Sponsored by:

Trouble With Emmissions in AZ - Calling All Those That Have Floorfabbed LTH

Old 11-01-2012, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Trouble With Emmissions in AZ - Calling All Those That Have Floorfabbed LTH

Peeps,

Really need your help here as I've been working on this for about 3 weeks now but still can't get it resolved and my tags/smog is due 11/15. I'd love to hear from you that have Floor Fabb'ed Long Tube Headers from the group by about 2 years ago.

Here's the key issue:

I continue to throw two ECU codes below which trigger the CEL. The CEL and the codes will of course prevent me from passing emissions.
  • P0135 is: O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction Bank 1, sensor 1
  • P0155 is: O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction Bank 2, sensor 1
Here's what I've done to date to address this:
  • Sent ECU to Cory at Kleemann who did a full ECU tune/reflash as well as modified the chip that deals with emissions. Even after this both codes and CEL resurfaced. Cory is a complete rockstar by the way.
  • Went to Vivid Racing in Gilbert AZ last week who looked at all the wiring, headers and eveything looked good from a visual standpoint. (So no wires were broken, split, frayed, put in incorrectly) and they couldn't tell what the issue was.
  • Yesterday I went to DynoComp in Scottsdale who know E55's quite well and had them completley re-do the entire wiring harness, resoldering, reinstulating and checking all wiring. They cleared the codes and CEL, but within an hour of driving home, both resurfaced. (Codes & CEL)
So from what I can tell this is not tune/ECU related, nor is it wiring, connections related, but what Rich & Ron at Dyno Comp said is it could be a design flaw in the Floor Fabbed Headers which have the secondary O2 sensors to far down the pipe so resistance builds up after an hour of driving/clearing the codes casuing all of this.

Honestly guys I'm totally out of ideas and would love to hear from those of you that have the FF LTH. I have 15 days to get this fixed but would hate to have to put it back to stock (I didn't save the stock components stupidly) or spend $2,500 on new set of headers that don't have a design flaw.

If any of you are local in AZ and help me pass smog I will buy you more beers than you can handle!

Thanks you VERY much in advance!

Alex
Old 11-01-2012, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
I'm throwing codes as well. chiromikey can clear my codes, but once I floor it and get some speed, the codes show up again. I was going to have him clear my codes and drive like a granny over and get my emissions checked.

As far as I know, Mikey doesn't throw any codes. I would also be interested in people's input here.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
I'm throwing codes as well. chiromikey can clear my codes, but once I floor it and get some speed, the codes show up again. I was going to have him clear my codes and drive like a granny over and get my emissions checked.

As far as I know, Mikey doesn't throw any codes. I would also be interested in people's input here.
So if I had DynoComp clear the codes and drive right over to the smog place I would pass? Doesn't clearing codes put the OBD in, "Unready" status so we wouldn't pass? Dyno Comp told me after clearing codes you still have to do 5+ driving cycles before you pass emssions. But by then the codes and CEL re-appear.

Seriously if you local guys can help me figure this out, I am totally buying drinks for all of you!

Thanks!

Alex
Old 11-01-2012, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(SOLD) 05 E55 Estate. 11 Golf TDi
Alex, try this,

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/O2-S...cer_p_306.html
Old 11-01-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by theunderlord
His issues are withe Bank 1 Sensors which are the upstream ones and before the cat. You do not use spacers or foulers on the upstream ones. Spacers are used on the down streams ones (after the cat), so you can lower the voltage reading on them which will achieve (in some cases) no CEL.

By looking at those codes I would say you either have faulty O2 sensors or there is a problem with the wiring harness going to those sensors. There is no other logical explanation. Also are you 100% sure that the plugs are not switched for the front and rear ones?

Last edited by vioilio; 11-01-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(SOLD) 05 E55 Estate. 11 Golf TDi
rog, throwin' out ideas.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Thank you both for your ideas, please keep them coming as I'm not the only one having this issue with LTH. My plan is to take it back to DynoComp with a list of possible reason's and have the chase them down.

I'm not as technical as you many of you are so this helps immensely!

Alex
Old 11-01-2012, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
Have you tried putting in a new O2 sensor, just to what happens?
Old 11-01-2012, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by alextaylor29
So if I had DynoComp clear the codes and drive right over to the smog place I would pass? Doesn't clearing codes put the OBD in, "Unready" status so we wouldn't pass? Dyno Comp told me after clearing codes you still have to do 5+ driving cycles before you pass emssions. But by then the codes and CEL re-appear.

Seriously if you local guys can help me figure this out, I am totally buying drinks for all of you!

Thanks!

Alex
I have no idea if the codes would show back up after 5 driving cycles. I know I drove a couple times over the course of a day and once I tromped on it, bingo!...CEL.

