W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble With Emmissions in AZ - Calling All Those That Have Floorfabbed LTH

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
I love it but kind of looking at a new car. CLS is for sale at the right price. Looking at $28,500 with all mods
Old 11-02-2012, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by djrabbi
I love it but kind of looking at a new car. CLS is for sale at the right price. Looking at $28,500 with all mods
How many miles does it have?
Old 11-02-2012, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
88k lol
Old 11-02-2012, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
I'm 82K myself!
Old 11-05-2012, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Peeps,

Just an update, ordered the O2 sensors through Dyno Comp in Scottsdale and they'll replace my front ones and hopefully this will fix the issue. I'll know by tomorrow at Noon if that's the case and post it there so you're all aware of the solution. I will also make sure they're not wired backwards.

If that still doesn't fix it, I'm driving up to Kleeman next week and have them take care of it for me because I'm basically out of ideas. Hoping I don't have to do the 13 hour (1 way drive from Phoenix AZ to Colorado Springs), but it's the price you sometimes have to pay if you mod your car.

Thank you all again for your help here. I've printed out this thread and high-lighted the key parts so I can share your recommendations with Rich & Ron tomorrow at DynoComp.

Alex
Old 11-05-2012, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(SOLD) 05 E55 Estate. 11 Golf TDi
Hope it all works out Alex.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Thanks guys, again really, really appreciate all the helps you given me here!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
New front O2 sensors are in, codes are clear now I just have to drive it through 5 or so duty cycles. Looking at the old O2 sensors (they are the originals and my car now as 82K miles on it) they're pretty burnt/coroded so I'm hoping this does the trick!

Fingers crossed!

If this works, I'd recommend all of you with FF LTH replace your front O2 sensors so you can pass emissions. I'll know by days' end as my CEL has turned on very soon afterwards if this doesn't work.

Alex
Old 11-06-2012, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Originally Posted by alextaylor29
Peeps,

Really need your help here as I've been working on this for about 3 weeks now but still can't get it resolved and my tags/smog is due 11/15. I'd love to hear from you that have Floor Fabb'ed Long Tube Headers from the group by about 2 years ago.

Here's the key issue:

I continue to throw two ECU codes below which trigger the CEL. The CEL and the codes will of course prevent me from passing emissions.
  • P0135 is: O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction Bank 1, sensor 1
  • P0155 is: O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction Bank 2, sensor 1
Here's what I've done to date to address this:
  • Sent ECU to Cory at Kleemann who did a full ECU tune/reflash as well as modified the chip that deals with emissions. Even after this both codes and CEL resurfaced. Cory is a complete rockstar by the way.
  • Went to Vivid Racing in Gilbert AZ last week who looked at all the wiring, headers and eveything looked good from a visual standpoint. (So no wires were broken, split, frayed, put in incorrectly) and they couldn't tell what the issue was.
  • Yesterday I went to DynoComp in Scottsdale who know E55's quite well and had them completley re-do the entire wiring harness, resoldering, reinstulating and checking all wiring. They cleared the codes and CEL, but within an hour of driving home, both resurfaced. (Codes & CEL)
So from what I can tell this is not tune/ECU related, nor is it wiring, connections related, but what Rich & Ron at Dyno Comp said is it could be a design flaw in the Floor Fabbed Headers which have the secondary O2 sensors to far down the pipe so resistance builds up after an hour of driving/clearing the codes casuing all of this.

Honestly guys I'm totally out of ideas and would love to hear from those of you that have the FF LTH. I have 15 days to get this fixed but would hate to have to put it back to stock (I didn't save the stock components stupidly) or spend $2,500 on new set of headers that don't have a design flaw.

If any of you are local in AZ and help me pass smog I will buy you more beers than you can handle!

Thanks you VERY much in advance!

Alex
That is weird. Every year I have to plug in my trusty Klee ECU and then drive gently for 25 miles or so and she goes green enough for emissions.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Good luck!!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
Let me know how it goes Alex!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Will do and thanks for your help with this Arsha!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
That is weird. Every year I have to plug in my trusty Klee ECU and then drive gently for 25 miles or so and she goes green enough for emissions.
That's because (please correct me) you don't have Floor Fabbed Long Tube Headers on, that's been the issue for me, not teh Kleemann tune which is ridiculously powerful! (Thanks to Cory @ Kleem)
Old 11-06-2012, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
If your car still won't pass its because the sensors are too far down the stream and not getting hot enough.

