W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M113K built short blocks, Q&A for the community

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Twin turbo + built short block please ....
Old 10-09-2012, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Originally Posted by cij911
Yes, +1000.

The E55 flat form is getting old, there are many options out there to replace it. You need to pioneer the TT kit. If you can make the TT kit works, the build short block will become a natural choice. Also that makes it easier to keep the E55 .
Old 10-09-2012, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold - 05' E55
Talking

This would be interesting - I'm all ears (eyes too )?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Originally Posted by e55amgrocket
Why not offer a built short block with the billet rods? I think most would go that route if they were in the market for one. When you start trying to go the stroker route that's where it can get very expensive. You will need a complete custom crankshaft plus different length rods that will also need to be custom made. Then there's the unknown question of clearance for the increased stroke/swing of the crankshaft and connecting rod also. Not saying it can't be done but that would take some time to get it figured out and done right.
The rod journals can be offset ground to increase stroke on the same crank. You won't get huge increases but this isn't unheard of. New rods/bearings would be needed for the smaller size but we're already throwing around talk of custom rods. The expense would be some machine work on the crank which really wouldn't be too expensive.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
Originally Posted by BBBSS
The rod journals can be offset ground to increase stroke on the same crank. You won't get huge increases but this isn't unheard of. New rods/bearings would be needed for the smaller size but we're already throwing around talk of custom rods. The expense would be some machine work on the crank which really wouldn't be too expensive.
That was my first idea but I've already had that idea checked out. It's very do-able but as you know It's very labor intensive. The place that has my crank actually said they could do it but would advise against it from their experience. Right now I think we're going to just go with a bigger bore to open the cylinders up and let the heads breathe better and should be able to use the 1mm over valves effectively. I might build 2 engine and bore/stroke that motor for a back up and to learn what needs to be done on it.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

There are at least 3 different companies CLAIMING to be working on blower upgrades for the M113k motor..... None have delivered.

A blower upgrade is way simpler than a complete twin-turbo retrofit. Call me jaded, but if companies can't even deliver on the blower upgrade a twin-turbo option will NEVER see the light of day.

I've grown weary of all the teaser posts from vendors claiming "NEW" or "COMING SOON" projects. And vendors be warned: If you announce a product that you aren't actually ready to sell, you can be sure that your thread will end up filled with complaints, suppositions and rants within 3 weeks. It will make you wish you had never posted in the first place!

-G
Old 10-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG on Ethanol-Meth; 600rwhp BMW M5
We als posted this in the retro fitted whipple thread but I thought it would be appropriate to share this vid here too. We fired our custom built whipple 2.9 jag last night, and are pretty excited about it.

Since there was not much interest in built blocks at this time, we are not moving forward with that project. Instead, would you guys rather see us do something like this for the e55 platform?

Again, we are putting our feelers out, since if there is not a demand, we are not moving forward as it wont make sense.

Comments and concerns are welcome please fellas

Last edited by BI-Performance; 10-24-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Makes sense, many interested , but no demand= a money losing venture. Many talk, most do just that.

At this time a solid reliable no excuse Whipple kit would be nice. But shhhh, some vendors here cannot even get a good header out the door without telling the buyer to hammer, twist, bend stuff to fit.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Craig, take this as constructive commentary since that is how it is intended.

The supercharger upgrade is becoming a bad joke in the E55 forums, and I think most people now are fed up with promises from MANY vendors who claimed that this was going to happen... I'm sure there is a market for the kit, but it seems that there isn't a single vendor willing to develop a kit, test it on the dyno and track and then bring it to market.... AT ANY PRICE.

More than anything, what infuriates me most is the constant "teaser" threads where new products are announced but don't materialize. To me this suggests that vendors either haven't fully researched the available market, development & material costs, or simply don't have the expertise necessary to actually pull it off successfully.

Talk is cheap.... and it seems like there is LOTS of talk in this forum about how a vendor is going to build a "game changer" product and break all the DragTimes records in the process. If a vendor has what it takes, they should do it intead of talking about it for over a year on the forums. I guarantee that if someone builds a new blower kit that puts down 600+RWHP they won't have to ASK the forum if there is a market for it. There will be an absolute feeding frenzy of people looking to place orders.... look at what happened when Weistec "almost" released their blower kit. They posted some new pics on their website and people couldn't give them their credit card info fast enough! Design it, Build It, Race It, Post results on MBWorld.... then SELL IT. I believe it is truly that simple.

