W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 06-12-2015, 07:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Help Needed; Sunroof won't close :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55K
Help Needed; Sunroof won't close :(

2004 E55 AMG
My sunroof will not close. It will open fine, but won't close. If I hold the button to close it, the roof makes a loud grinding noise. I can guide the sunroof with my hand and it will close to about 80% but it won't close all the way. Then I can open it again using the button.

I tried searching this topic and saw this problem come up with some of the older Mercedes. The solution was to close it manually. Does my model have a method to manually close the sunroof in case the motor fails? I tried searching the manual and the car but no luck.

I appreciate any help that can be offered.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
On a regular interval, the sunroof needs to be reset, but the grinding noise indicates a different problem.

I would swing by an Indy shop... if you have one close by.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes
Alldatadiy.com has symptom related information along with repair information. Good luck on your search for the answers.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:45 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
pretty sure your motor is shot.

To manually close, there is a hex key in the trunk. On your overhead console there should be a piece that removes, and you can manually close the sunroof with the hex.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:12 PM

E63
usually the motor housing bends and lets the drive wheel disengage from the cables that move the glass and blind. Thats why it closes the 80% with help. If you use the hex tool it normally inserts into a slot in the center of the housing, centered middle of the drive wheel. As you push the hex key in it will force the drive wheel to engage in the cables and you can shut the glass the remaining 20%. Once you take it apart you will see what I'm talking about.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
If its like the pano roof motors the motor is under the lights in front of the sunroof. Motor is rubber mounted and the rubber deteriorates and the motor pushes away and the gears slip and bounce off each other rather then engage and pull the sunroof closed. I've read of this being fixed by adding a couple of washers to the motor mount to keep it from twisting away too much and keeping the gears engaged. I suspect the sunroof is a very similar setup but I'm not 100% on it.
The following users liked this post:
Sanjay Gordhan (08-07-2017)
Old 08-29-2012, 04:21 AM

E55K
THANK YOU all so much for your informative responses. I never found the hex key in the trunk, but I did remove the overhead console and found the slot. I was able to turn it with a 4mm allen wrench and force the sunroof closed. I'm very relieved; I can finally take her to the car wash!

I'm still unable to close the roof shades (I have panoramic sunroof). Maybe the car still thinks my sunroof is open? When your sunroof is open, does the car still allow you to open/close the roof shade?

The lights next to the power-shade button don't light up. Maybe it's a fuse problem? Also my rear windshield power shade doesn't work. It all worked fine before the sunroof motor problem arose.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:47 AM

05 Hammer
Originally Posted by jaxn5
THANK YOU all so much for your informative responses. I never found the hex key in the trunk, but I did remove the overhead console and found the slot. I was able to turn it with a 4mm allen wrench and force the sunroof closed. I'm very relieved; I can finally take her to the car wash!

I'm still unable to close the roof shades (I have panoramic sunroof). Maybe the car still thinks my sunroof is open? When your sunroof is open, does the car still allow you to open/close the roof shade?

The lights next to the power-shade button don't light up. Maybe it's a fuse problem? Also my rear windshield power shade doesn't work. It all worked fine before the sunroof motor problem arose.
Reset the fuse In the trunk by unplugging for 2 minutes. Then the shades will shut.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:19 AM

Received 182 Likes on 86 Posts
W211 E55, Nissan Z31/R30/R31/D21
The key for mine was in the zippered booklet pouch inside the glovebox. You can find a bunch of threads for this issue. My pano roof motor had gone out. Was quite a hefty fee from the dealer because I just didn't want to mess with it myself and risk making something worse. I already hate working on BMW sunroofs..
Old 04-22-2016, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 E55
if it is making grinding nose or rattling noise when trying to close it, it is the motor symptom described above. dont try to fix the bent motor housing, just get a new one and install it. it is 1 hour work and there is very detailed descriptions on the forums about how to remove the headliner, rearview mirror and motor.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:33 AM

05 Hammer
Which fuse in the trunk? Please be specific
Old 04-27-2016, 03:31 PM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by MProved
Which fuse in the trunk? Please be specific
Here is the fuse chart and page from the owner's manual regarding synchronizing the power roof.

It is fuse 9
Attached Thumbnails Help Needed; Sunroof won't close :(-w211fusespg1.jpg   Help Needed; Sunroof won't close :(-screen-shot-2016-04-27-2.23.21-pm.png