W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got hit and run by some dumb kid tonight. How can I get the most out of this???

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55, 911 turbo, 911sc, RX330
Originally Posted by BBBSS
I have a message on the officers voicemail explaining things and asking him to call me. I'm guessing it may be too late, but I will find out for sure. He was effectively driving uninsured and provided false proof of insurance. Hoping they can stick him on that at least. I really cant see pinning a DUI at this point as the kids lawyer would be all wtf and no tests were done that night.

I'll be sure to mention to the judge what's going on in a couple weeks when he has court for the hit and run. I plan to attend all his court dates since my work schedule is fairly flexible and I want to make sure he gets pinned with everything possible at this point.
I'm pretty sure DUI is definitely out. Maybe he can add reckless driving or whatever would be covered.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Does your state have SR22? He may have to get state required insurance and pay restitution. I don't get why his insurance is denying it? What if he killed someone, how would they deny the claim? What if the car was stolen and hit you? Why wouldn't his insurance not pay out? If they have a insurance policy, and one of their covered policy hits another vehicle, it should be covered.

A DUI is out of the question, bc you can't do a bac test two weeks later? You might be able to claim hit and run

Do you have third party/uninsured motorist coverage? Situations like this are exactly why you need a policy like this. Talk to the cop and see if you can get the state to make him pay restitution. In Florida SR22 is mandatory for underinsured drivers who hit someone.Those who are forced to get it have to have continuous coverage for up to five years whether they drive a car or not. The monies collected from SR22 go to paying back victims of the accident

I would also up my small claims to the max value where you are at

For a little more money you can hire a independent insurance arbitrator to fight on your behalf to get farmers to pay out
Old 07-14-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Wow....
Old 07-14-2012, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
I am not condoling violence but long long ago I beat the living crap out of a DUI SOB for doing just that and I do not regret it one bit. Guarantee my car was fixed before he fully healed if ever he did.

DUI deserves a quick knock to the ********* with a sledge hammer and 10 years in jail. Bottom line.

Oh, sorry to hear about the damage. Nice job hunting the ******* down.

Last edited by pearlpower; 07-14-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by moosejaw
That kid is so lucky he did not get a DUI.
I cant believe he got let off
That would not happen in FLA.
His *** would be in bond court for that stunt. He could have hurt someone
Old 07-14-2012, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by pearlpower
I am not condoling violence but long long ago I beat the living crap out of a DUI SOB for doing just that and I do not regret it one bit. Guarantee my car was fixed before he fully healed if ever he did.

DUI deserves a quick knock to the ********* with a sledge hammer and 10 years in jail. Bottom line.

Oh, sorry to hear about the damage. Nice job hunting the ******* down.
That's stupid. Why risk getting yourself thrown in jail over losing your temper? Surely, he/police would have filed charges against you if you beat him as badly as you claim.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Originally Posted by dcjwlee
That's stupid. Why risk getting yourself thrown in jail over losing your temper? Surely, he/police would have filed charges against you if you beat him as badly as you claim.

I agree, not the smartest thing I have done and not recommended , but I was young, long before obligations, but it SURE DID FEEL GOOD! And if you gave it some thought, what was the low life POS going to do about it? Go to the cops and tell them he was DUI when he rear ended someone? LOL. No, but I'm sure he did go to the dentist. Don't like it, don't DUI!

Last edited by pearlpower; 07-15-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:38 AM

Bleeding heart liberal?

Okay.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 (FST N OC)
I have a message on the officers voicemail explaining things and asking him to call me. I'm guessing it may be too late, but I will find out for sure. He was effectively driving uninsured and provided false proof of insurance. Hoping they can stick him on that at least. I really cant see pinning a DUI at this point as the kids lawyer would be all wtf and no tests were done that night.

I'll be sure to mention to the judge what's going on in a couple weeks when he has court for the hit and run. I plan to attend all his court dates since my work schedule is fairly flexible and I want to make sure he gets pinned with everything possible at this point.
I think its time to seek counsel brotha! Go after him/family for what is owed and maybe more!
Old 07-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB; 55KCL AMG, SL550 SLS AMG G500 Cabrio 280SL ML350 CLS550 ML500 E55 AMG CL500 S600 SLK32 AMG

Scum like this should be locked away. You can't have heart with people who have no brains
Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1M, F550M, F550B, F40, S600, 365GTC, DBSx2, etc.
Is he a minor? If the truck is insured, even if he is not on the policy, the insurance company is liable. Further, they will likely have an umbrella policy above and beyond all of this.