As for your short-block idea, I think you had a winner on your hands when the idea was to offer rebuilt "stock" engines. Keep one or two on the shelf so that when somebody has a catastrophic engine failure, they don't have to struggle to find a used replacement motor with questonable maintenance history. If you want to offer "custom" engine building services thats great. But the market for M113K short block motors is small enough as it is (even in stock form). I can't imagine pre-building an expensive forged short block just to have it sitting on the shelf until you find a customer for it.

-G
Old 10-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 AMG on Ethanol-Meth; 600rwhp BMW M5
Thanks for the feedback Greg. We can understand the frustration from a consumers point of view. I cannot speak for the other companies, but growing a limited platform like the M113K into something like a twin screw blown motor is not cheap by any means. R&D is extremely expensive, and BIP has not promised anything in the past along these lines. We simply put out feelers to see if there was a market for it.

As you can see, we are the first company in the US that we know of to custom fit a 2.9 Whipple to this XJR Jag. Everything was built from scratch to get the kit to fit, and it has taken alot of time and effort. Given, the Jag does have a clutchless blower setup, the tuning is a major issue left now since their ECU's are a bear to tune.

I can tell you that we could have the intake manifold cut, and whipple installed with throttle body, and cai in very little time at all, the question is, can you even tune the ECU without a blower clutch setup. We have not looked into that, but that might be the hold up from the other vendors.

If we do decide to move forward with the Whipple setup for the M113K platform, we will give weekly pictures, updates, vids, dyno numbers and track times as we always do with all our builds. As far as getting a kit finished and bolted up, I do not think it would take more than 4 weeks tops. When coming to tuning, since that is unchattered territory, we would not put a time limit on that, but would promise to update every snag or issue we run into.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by BI-Performance; 10-24-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm sure the temptation is to jettison the clutch-type pulley for simplicity sake, but if the software side is a total nightmare to work around it would probably be better to just design a solution that uses the stock clutch pulley.....

It might not be 100% ideal, but it might allow BIP to get an E55 up and running with a replacement blower to see what sort of gains are possible. Call that Phase 1.... with a little success under your belts you could do a clutchless upper pulley with the extra programming as a Phase 2 project.

Just a thought.

-G
Old 10-24-2012, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
.......the reason a lot of these projects never come to fruition is the tuning. My view is that a vendor should not divorce the tuning from the mechanical fabrication. Only announce the availability of a product when the tuning has also been resolved. In modern cars, the ECU is a bigger problem than custom fabrication. So a product is absolutely NOT available unless the tuning has been completed and such product therefore should not be announced by vendors. It just fuels vendor distrust. Make it, tune it, then announce it. Otherwise, the product does not yet exist.

Ted
Old 10-24-2012, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.......the reason a lot of these projects never come to fruition is the tuning. My view is that a vendor should not divorce the tuning from the mechanical fabrication. Only announce the availability of a product when the tuning has also been resolved. In modern cars, the ECU is a bigger problem than custom fabrication. So a product is absolutely NOT available unless the tuning has been completed and such product therefore should not be announced by vendors. It just fuels vendor distrust. Make it, tune it, then announce it. Otherwise, the product does not yet exist.

Ted

Amen brother.

Modern hotrodding requires more than a TIG torch and a good set of wrenches.... if you can't crack the ECU coding, you aren't going anywhere fast. (pun intended)

-G
Old 10-24-2012, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 e55
Originally Posted by GregMB
I'm sure the temptation is to jettison the clutch-type pulley for simplicity sake, but if the software side is a total nightmare to work around it would probably be better to just design a solution that uses the stock clutch pulley.....

It might not be 100% ideal, but it might allow BIP to get an E55 up and running with a replacement blower to see what sort of gains are possible. Call that Phase 1.... with a little success under your belts you could do a clutchless upper pulley with the extra programming as a Phase 2 project.

Just a thought.

-G
I am wondering what the strategy is on the S/C clutch in the ECU. I would assume it is only off and on.

Is it just a IAT temp regulation thing so they don't blow the motors and melt pistons? It cant be for boost pressure as the bypass valve is for that.
I can see maybe for idling also, but not sure on that one.. does anybody know?

if it were just as a temp thing and the clutch is always engaged until the IAT's reach a certain temp and switches off the S/C. then it might be just finding the right resistance and find a way to fool the ECM thinking it is there. Only when the IAT's got out of control it would then possibly throw a code. Obviously i would hope the end purchaser would have a upgraded H/e and with the efficiency of the Whipple it might be a moot point as IAT's maybe a lot lower thus reducing the chance for the light to come on.

Last edited by groove66; 10-24-2012 at 09:44 PM.