FML!! Hood latch won't open!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:42 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
FML!! Hood latch won't open!!

I tried opening my hood today and the F***** passenger side latch won't open!!! Really pisses me off, not like it's a huge deal but I'm sure it's gonna be a major PITA!! Tried wiggling and tapping and pulling it with holding the release open under the dash, no luck. Maybe a broken cable?? IDK but the release doesn't really spring back to closed position after pulling it? Did some research on here sounds like could be the cable or latch itself. I did notice that it was not closing as easy as it should prior to it getting stuck. Had to hold my hands over both sides of the hood to get them both to latch. I remeber thinking, "Probably should check that latch out and lube it". Well needless to say I didn't get around to it. This sucks!!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E55, HB Torana
That happened to me, I could not work out how I was going to get it open. Had to take it to a body shop and they fixed it no worries, they just said the cable needed to be adjusted.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
wedge some soft but relatively thick rubber under the hood on the side that doesn't open and then try the release again. My hood stoppers were not properly adjusted and would not let the latch release the hood on that side.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 MERC E55
Hood problem

To get it opened, try having someone pull up on the hood while u pull the hood release. This will sometimes work. If you ever get it up, first check for the spring that's on the hood that provides the up force when the hood release lever is engaged from inside car. I remember having to buy one of these "springs" sometime ago on another merc I had. Check this first and then move on to lever, cable etc. hope this helps.