W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What was your first track experience like?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
What was your first track experience like?

I was just curious what everyone’s first track experience was like. If it was anything like mine, it was crazy fun.

A friend of mine that had a built Z28 convinced me that I should run my SL at the drag strip after I had an RT pulley and tune done. He takes me to Muncie dragway in central Indiana, literally in the middle of the corn fields. I am immediately intimidated by all of the super loud cars. All American Iron, not even a ricer to be seen. I figured surely if they are that loud, they must be fast. He gets me through Tech and lined up in the staging lanes and then leaves for the grandstand. He tells me later that as soon as people saw the SL, they started talking trash about it. What was that guy thinking trying to race a Mercedes Benz?

After what seemed an eternity, I find myself next in line and right next to a very noisy late model GTO. I get waived up. I drove around the water like my buddy said and got ready to spin the tires to throw off debris. I goose the throttle and nothing happens. I try again, still nothing. Apparently, the crowd is going crazy especially after the GTO with drags did a perfect burnout. I finally notice I left ESP on. In my embarrassment, I abandon the slight burn off and proceed to stage. I promptly over stage much to the delight of the crowd. A very patient guy directs me backwards and up again to stage. To add to the frenzy, the announcer says “gee, we have a Mercedes, I wonder if MB roadside service will come to the track? At this point my friend in the crowd is taking massive shiat, but he keeps saying the SL will win.

The tree drops and I am non-responsive. The deafening sound of the GTO wakes me up and I dial on the power. He is a car length in front of me before I even hit the throttle. My heavy foot breaks the tires loose and he gains another length or two, the crowd loves it. My T1Rs begin to hook and I start dialing him in. I get that rare chirp as the tranny grabs second and I am gone. When the smoke clears, the GTO runs a low 13. Me? A 12.2. I’m not telling my RT. The tone of the crowd changes dramatically. My friend tells me one person said “ well of course the Mercedes won, it probably cost almost 50 thousand.” I actually know the owner of the track. He told me later that the people in the tower said something must be wrong with their timing equipment because there is no F-ing way that Mercedes just ran a 12.2.

The amazing thing was, the guys that were running their cars were totally cool. A bunch of them wanted to check out the engine and were surprised to find out what a Kompressor was. It turned out to be a great night.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
I mostly remember the first time feeling that third gear warp-speed floaty/dizziness. Oh yea, there were several really loud american cars there that were all bark with no bite.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by cahiil55k
I mostly remember the first time feeling that third gear warp-speed floaty/dizziness. Oh yea, there were several really loud american cars there that were all bark with no bite.
i hear ya on that. I forgot to let off at the end and then jumped on the brembos. As I came to a stop, I noticed tracks through the corn field of other people who could not stop.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E63. 07 STi limited #606/800
Very cool. My next step is to get onto an actual lap racetrack.

I remember my first time at the track with the E63. I was in Modesto at the time and ended up going to Sacramento for a drag night for the E55 guys, at least I wouldn't be the only Mercedes there.

These guys were pros, one of them even said "This is my backyard" literally when I asked him how far they drove out from. The guy lived right at the track. So these guys knew what they were doing, and I remember almost all the E55's running 11's with drag radials and stock.

I ran a 12.735 on Sac with crappy worn PS2 tires. And I drove the car 70 miles to and from the track.

I was a bit embarassed and I rolled up to where the e55 guys where hanging and chatting. They said I shouldn't worry because I was on street tires, and crappy ones at that, and that the E63 was meant more for track use, not drag strip. They even showed me how to put my car in dyno mode, which I wasn't comfortable running at the time, but came in really handy the other times I went to the track. I still spin the crap out of first and parts of 2nd. The e63 has a vicious first gear, and I either shift too early, or hit rev limiter due to spinning too much, which is like hitting a brick wall then getting rear ended again going through the brick wall lol.

And that's all I got to say about that.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Very nice story! I remember my first time like it was yesterday. I was completely stock back then.

