How IAT sensor position affecting temp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
How IAT sensor position affecting temp

I have changed the position of the IAT sensor on my new built engine from Y pipe to the surge tank, i noticed that the IAT still increasing after i take out my feet from the throttle when going wot like 2-3 seconds(from 140/145F to 160/165F) then start dropping, did anyone know why? anyone who changed the position of the sensor noticed similar thing?
and does it affect the temp at wot (lower or higher IAT)?

Last edited by Robert AMG; 09-09-2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
The only thing I can think of is the surge tanks are retaining heat....
Old 07-01-2012, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, CTS-V Wagon, Duc 1098R
Are you getting direct measurements. If not that is probably the time constant of the OBD updating especially if you are taking more than 4 measurements at a time. Can you post the actual data?
Old 07-01-2012, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cls63 & C32
Originally Posted by adianaty
Are you getting direct measurements. If not that is probably the time constant of the OBD updating especially if you are taking more than 4 measurements at a time. Can you post the actual data?
No, i am using the torque app with only 2 measurements, and i use it before many times without this issue.
maybe because the sensor is now up top the cylinder and valves.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:14 PM

Where exactly did you put it since the sensor is directional an needs some air velocity to work fast. Is it in the surge tank tube or in the surge tank plenum box.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cls63 & C32
I am re-posting cause those AIT are making me nerves when i take my foot from the throttle, it is increasing my starting AIT runs, i attached a pic where the AIT sensor is (driver side surge tank) and a video on the dyno where you can see how the AIT rise when i take off my foot. i need to solve this issue.

How IAT sensor position affecting temp-imag0285.jpg
http://youtu.be/QgzrK1nUgkg
Old 09-09-2012, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
This is understandable since you changed the location of the sensor. Once you take your foot off the throttle there will be very little air flowing over the sensor and the tanks are acting as a giant heat sink, thus you will see your IATs increase for a bit.

I would either not worry about it or put the sensor back in the factory location.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
The factory location is long gone, along with the lower intercooler. I see the airflow sensor and the AIT both in side of plenum. How does the car run?

If it runs good, then I would leave it where it is. There really is not any better place after the intercooler to place it, and you dont want to position it before.

Do you still have the bypass under SC? I assume you gutted the stock intercooler, or fabricated a new one correct.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:49 AM

It looks like you picked a spot that was convenient but the worst for flow. The sensor is directional and you have it rotated 90 degrees off and in a dead spot in the intake. Where its positioned now, the clips should be pointing side to side not top to bottom. For the sensor to work properly now, you need flow to occur along the same line as the AMG name on the surge tank when in fact its mostly flowing across it. Looks like it needs to be placed on the back of the surge tank with clips top to bottom or on top of the tank with the clips parallel to the amg name. The stuff you are seeing is cam overlap and regurg in the tank under vacuum at high speeds. It is not heat sinking since the physics would not let the temps to change that fast.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
What others said, heatsoak and location. I'm surprised your timing does not get pulled even further. Car sounds good though. What was ambient during the dyno?
Old 09-09-2012, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cls63 & C32
thanks guys for all replies, good knowlegde.

Originally Posted by cij911
This is understandable since you changed the location of the sensor. Once you take your foot off the throttle there will be very little air flowing over the sensor and the tanks are acting as a giant heat sink, thus you will see your IATs increase for a bit.

I would either not worry about it or put the sensor back in the factory location.
there is no place in the original location and i want to install a water weth kit with dual nozzles, one on each pipe before the surge tank so i need the AIT sensor after the nozzles. and i can't leave it, it is making my AIT higher.

Originally Posted by Bramage
The factory location is long gone, along with the lower intercooler. I see the airflow sensor and the AIT both in side of plenum. How does the car run?

If it runs good, then I would leave it where it is. There really is not any better place after the intercooler to place it, and you dont want to position it before.

Do you still have the bypass under SC? I assume you gutted the stock intercooler, or fabricated a new one correct.
the car run good, no by pass, i cutted and welded the C32 intercooler to let it fit under the V8 SC and in the small location i have at the rear.

It looks like you picked a spot that was convenient but the worst for flow. The sensor is directional and you have it rotated 90 degrees off and in a dead spot in the intake. Where its positioned now, the clips should be pointing side to side not top to bottom. For the sensor to work properly now, you need flow to occur along the same line as the AMG name on the surge tank when in fact its mostly flowing across it. Looks like it needs to be placed on the back of the surge tank with clips top to bottom or on top of the tank with the clips parallel to the amg name. The stuff you are seeing is cam overlap and regurg in the tank under vacuum at high speeds. It is not heat sinking since the physics would not let the temps to change that fast.
i'll try tomorrow to change the direction of the sensor(clips), if nothing changed i'll change the position of the sensor like you mentioned, but what i am 100% with you is the increasing in ait is cam overlap and regurg under vacuum and if i want to solve this i'll have to put the sensor not above the runners so it will not be direct to flow so i am confused!

Originally Posted by pearlpower
What others said, heatsoak and location. I'm surprised your timing does not get pulled even further. Car sounds good though. What was ambient during the dyno?
ambient was like 88-90*F. the timing will not get pulled more cause when WOT the AIT went from 120 to 150F not more, but when vacuum the ait went to 180F.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:17 PM

One option for you to consider is putting the meth jets right after the supercharger but way before your new intercoolers. This will help with mixing and measuring your IAT. It's probably going to be much more effective as well since I think you will have a hard time getting even distribution injecting them into the surge tanks. Even putting them into the feed tubes as far back as possible will be good since you will easily flash the meth for sure.

If I'm not mistaken, Bramage tried this with a hollowed out intercooler an got good results.

Just a thought...
Old 09-10-2012, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cls63 & C32
Water meth kit installation:
SC, IC then nozzles in the feed pipes before surge tanks and AIT sensor in the surge tank, like that the air will be cooled with IC after then more cooled with meth before entering surge tank, then AIT measuring.

returning to the main post i changed the direction of the clips nothing changed, so now i'll have to change the location of the sensor but i am confused about the place!!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cls63 & C32
The stuff you are seeing is cam overlap and regurg in the tank under vacuum at high speeds. It is not heat sinking since the physics would not let the temps to change that fast.
If i add a blow off valve in each surge tank do it solve the problem?
i am now with the V8 SC on the 3.72l V6 engine without the bypass.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Robert AMG
If i add a blow off valve in each surge tank do it solve the problem?
i am now with the V8 SC on the 3.72l V6 engine without the bypass.
I think you should be able to tell from your logs if you need it. Specifically if there is still pressure on the MAP sensor when you are seeing the heating that could be a sign but I am not sure you would see it.

The other question/thought I had was where do you have the crank case recirc? I am wondering if the heat is coming from that since it is happening once the throttle is shut and I am guessing you have it plumbed into the surge tank. You might want to consider testing it again with it venting to atmosphere and the surge tank plugged since it could be a source for this heat as well.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cls63 & C32
I think you should be able to tell from your logs if you need it. Specifically if there is still pressure on the MAP sensor when you are seeing the heating that could be a sign but I am not sure you would see it.

The other question/thought I had was where do you have the crank case recirc? I am wondering if the heat is coming from that since it is happening once the throttle is shut and I am guessing you have it plumbed into the surge tank. You might want to consider testing it again with it venting to atmosphere and the surge tank plugged since it could be a source for this heat as well.
there is no pressure on the map after releasing thottle, it's vacuum i thought the blow off valve work only when vacuum, i am not expert with turbo's.
what do you mean by crank case recirc? is it the valve cover vent pipe that is connected to the TB, if it is i plumbed it before the SC after the TB.