W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow just went at it with a S/C pontiac G8

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 W211 E55K, GL550
Originally Posted by alextaylor29
Yeah G8's are beautiful cars and you can pick up nice used one, low miles for about $25K. They look alot like the Dodge Charger SRT-8 which is one of the most aggressive bad *** looking cars out there. (In my humble opinion)

If I was looking for a second car, either a G8 or SRT-8 would do nicely! Again you can pick up a used low mileage version of each one for about $25K.

Yeah i agree i love the agressive look of the SRT8 charger and the new 300c SRT8 is even better looking imo.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Originally Posted by bnzuovr
Yeah i agree i love the agressive look of the SRT8 charger and the new 300c SRT8 is even better looking imo.
Yep, plenty in my rear view mirror! Including a neighbors brand new SRT-8 Challenger (my favorite).
Old 09-01-2012, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 W211 E55K, GL550
Originally Posted by pearlpower
Yep, plenty in my rear view mirror! Including a neighbors brand new SRT-8 Challenger (my favorite).
lol EXACTLY WERE THEY BELONG.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E63, E55(sold), C32 (sold), '65 Skylark GS 445 convertible, '12 ML350
When I hit the track last year, there was a G8 that was the fastest non-track car.... Horrible track prep and he kept running 11.8's.... I was hitting 12.0.... ZL 585 was hitting 12.3.... Just to give you an idea. I don't know if he was charged, but he was damn fast.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 359 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Best thing about this forum is that every car make and model gets the respect it deserves.

If someone started this exact thread on E46Fanatics, it would be all "Yeah crushed that 'Murican POS ///Lol"
Old 09-01-2012, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pewter W211
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Best thing about this forum is that every car make and model gets the respect it deserves.

If someone started this exact thread on E46Fanatics, it would be all "Yeah crushed that 'Murican POS ///Lol"
I agree completely with this point. I love that everyone here can respect other cars even if they personally don't care for them or if they aren't their style.

I'm a huge fan of the LSX based engines which should be obvious by my garage pictures here. They are cheap, reliable, and can make some big power without much money. Of course those cars are completely different than an AMG car. AMG will make big power and torque and then take you on a comfortable cross country trip which most big horsepower LSX vehicles are not comfortable for those trips. (Aside from the new CTS-V's at least)
Old 09-02-2012, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 W211 E55K, GL550
Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
I agree completely with this point. I love that everyone here can respect other cars even if they personally don't care for them or if they aren't their style.

I'm a huge fan of the LSX based engines which should be obvious by my garage pictures here. They are cheap, reliable, and can make some big power without much money. Of course those cars are completely different than an AMG car. AMG will make big power and torque and then take you on a comfortable cross country trip which most big horsepower LSX vehicles are not comfortable for those trips. (Aside from the new CTS-V's at least)
That being said my first true dream car when i was in my teens and early 20's was a SS Camaro 98 to 02 i belive but i would definitly want to get one down the road. That was a true late 90's 2000+ muscle car. although the new camaro is nice looks bulky and slow. Not like a true muscle car imo.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bnzuovr
That being said my first true dream car when i was in my teens and early 20's was a SS Camaro 98 to 02 i belive but i would definitly want to get one down the road. That was a true late 90's 2000+ muscle car. although the new camaro is nice looks bulky and slow. Not like a true muscle car imo.
Drove the new SS a few weeks ago (thanks Hertz!) on some long roads in Wyoming and I have to say, it was not very quick.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB; 55KCL AMG, SL550 SLS AMG G500 Cabrio 280SL ML350 CLS550 ML500 E55 AMG CL500 S600 SLK32 AMG
I think that the Pontiac and Dodge pictured in this tread are extremely cheap looking. Nothing special about them. Their design and quality are mediocre, at best. TBH, these are overpriced solutions to get a "cheap" car made to run fast. For $25K, you could get a Civic and bolt so many things on, and absolutely rape any G8 or Charger.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by zneB-sedecreM
I think that the Pontiac and Dodge pictured in this tread are extremely cheap looking. Nothing special about them. Their design and quality are mediocre, at best. TBH, these are overpriced solutions to get a "cheap" car made to run fast. For $25K, you could get a Civic and bolt so many things on, and absolutely rape any G8 or Charger.
Seriously? You are considering a civic as an alternative to a G8 or a Charger? I personally don't like the charger much but it's a joke to compare it to a civic.