People always talk sh*t about a benz at the track. Untill it puts a hurtin on some poor soul in his muscle car. Then they come running to see what's in that thing. Hell, I still get people laughing at my car (now fully modded), but when they hear my burn out, they get quiet.

It's all quite an experience. And it gets very addicting. I have'nt stopped yet and don't plan to.

This was one of my first track runs. Some one else posted this video. I found it on youtube the next day.

Congrats and keep it up!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
I don't understand why people don't respect AMGs. i have done some street stuff in Mexico of course and people are like Dude are you serious with the MB. they learn quick after the AMG beat down though.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you to Hate
Originally Posted by cal1
I don't understand why people don't respect AMGs. i have done some street stuff in Mexico of course and people are like Dude are you serious with the MB. they learn quick after the AMG beat down though.
oh yah
Old 07-04-2012, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
I wish I could track my car so bad.. Legal fun, I just know I would end up breaking something and looking like an idiot with my luck. Just reading that first story made my heart race...
Old 07-04-2012, 03:51 AM

'12 E63, E55(sold), C32 (sold), '65 Skylark GS 445 convertible, '12 ML350
Awesome.

I actually made a video about the experience but youtube wouldn't allow it because of the music. So it's on facebook and I just made it public:

Click the link below and hopefully it works!

Pure comedy and awesome at the same time!

Last edited by pullejo; 07-04-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Very cool vid. It is amazing how similar the first experiences are. As you mentioned too, most everyone at the track are really cool and helpful. After all, we all love fast cars. After my first run, a number of guys were helping me with my launch. They wanted to see my car go sub 12 and knew it was all in the 60'. I got close, but never under 12 that night. It was hot and humid.

Something I forgot to include in the original post. When I went through tech, they asked me if I new how fast my car was. I did not. They then told me I did not need a helmet. My friend was giggling about that and i did not know why. When I pulled up to the time shack after my first run, they told me I have to wear a helmet or go home. Luckily I had one. As most people know, NHRA rules state that cars faster than 13.99 must wear a helmet. I guess the tech guys thought i would run 14 +.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Nothing short of pure addiction and the 55 was the car that made it so fun.

Nothing quite like blowing the doors off a vette with a wicked sounding grocery getter

Due to my altitude I've lost a lot of interest in the 1320 so the "other" track has taken my full interests. Still just as addictive and the high last that much longer.

I would encourage all you guys to get to your local circuit and bang around once or twice in your land yachts
Old 07-04-2012, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
First track experience, I did a burnout in reverse

Ended up doing about a 13.5 @107 or something and that let me to immediately installing a new IC pump..
Old 07-04-2012, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you to Hate
Originally Posted by tgoss
Nothing short of pure addiction and the 55 was the car that made it so fun.

Nothing quite like blowing the doors off a vette with a wicked sounding grocery getter

Due to my altitude I've lost a lot of interest in the 1320 so the "other" track has taken my full interests. Still just as addictive and the high last that much longer.

