no issues building my 1000 hp evo and now, with this I can't even find success in a simple pulley.
Take your car to Benzworks, have Serge look it over for you. Hes the only one I trust with my car.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BenJ

Info on your evo??!! have a Foward facing HTA kit on mine makes 628 awhp stock block Sorry to steer off subject. Don't feel frustrated this platform is solid trust me!!
Old 05-04-2012, 06:23 PM

2003 E55 AMG
I'm going to give it a bit longer before I move on. Evo had a custom long rod 2.0, FF hta 3794, CDI, the whole 9 yards.