W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car cranks but won't start at times? And seats won't work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 03:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Car cranks but won't start at times? And seats won't work?

Well, I don't know if these incidents happen to just be a coincidence or they are in some way related..

I go to get in my car after leaving the barber shop and I go to start my car.. Keeps cranking but won't turn over?

It's not sputtering or anything, just cleanly cranking and not starting.

I wait, try again.. same thing...

So i lock the car with the key-fob and unlock it with the key-fob.. still nothing..

Then I lock it with the key-fob and unlock it with the key itself.. get in, car starts up (not sure if that's just a coincidence or not)

Then I go out again, and I go to leave where I am... car won't start.. I wait a few minutes and walk over to a friend... keys are still in the ignition.. I come back give it another try and the car starts?

In my driveway again.. didn't start the first time.. Got out, locked the doors and then unlocked them, using the key-fob for both.. car cranks a bit longer.. but starts? Coincidence?...

Then I notice.. My dynamic seats do not work? The light comes on the the dynamic but nothing works.

When I try and just adjust the bolsters.. I hear clicking but nothing is inflating.. (before this happened.. the leg support kept filling up with air?)

I read online that it could be a fuse for the seats.. and a crank position sensor for it not wanting to start all the time...

Can anyone PLEASE chime in and give me a bit of help... I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55K AMG
I could be wrong, but sounds like a weak battery. The E55's do wierd thing when the battery is weak.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by cwmateiuc
Well, I don't know if these incidents happen to just be a coincidence or they are in some way related..

I go to get in my car after leaving the barber shop and I go to start my car.. Keeps cranking but won't turn over?

It's not sputtering or anything, just cleanly cranking and not starting.

I wait, try again.. same thing...

So i lock the car with the key-fob and unlock it with the key-fob.. still nothing..

Then I lock it with the key-fob and unlock it with the key itself.. get in, car starts up (not sure if that's just a coincidence or not)

Then I go out again, and I go to leave where I am... car won't start.. I wait a few minutes and walk over to a friend... keys are still in the ignition.. I come back give it another try and the car starts?

In my driveway again.. didn't start the first time.. Got out, locked the doors and then unlocked them, using the key-fob for both.. car cranks a bit longer.. but starts? Coincidence?...

Then I notice.. My dynamic seats do not work? The light comes on the the dynamic but nothing works.

When I try and just adjust the bolsters.. I hear clicking but nothing is inflating.. (before this happened.. the leg support kept filling up with air?)

I read online that it could be a fuse for the seats.. and a crank position sensor for it not wanting to start all the time...

Can anyone PLEASE chime in and give me a bit of help... I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Crankshaft position sensor (CPS). Easy fix. I keep a spare in the glove box.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(SOLD) 05 E55 Estate. 11 Golf TDi
Yup, CPS.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by theunderlord
Yup, CPS.

yup cps happened to me. pretty easy fix diy for sure.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
CPS probably heat soaked sitting for a lil while while you got a hair cut and then acted goofy when you went to start it. They start to work again after cooling off a bit. They can cut out while you are driving so you want to get it replaced soon. They get worse and worse. Part is around $40-50 mail order and its a very simple install if you have a ratchet couple extensions and the correct socket.