Moving to....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Lord help us.....

Can't wait until your introduction to Dulles Toll Road, 495, and RT 66 traffic. That AMG will be traded for a Chevy Volt in 2 weeks.

Welcome to the DMV where you have to shave twice on your daily commute and thunderstorms just shut this place down for a week.
That's the truth!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
Originally Posted by djrabbi
I move Saturday so doubtful lol. Maybe later on?
It will be too late then...
Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Having just left NJ a few months ago I have to say I miss it sometimes. That and I really loved where I lived. Both Montclair and Lambertville were awesome towns, the rest of Jersey not so much.

But the weather out here oh my god. And all the women are fit, AND I can CCW.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by djrabbi
Imma keep my NJ plates though, does that matter? lol

Mine is right under my inspection sticker.
Some states will fine you if you don't change your plates over within a certain period of time. If I remember right, the wonderful state of California says you have 30 days to get CA plates or pay up. My wife had to work in Mississippi for about 4 months and within a week, she got a letter from the state telling her to get MS plates or pay the fine. It seems all of the states are looking to pull revenue anyway they can now days. I sometimes think the state police should trade their guns in for CC scanners that would fit in their holsters.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by cal1
Some states will fine you if you don't change your plates over within a certain period of time. If I remember right, the wonderful state of California says you have 30 days to get CA plates or pay up. My wife had to work in Mississippi for about 4 months and within a week, she got a letter from the state telling her to get MS plates or pay the fine. It seems all of the states are looking to pull revenue anyway they can now days. I sometimes think the state police should trade their guns in for CC scanners that would fit in their holsters.
As long as you are not a permanent resident, you dont have to switch tags. Ive done work in mississippi before without any problem. I'm not earning income from a Mississppi based company and I'm not subject to their state taxes either.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by moosejaw
As long as you are not a permanent resident, you dont have to switch tags. Ive done work in mississippi before without any problem. I'm not earning income from a Mississppi based company and I'm not subject to their state taxes either.
before I could even look into the issue, my impulsive wife got MS tags. It really wasn't that much. I was pissed when I saw the letter she got from the Jackson PD. They made it sound like she was a criminal and would be arrested. That would have been enough for me to fight them tooth and nail over the temporary resident issue.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I have lived all over the south and the Virginia accent is just the wildest.

Have never lived there (just met people) but if it's like other places in the south, brush up on your North VS South civil war trivia.

As a New Yorker coming down, I don't know how many times I had to say, " My great grandparents immigrated through Ellis Island. We had nothing to do with the friggin Civil War"

Loved the southern people and miss um dearly. Once they get to know you, they would give a kidney for ya.

Just to clarify...Virginia is not south by any means, lol. It's east coast wanna be south...just saying...
Old 07-04-2012, 03:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E63, E55(sold), C32 (sold), '65 Skylark GS 445 convertible, '12 ML350
Originally Posted by pimpjuice
Just to clarify...Virginia is not south by any means, lol. It's east coast wanna be south...just saying...
NOVA...is not southern.

Try rollin' in Tidewater (King William/King & Queen) and say it's not.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63 AMG, 1991 NSX, 2007 Corvette
Good Luck on your move. NJ really isn't a bad State. Just depends where you were residing. I lived in Princeton for a number a years and enjoyed it.
Close to the Jersey Shore, not too bad of a ride into Manhattan and running down to Atlantic City.
But keep an eye out for the cops in VA. I grew up in Maryland and right now with the cities doing their most to grab revenue on moving violations, you would be a perfect target. VA doesn't play, I know that from experience. But VA is a great place to live so enjoy.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Just dont live in Herndon, they are going to get you for any visual mod that you do pretty much. Same thing for Fairfax. Loudoun Sheriffs, really dont look for smoke/cleared signals, or tint at all. But Reston is a good place to work and go to bars after work.

Some apt/townhouse complexes, during the day the county drives around and has those cameras mounted that read plates and after a few days you will get a citation to either change tags or write to let them know why your vehicle is parked for a long duration of time.