Let me quess,your car has a major torque hump from 1800-2700 and now pulls clean to rev limiter right?

Hope you get this fixed bro,youre almost there and you dont have to drive 13 hours to get it fixed just move the 02 bungs closer to the engine.

You will prolly notice now that you ltfts are always changing with how much load you put on the engine and not locked/frozen and the ecu just going to its wot map on load.

Your mpgs should go up aswell.I did a before and after dyno with my old tune and did 460whp and litterally less than a week later with the same gas in the tank put the car back on the same dyno and pulled 503whp with just changing to a kleemann tune!!!

ps I trapped 130mph with the tune Cory put on my car!!!

Its funny reading my emails with him and asking him to lower the power becasue I cant use first or second gear and I told him I was going to drop down to a 168 pulley lol

I did 598rwt at like 2300 with the tune Cory put on my car and I want to see what your making for low end.Get that sucker on the dyno and see where your at

Last edited by skratch77; 11-06-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

^^^ Makes sense to me which is where the idea of heat wrapping the headers comes in. Could be an easier alternative to moving the bungs but less likely to work. Maybe do both?
Old 11-06-2012, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by skratch77
If your car still won't pass its because the sensors are too far down the stream and not getting hot enough.

Let me quess,your car has a major torque hump from 1800-2700 and now pulls clean to rev limiter right?

Hope you get this fixed bro,youre almost there and you dont have to drive 13 hours to get it fixed just move the 02 bungs closer to the engine.

You will prolly notice now that you ltfts are always changing with how much load you put on the engine and not locked/frozen and the ecu just going to its wot map on load.

Your mpgs should go up aswell.I did a before and after dyno with my old tune and did 460whp and litterally less than a week later with the same gas in the tank put the car back on the same dyno and pulled 503whp with just changing to a kleemann tune!!!

ps I trapped 130mph with the tune Cory put on my car!!!

Its funny reading my emails with him and asking him to lower the power becasue I cant use first or second gear and I told him I was going to drop down to a 168 pulley lol

I did 598rwt at like 2300 with the tune Cory put on my car and I want to see what your making for low end.Get that sucker on the dyno and see where your at
EXACTLY! What are you like psychic? It's way, way stronger than my previous tune and I even told Cory to give me a, "Safe" tune, nothing to aggressive as I have 82K miles on the car.

I used to have to put in in Sport mode to get an extra bump in power but now comfort mode is just fine! It's funny when I talked about getting new 550c injectors Cory says he/Kleemann doesn't tune for those as new injectors are a modern phenom with newer tuners being way to aggressive with the A/F ratio. It's very telling that Kleemann a global tuner, very reputable company does not require and will not tune for bigger injectors. The moment he told me that, he had my business basically. I thought however my car would be way down on power after his tune, but it's been quite the opposite actually.

After I get her smogged I'm going to the dyno and will post the results here!

On that note, so far no CEL after driving 2 duty cycles at 60 miles. Attached are pictures of my old/original O2 sensors and based on their look I'm guessing/hoping they were the culprit as many of you have suggested on this thread.

If there indeed were the cause, all of you with Floor Fabbed LTH, change out your front O2 sensors pronto and you'll pass emissions!
Attached Thumbnails Trouble With Emmissions in AZ - Calling All Those That Have Floorfabbed LTH-north-pinal-20121106-00395.jpg   Trouble With Emmissions in AZ - Calling All Those That Have Floorfabbed LTH-north-pinal-20121106-00396.jpg   Trouble With Emmissions in AZ - Calling All Those That Have Floorfabbed LTH-north-pinal-20121106-00397.jpg  

Last edited by alextaylor29; 11-06-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(SOLD) 05 E55 Estate. 11 Golf TDi
Congrats man! Hopefully this is all handled!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by alextaylor29
EXACTLY! What are you like psychic? It's way, way stronger than my previous tune and I even told Cory to give me a, "Safe" tune, nothing to aggressive as I have 82K miles on the car.

I used to have to put in in Sport mode to get an extra bump in power but now comfort mode is just fine! It's funny when I talked about getting new 550c injectors Cory says he/Kleemann doesn't tune for those as new injectors are a modern phenom with newer tuners being way to aggressive with the A/F ratio. It's very telling that Kleemann a global tuner, very reputable company does not require and will not tune for bigger injectors. The moment he told me that, he had my business basically. I thought however my car would be way down on power after his tune, but it's been quite the opposite actually.