Time to release the hounds. Get counsel, pursue with the officer, have him speak with your insurance, pursue through them, go through civil courts (small claims - why not more punitive?), hire an independent adjuster, etc.

By the way, you do not have to take the car to the shop Allstate recommends. You can take it directly to the shop you want to do the work. It's unnecessary to do both.

Man, what a pain. Sucks bro. Kick some ***.

--Dan
Old 07-17-2012, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
I agree with bobafett
Somewhere buried in that policy covers you.
They insure the vehicle. I can see denying the claim against damages against the driver's vehicles, but you as a innocent bystander should be covered. I bet they are hoping you will tuck your tail between your legs and waddle away.

Youre going to have play hardball on this.
Insurance sucks. Time to strap on the ***** protector
Old 07-17-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
996tt
Originally Posted by zneB-sedecreM
I too would have ignored the dumb police officer you talked to that told you not to chase him. If he/she was in the same position, regardless cop or not, they would have done the same thing. Your E55 doesn't seem to be worked on. It looks stock, visually. My car is custom at every angle, so if that had happened to me I'd be way more pissed as things can't just be replaced. Everything would have to be re-done. At lease no one was hurt. That kid should sober the **** up, or he's going to end up killing someone and living in jail.
Besides being gangster, why do you always attempt to find a way of enlightening this forum of how custom your car is, in nearly every post, yet you have never posted an actual picture of it.

To the OP unlucky but well done for tracking him down.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by iAMGod
Besides being gangster, why do you always attempt to find a way of enlightening this forum of how custom your car is, in nearly every post, yet you have never posted an actual picture of it.

and boom goes the dynamite
Old 07-17-2012, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
End of the day if the guy doesnt have insurance or isnt willing to pay for the damages, your own insurance will cover your damages as a no fault and usually no increase in premium. Happened to my wife on a new car with only 3,000 miles on it. Guy slid into her under rainy conditions while she was at a red light and he took off. She chased after him and he spun out in the median but continued and lost her.

Wrote down the tags, make/model/color of the car and reported to local sheriffs as hit/run. Sheriffs came to the scene and saw the damage to her car. Got the info and went to the registered person's house. Get this, the guy said he wasnt driving that answered the door and could have been a roommate or someone else. They asked my wife did you see who drove the car, she said male. Asked to be more specific, race/color but she couldnt figure out if the guy was hispanic or white.... So no charges brought against the guy, even though the sheriffs knew it was him since he was the only one home and car was still warm. My insurance ended up paying for the damages and was no fault. Sheriff also provided a report showing what happneed but couldnt go further to prosecute. What bs that was!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by novae500
End of the day if the guy doesnt have insurance or isnt willing to pay for the damages, your own insurance will cover your damages as a no fault and usually no increase in premium. Happened to my wife on a new car with only 3,000 miles on it.
Not so fast....
Your insurance premiums WILL increase if you dont have a underinsured motorist policy. That's probably what you have on your policy.

You are playing with fire if you carry the minimum $10K/20K limits most states have as a requirement.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211
Yes believe VA requires that, i have $100/$300/$100 on each of the cars.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Smart man
Im single and my kid is grown up
but if I was hauling around a bunch of curtain crawlers like my good buddies RBJ and Hulk, i would be definitely sporting a policy similar to above.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211
Agree, but what sucks is that since my wife couldnt identify the race of the male, and got all of the other info, couldnt go after hit/run....such bs red tape. Thats why i sort of change my driving habits, not avoid or steer away from someone that cuts in front of me/off, but tbone them if they cut in front of me! Proof for the police when they show up to the scene that this guy cut me off. ( all kidding aside, i would probably avoid tbonding someone since the high likelihood of them/me getting injured)
Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Agree, but what sucks is that since my wife couldnt identify the race of the male, and got all of the other info, couldnt go after hit/run....such bs red tape. Thats why i sort of change my driving habits, not avoid or steer away from someone that cuts in front of me/off, but tbone them if they cut in front of me! Proof for the police when they show up to the scene that this guy cut me off. ( all kidding aside, i would probably avoid tbonding someone since the high likelihood of them/me getting injured)
I dont think race had anything to do with it
In your situation, there was doubt (regardless of race) and its very hard to prove that incident happened as your wife couldnt say for certain who it was. As you know the term "without a shadow of doubt" gives a case it's strength. You would need witnesses or corroborating testimony.