I would encourage all you guys to get to your local circuit and bang around once or twice in your land yachts
I will be joining the Palm Beach Driving club. Gotta get around the road course a few times. Can't wait!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 crossfire w/SL55 drivetrain installed by Rudy Compart Intake/Needswings best et-10.76 @ 129
I really don't remember much about my first trip down the strip.because it was 55 years ago, when i was 15. I do know i have always driven the most unlikely cars to dragstrip,,My first time on the strip I was driving a 1949 ford, then I got hooked on AMC, I mean who wants to race a gremlin, or any AMC for that matter. yet i broke records with a 11.0 second AMX. Then of course I had a 12 second PT Cruiser, and now I've got a low 11 second Chrysler E55 crossfire, Which within the next few weeks will be in the 10 seconds,,,So for the last 55 years I have been having more fun out running more people and back in the day winning some money.. jim
Old 07-04-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 SL65, '13 FX4 Eco
My first time at the track racing was with my cousins who have been racing for 10 years+. Wasnt planning on racing my car but got called out by a kid with an older M3 and I couldnt say no. Had my cousin in the car with me he walked me through everything. This track was only an 8th mile which was awesome for a starting track. I had been for rides in my cousin's cars before at this track and video taped them racing each other so I somewhat knew what to do when coming to the line but was still nervous as hell. So as I'm pulling up my cousin says forget the burnout it wont help at this track with street tires. I get up to staging and deep staged of course. They let me back up and try again meanwhile the M3 has done his burnout and is ready to go. The tree drops and all I see is this M3 a car ahead of me. Slammed on the gas and must have done a 50ft burnout till I finally hooked. But once the car hooked it was game over M3 probably got 2 cars on me off the line then I caught him and blew past him. Finish line comes out of nowhere and I slam on the breaks while my cousin is dying laughing next to me because of how badly we had beaten the M3 guess everyone was expecting more of a race. It was $5 a pass and we had made an agreement that loser pays for the winners race. Walk over to the guy to collect my $5 and all he said to me was "I missed 3rd gear otherwise I would have had you." After that night the fire was lit and I've loved going to the track ever since.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:05 AM

'12 E63, E55(sold), C32 (sold), '65 Skylark GS 445 convertible, '12 ML350
Originally Posted by cal1
Very cool vid. It is amazing how similar the first experiences are. As you mentioned too, most everyone at the track are really cool and helpful. After all, we all love fast cars. After my first run, a number of guys were helping me with my launch. They wanted to see my car go sub 12 and knew it was all in the 60'. I got close, but never under 12 that night. It was hot and humid.

Something I forgot to include in the original post. When I went through tech, they asked me if I new how fast my car was. I did not. They then told me I did not need a helmet. My friend was giggling about that and i did not know why. When I pulled up to the time shack after my first run, they told me I have to wear a helmet or go home. Luckily I had one. As most people know, NHRA rules state that cars faster than 13.99 must wear a helmet. I guess the tech guys thought i would run 14 +.
You had the exact same conversation I had with the check in guy. I'd brought a helmet and asked if I needed to wear it and he said..."Maybe...these big cars are pretty fast but you only need a helmet if you're under 14."

After my first run he was working the booth and gave me my first slip ticket of 12.2 and did a double take and smiled and handed it to me. :-)
Old 07-05-2012, 07:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Originally Posted by Jimshorts
My first time at the track racing was with my cousins who have been racing for 10 years+. Wasnt planning on racing my car but got called out by a kid with an older M3 and I couldnt say no. Had my cousin in the car with me he walked me through everything. This track was only an 8th mile which was awesome for a starting track. I had been for rides in my cousin's cars before at this track and video taped them racing each other so I somewhat knew what to do when coming to the line but was still nervous as hell. So as I'm pulling up my cousin says forget the burnout it wont help at this track with street tires. I get up to staging and deep staged of course. They let me back up and try again meanwhile the M3 has done his burnout and is ready to go. The tree drops and all I see is this M3 a car ahead of me. Slammed on the gas and must have done a 50ft burnout till I finally hooked. But once the car hooked it was game over M3 probably got 2 cars on me off the line then I caught him and blew past him. Finish line comes out of nowhere and I slam on the breaks while my cousin is dying laughing next to me because of how badly we had beaten the M3 guess everyone was expecting more of a race. It was $5 a pass and we had made an agreement that loser pays for the winners race. Walk over to the guy to collect my $5 and all he said to me was "I missed 3rd gear otherwise I would have had you." After that night the fire was lit and I've loved going to the track ever since.
If that's doesn't sounds like brian o'connor fast and furious style I don't know what does. "I almost has you bro!"
Old 07-05-2012, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
First time at the track with my girl was at Steele, full weight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=tsfDVrSlKN4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=ABJm7NSlFQM

Old 07-05-2012, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ducati
Originally Posted by tgoss
This. Seems that Miata/Porsche/Ferrari owners aren't too happy when they get passed by a boat while going down the straights.... Nor are they too happy when that boat is going sideways ruining their line going through a turn...