W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 06-15-2015, 07:50 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

How much resistance is present in OEM spark plug wires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
How much resistance is present in OEM spark plug wires?

The reason i ask is im looking at plugs and wires here shortly so out of curiosity I pulled some spark plug wires, and was surprised to see over 1K ohms resistance. Is this right or are my wires ancient and no longer providing an easy path for electricity?
Old 06-07-2012, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
I think it is stamped on the metal portion of the plug wire? (if my memory is working correctly)
For some reason 2k Ohm rings a bell-- maybe thats older cars tho.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Pm soakempire he has done some extensive testing on oem and aftermarket wires
Old 06-07-2012, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Shifter
I think it is stamped on the metal portion of the plug wire? (if my memory is working correctly)
For some reason 2k Ohm rings a bell-- maybe thats older cars tho.
Yea some were right around 2Kohms, others less, other way more (4-5Kohms...???) seems the highest resistance is coming from the wires closest to the driver.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
The resistance of a spark plug wire or any wire for that matter, is dependant on 3 variables. One is the resistivity of the wire (different metals will have different resistances depending on their electron configuration in their outer shell), one is the length of the wire being measured, and one is the cross section or area of the wire.

Resistance = Resistivity of wire material x(Length/cross sectional area).

Given the higher resistance from the drivers side wires, I would conclude they are simply longer than the oassenger side wires.

Edit* forgot to mention that the temperature of the wire will also affect the resistance. Typically with certain exceptions, as a metal becomes hotter, the resistance will increase. This can be somewhat misleading though as far as measuring goes, since the metal will also expand at higher temps, increasing the area of the wire and counteracting the effects of the heat.

Last edited by BenJ; 06-08-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Originally Posted by BenJ
The resistance of a spark plug wire or any wire for that matter, is dependant on 3 variables. One is the resistivity of the wire (different metals will have different resistances depending on their electron configuration in their outer shell), one is the length of the wire being measured, and one is the cross section or area of the wire.

Resistance = Resistivity of wire material x(Length/cross sectional area).

Given the higher resistance from the drivers side wires, I would conclude they are simply longer than the oassenger side wires.

Edit* forgot to mention that the temperature of the wire will also affect the resistance. Typically with certain exceptions, as a metal becomes hotter, the resistance will increase. This can be somewhat misleading though as far as measuring goes, since the metal will also expand at higher temps, increasing the area of the wire and counteracting the effects of the heat.
Yes, but the wires have a specification....What is the acceptable range for the factory wires ?