After I get her smogged I'm going to the dyno and will post the results here!

On that note, so far no CEL after driving 2 duty cycles at 60 miles. Attached are pictures of my old/original O2 sensors and based on their look I'm guessing/hoping they were the culprit as many of you have suggested on this thread.

If there indeed were the cause, all of you with Floor Fabbed LTH, change out your front O2 sensors pronto and you'll pass emissions!
Are the O2 sensors easy enough to order and replace yourself? I'm hoping this fixes your CEL issue as it will solve mine too!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:07 PM

07 E63. 07 STi limited #606/800
Heads up man, I got my 07 E63 smogged first time and i went on the one that is just south of I-10 on 59th or 51st ave.

I didn't even get put onto the rollers. He just plugged into OBD II, didn't even rev it, just unplugged it after it was complete, which actually took a lot longer than my Subaru I did the week before.

After he unplugged me, he said I would be done after the manager looked at it, or something. So I paid the $27.XX and he told me to pull out of the garage area and park and wait for the manager.

The manager comes out with a clipboard and just looks at my car for a second and writes something down and just says "Well you passed!"

As long as you get no cel, you should be ok, I don't think they want to risk putting a very expensive car on those rollers.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Originally Posted by infantry
Heads up man, I got my 07 E63 smogged first time and i went on the one that is just south of I-10 on 59th or 51st ave.

I didn't even get put onto the rollers. He just plugged into OBD II, didn't even rev it, just unplugged it after it was complete, which actually took a lot longer than my Subaru I did the week before.

After he unplugged me, he said I would be done after the manager looked at it, or something. So I paid the $27.XX and he told me to pull out of the garage area and park and wait for the manager.

The manager comes out with a clipboard and just looks at my car for a second and writes something down and just says "Well you passed!"

As long as you get no cel, you should be ok, I don't think they want to risk putting a very expensive car on those rollers.
I can only speak from experience with Ca smog laws, but if the laws says a vehicle has to be put on the rollers the shop can't decide not to do it and just pass your car. Now on the other hand because of traction control on all Merc's they don't get put on the rollers anyway. The problem is you can have no check engine light but if all of the required monitors haven't ran when they plug the car in it'll fail.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:01 AM

07 E63. 07 STi limited #606/800
Originally Posted by PACougar
I can only speak from experience with Ca smog laws, but if the laws says a vehicle has to be put on the rollers the shop can't decide not to do it and just pass your car. Now on the other hand because of traction control on all Merc's they don't get put on the rollers anyway. The problem is you can have no check engine light but if all of the required monitors haven't ran when they plug the car in it'll fail.

Well that would be "communifornia" for you, that's why I escaped and became a refugee to Arizona. Arizona probably has some of the most lax emissions laws in all the states.

Also, one thing I don't think you understand, unlike California, where private shops can smog it, All Arizona emissions places are actually owned by the state. So if that shop, like in my instance, "passes" my vehicle by just OBDII and visual glance, not even a real in depth inspection,Then it passes by the State.

That is why my AWD Subaru can't be really put on the rollers. State of Arizona only has two wheel drive rollers in the garage bays. So they just do an OBDII check for any CEL's or problems, check your gas tank cap, and rev it to 3,000 rpms and thats it. They didn't even put the sniffer on any of my two cars!

Hell, I just found out that only Maricopa County has to do smog emissions. Every other county in Arizona doesn't!

*Edit: Given that Arizona is too broke to even afford an All Wheel Drive Roller/Dyno for emissions, I don't think they want the hassle of risking a $100k vehicle that looks to be in pretty damn good shape.

Last edited by infantry; 11-08-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Every time I've taken my car in for emissions, they never put a sniffer in it that I can remember, but certainly never rev'd it up to 3K rpms on the rollers. They just checked the OBDII port and that was it.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I'm guessing since he hasn't posted that the light hasn't come back on! Go pass emissions now haha
Old 11-08-2012, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
Every time I've taken my car in for emissions, they never put a sniffer in it that I can remember, but certainly never rev'd it up to 3K rpms on the rollers. They just checked the OBDII port and that was it.
Same here in WA, they collect $15 and plug something into the OBDII and start up the car. Then computer print out the failed or passed result and you're on your way. If you fail you get to come back for a second test Free.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

All OBD2 cars (after MY 1997) are tested solely through the OBD2 port except for a few exceptions like California.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Trouble With Emmissions in AZ - Calling All Those That Have Floorfabbed LTH