This?

Or this?

Old 09-02-2012, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GM has never been strong on interiors, never have been known for them and nothing is changing that anytime soon. Even the Caddi interiors are lacking once you get to the details. One does not buy a GM vehicle for interior design/function alone.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by pearlpower
GM has never been strong on interiors, never have been known for them and nothing is changing that anytime soon. Even the Caddi interiors are lacking once you get to the details. One does not buy a GM vehicle for interior design/function alone.
But a Civic is?

I LOVE the CTS interior...one of the very few GM interiors which I think looks even better than some BMW/BENZ interiors. But other than that, you're pretty much correct.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Im not a fan of the Caddy interior and if youre 6'0"+ you wont fit in the rear very comfortably

That said, the civic doesnt belong in the comparison.
The new Holden upgraded its interior finally...

Take a look at HSVs history
http://www.hsv.com.au/e3/see/ClassicList.aspx
Old 09-02-2012, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GT-ER
But a Civic is?

I LOVE the CTS interior...one of the very few GM interiors which I think looks even better than some BMW/BENZ interiors. But other than that, you're pretty much correct.
You posted a photo of GM interior, a mistake many make when trying to make a statement on GMs behalf. It is as bad as posting a photo a blond model with Ds that has a hairy ***. GM interiors LOOK OK in some of their cars-NONE function properly or lasts long. That is the issue. Crappy materials throughout and the CTS is a prime example of this, have to save money somewhere.

So bottom line-GM interiors is akin to a blond model with a hairy ***. No comment on the Civic as that would be silly to even discuss or defend, not sure why you even responded to that guy.

Last edited by pearlpower; 09-02-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Banned

MB; 55KCL AMG, SL550 SLS AMG G500 Cabrio 280SL ML350 CLS550 ML500 E55 AMG CL500 S600 SLK32 AMG
Seriously? You are considering a civic as an alternative to a G8 or a Charger? I personally don't like the charger much but it's a joke to compare it to a civic.

This?

Or this?

You have me all wrong here.
People are talking about buying these cars and modding them for low-budget thrills. What I'm saying is buy a 97 Civic (or a Talon, Eclipse, whatever), which will be extremely cheap and mod it to death. You can make it a 9-10 second car for a VERY low cost. I would never consider a Pontiac or Dodge (unless I need a pickup). I just wanted to state that both the Charger and G8 are second rate cars in every category (looks, performance, quality, interior, safety, prestige etc...) especially when compared to an AMG Mercedes-Benz. I doubt anyone here with an AMG would seriously debate that. I will admit that a G8 or SRT Charger is obviously a better car than a 97 Honda Civic, but if the topic here is just to have a faster automobile, you can make the Civic much faster for much cheaper is all... It isn't always about the speed, to me at least, it's how you get there as well.
If you want to have a fast car and mod it, and that's the main purpose of your purchase, just saying there are far better and cheaper cars to obtain this goal. The Pontiac is in no way a good looking car, exterior and/or interior wise in my opinion. Whenever I do see one on the road, it never does anything for me. But it's not the worst car in the world either. IDK, I guess I just find it weird to compare a G8 to any AMG, besides maybe a C32.