In any event, your situation could happen to any of us. Someone could takeoff and your stuck with the tab.

Last edited by moosejaw; 07-17-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
Happened to my wife on a new car with only 3,000 miles on it. Guy slid into her car under rainy conditions while she was at a red light and he took off. She chased after him and he spun out in the median but continued and lost her.
Fixed it for ya'

To the OP, 15 years ago my car was hit head on by a driver who crossed the double lines. He claimed to be avoiding a limo that had cut him off, but I couldn't discredit that since it was dark and my airbag completely blinded me for a minute. My insurance ended up paying for my damages minus my deductible. 13 years later I received a letter from an attorney saying he was working on the case and was going after the other driver in order to repay my insurer. He said that I could get my deducitble back if they won with my assistance. I laughed, then asked about statutes of limitation, and then provided info only to find out a few months later that the case was dropped. Moral of the story: If you don't sue the kid or his insurance now, you might get something back in 13 years for the deductible or nothing at all.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB; 55KCL AMG, SL550 SLS AMG G500 Cabrio 280SL ML350 CLS550 ML500 E55 AMG CL500 S600 SLK32 AMG
Originally Posted by iAMGod

I don't want to post pics right now. I'm putting myself in the OPs position if it were ME and MY car. I bought my car entriely stock, I'm stating the current way my car is. The OP is somewhat lucky that he didn't have many visual mods that could've gotten mangled. Everything can be replaced and found easily. He doesnt have to have stuff custom re-made.
I'm sure all the guys on here with over 10K in mods would HATE to get into an accident, even more so than when it was stock. That's all I'm trying to say with my post. You feel more connected to your car when you make it your own
Old 07-17-2012, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not so fast....
Your insurance premiums WILL increase if you dont have a underinsured motorist policy. That's probably what you have on your policy.

You are playing with fire if you carry the minimum $10K/20K limits most states have as a requirement.
Correct on both counts. For the run of the mill stuff, I run a 500/1M/500 policy. You can make insurance as complicated as you want do, but generally a large basic policy with comprehensive coverage combined with some kind of umbrella setup will be good. Then if the cars have special purpose or value above, you can setup individual policies in addition on a per-vehicle basis.

If you want to add another layer of protection, consider having the vehicles owned by corporations and then creating insurance policies appropriate to those situations. Keep daily / regular cars in one company, then form individual companies for each "special" car. Or setup a Series LLC if you're starting fresh, with a child company per vehicle.

At this point - I would highly recommend you stop all current proceedings, get counsel and an independent adjuster, then start moving forward under their advice. The adjuster will be useful because he'll give you insights and get the insurance to bend over (assuming he's well-recognized / of repute), without the hourly fees or the litigiousness of the attorney. I would use the attorney as backup, frankly.

You've basically exhausted the amount of work you should do solo at this point. Not only is it now a waste of your time and efforts, but you need to introduce outside advice. Plus, it's no longer worth the hassle. Delegate accordingly.

--Dan
Old 07-17-2012, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Does your state have SR22? He may have to get state required insurance and pay restitution. I don't get why his insurance is denying it? What if he killed someone, how would they deny the claim? What if the car was stolen and hit you? Why wouldn't his insurance not pay out? If they have a insurance policy, and one of their covered policy hits another vehicle, it should be covered.

A DUI is out of the question, bc you can't do a bac test two weeks later? You might be able to claim hit and run

Do you have third party/uninsured motorist coverage? Situations like this are exactly why you need a policy like this. Talk to the cop and see if you can get the state to make him pay restitution. In Florida SR22 is mandatory for underinsured drivers who hit someone.Those who are forced to get it have to have continuous coverage for up to five years whether they drive a car or not. The monies collected from SR22 go to paying back victims of the accident

I would also up my small claims to the max value where you are at

For a little more money you can hire a independent insurance arbitrator to fight on your behalf to get farmers to pay out

THIS! Spot on.

--Dan
Old 07-17-2012, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good man. Appropriate coverage.

--Dan

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: I got hit and run by some dumb kid tonight. How can I get the most out of this???