Last edited by zneB-sedecreM; 09-02-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Backwards-word-guy, you really need to get some perspective here. Look up Holden (who made the G8) before you make yourself look any sillier.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Backwards-word-guy, you really need to get some perspective here. Look up Holden (who made the G8) before you make yourself look any sillier.
Have a few friends down in AUS, they take GM performance seriously down there.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 SL600
Originally Posted by zneB-sedecreM
You have me all wrong here.
People are talking about buying these cars and modding them for low-budget thrills. What I'm saying is buy a 97 Civic (or a Talon, Eclipse, whatever), which will be extremely cheap and mod it to death. You can make it a 9-10 second car for a VERY low cost. I would never consider a Pontiac or Dodge (unless I need a pickup). I just wanted to state that both the Charger and G8 are second rate cars in every category (looks, performance, quality, interior, safety, prestige etc...) especially when compared to an AMG Mercedes-Benz. I doubt anyone here with an AMG would seriously debate that. I will admit that a G8 or SRT Charger is obviously a better car than a 97 Honda Civic, but if the topic here is just to have a faster automobile, you can make the Civic much faster for much cheaper is all... It isn't always about the speed, to me at least, it's how you get there as well.
If you want to have a fast car and mod it, and that's the main purpose of your purchase, just saying there are far better and cheaper cars to obtain this goal. The Pontiac is in no way a good looking car, exterior and/or interior wise in my opinion. Whenever I do see one on the road, it never does anything for me. But it's not the worst car in the world either. IDK, I guess I just find it weird to compare a G8 to any AMG, besides maybe a C32.

I can take that comment and say the same the about a late 80s early 90s VR6 VW. Those things can be modded out crazy and still whoop the jap cars.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 SL600

This?

:r olf:
Old 09-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Banned

Guy with the head in the shape of a cylinder, I'm familiar with Holden. But just for you, I read the entire 'GM Holden Ltd' page on Wikipedia.org. Because they are from Australia doesn't impress me that much. I've had Vegemite...never again lol. But at the end of the day, I always disliked Pontiac, especially Pontiac of the last 20 years. The is truth that the Pontiac G8, is factually a rebadged Holden Commodore. If you can share an ENTIRE platform from head to toe but just replace the badges...That doesn't say that the car is by any means unique. Just a clone. It replaced the Bonneville and Grand Prix (drug dealers, trailer park miscreants and the elderly drive these fine automobiles).
You'll never see an S Class with the Chrylser star on the bonnet. The styling isn't that great, the hood is the best thing it has going for it. Though if I had to choose, I'd get a Holden, as you never seen a Holden in the U States. They put a great sized, (Corvette) 415HP motor for the top of the range GXP model, but they put that motor in so many different GM chasis, and it's always quick. They put the same engine in the Trailblazer SS, but it definitely is not the SUV that I want to buy (G65 )
Anyway - To sit and drive everyday, the interior resembles a Nissan with the button layout, but build quality isn't up to par with Nissan.
I just don't understand why to you I look "silly" or you feel I don't have enough perspective sir. I know a guy who had one, I've been in cars when friends raced them, seen them driving around (GTs usually in that bright red). I can't say I'm a fan. It's just a brash car for no reason. I'll say this, they were improving vastly towards the end.
The Civic was just to say that on eBay there's a G8 GXP for $33,000. With the thousands for proper modifying parts and installation, your well over 40K$....Do you know how fast you can make a 97 Civic with $40,000

For the money to buy a G8 GT, and hook it up for the sole purpose to make it go fast - There are better, cheaper cars to do that with and get much faster results is all.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
An could you imagine what I could do with $40K with a toyota starlet?

What's your point? A Civic with $40K into it will be a very fast civic, but it'll still be an econobox. We aren't talking about the G8 being the fastest car on earth or anything...but it's a great band for the buck sedan that can be made very powerful and be a comfortable daily driver.

Please, apples to apples. Where does the Civic even fall into this topic?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
all right! I think that simgle malt scotch (did I speel that right?) is starting to talk for me just a bit, but :"Guy with the head in the shape of a cylinder" just made me laugh! what was the topic of the thread again?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Sounds like bath salts made it into some of these posts on this thread!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
I think the point of this thread was to originally give some props to the G8, even a modded one, with which I completely agree!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 W211 E55K, GL550
Originally Posted by cal1
all right! I think that simgle malt scotch (did I speel that right?) is starting to talk for me just a bit, but :"Guy with the head in the shape of a cylinder" just made me laugh! what was the topic of the thread again?
Haha Cal i at first thought "backwards guy" was funny till i saw the "Guy with the head in the shape of a cylinder" That was classic made me lol out loud.

Originally Posted by moosejaw
Sounds like bath salts made it into some of these posts on this thread!
Moose you better watch your *** or should i say face your in or near MIAMI no? lol j.k.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wow just went at it with a S/C pontiac G8