I wonder what counts as a driving cycle?
Old 11-01-2012, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Yeah if it's the ECU those run for about $2K right?
Old 11-01-2012, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
I have no idea if the codes would show back up after 5 driving cycles. I know I drove a couple times over the course of a day and once I tromped on it, bingo!...CEL.

As I understand it a driving cycle is when you turn on the car drive it then turn it off, however you can't just do this sitting in your garage you must actually drive the vehicle. I"m a little unsure of how long you have to drive it but I'm guessing between 50-100 miles or so.

Thanks.

Alex
Old 11-01-2012, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
i would try new sensors but it sounds like you have a ECU problem
Old 11-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
As per some MB techs the car has to be driven 7.5 miles (which involves speeds upto 65 mph) within 20 mins of a cold start.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Spoke to Cory who personally did the ECU tune himself had he said a bad ECU was highly unlikely in my case. Cory at Kleemann is a serious genius when it comes to E55's (The emails I have from him are ridiculously detailed as to what the issues might be) so I just sent him a note telling him I just just drive my car to Colorado Springs and have him fix it for me. (It's about a 13 hour drive from Phoenix.

Oh and the ECU Tune he gave me...it's off the chain powerful...I'm talking like Holy $&^%# when I hit the gas now. (Nothing against EC mind you, just sharing my person opinion/experience thus far.)

Last edited by alextaylor29; 11-01-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
As far as a cycle, you have run he car for about 20 min doing slow speed 20-45 and then higher speed and back to lower speed. Def get new o2 sensors for the fronts and see if the will fix your cel codes. I guess that's why I kept my rear oem cats since I didn't have to mess w extending my rear 02 sensors and used Oe tuning to retune my car with no cel codes since march and 6,000 miles later and passed emissions in August . Hope you can get it figured out.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
Sensor 1 is the primary sensor, before the cats. Have you tried new 02 sensors yet? it's not uncommon to see this code on a failed o2 sensor. Are your primary o2 sensor wires extended? That may cause an issue. You need to focus on the primary (front, before cat) o2 sensors. Also make sure you don't have the 02 connector wires swapped front/rear. The black connector is for the front sensors and the white is for rear.

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 11-01-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
OP, what your experiencing is 'very' common with LTH installs with any car, not just this one. Issue is the O2 sensors are moved too far downstream resulting in cooler operation. Simple as that. Ford/ Chevy guys run into this all the time.

Solutions are this:
1) Wrap headers resulting in a hotter stream-this worked for some people. I take it these are not coated?
2) New O2 sensors as yours are used and not as 'sensitive'. This 'might' resolve the issue.
3) Relocate the o2 bung closer if possible.
4) If a tune allows, increase the delay for the O2 signal as it gets hotter, or possibly increase the voltage is possible. I know on some makes you can do this, unsure on this one. If not see 1-3 above.

Best of luck.

Last edited by pearlpower; 11-01-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:32 AM

E55, CTS-V Wagon, Duc 1098R
You need to hook it up to Star-Das and determine if the sensors are lazy in terms of response. If they are, then they need to be replaced. Given your headers are coated, wrapping them isn't going to help and moving them up isn't an option since you will be placing it in one of the the primary tubes with the floored fabs.

Have you run leaded race gas through the car? If so you should replace them since only time I have seen this code once the ECU has been ruled out is bad sensors, race gas fouling them, or in some cars there is a relay that drives the heater element. I don't think we have a relay but I haven't checked.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Sensor 1 is the primary sensor, before the cats. Have you tried new 02 sensors yet? it's not uncommon to see this code on a failed o2 sensor. Are your primary o2 sensor wires extended? That may cause an issue. You need to focus on the primary (front, before cat) o2 sensors. Also make sure you don't have the 02 connector wires swapped front/rear. The black connector is for the front sensors and the white is for rear.
Yes I will ask Dyno Comp to focus on the primary O2 sensors and just ask them to replace them regardless. My car has 82K miles on it now and there are the ones that came with the car. I will also ask them to tripple check that the 02 connector wires are not swapped front to back. Black is front and white is rear, thank you!

Originally Posted by pearlpower
OP, what your experiencing is 'very' common with LTH installs with any car, not just this one. Issue is the O2 sensors are moved too far downstream resulting in cooler operation. Simple as that. Ford/ Chevy guys run into this all the time.

Solutions are this:
1) Wrap headers resulting in a hotter stream-this worked for some people. I take it these are not coated?
2) New O2 sensors as yours are used and not as 'sensitive'. This 'might' resolve the issue.
3) Relocate the o2 bung closer if possible.
4) If a tune allows, increase the delay for the O2 signal as it gets hotter, or possibly increase the voltage is possible. I know on some makes you can do this, unsure on this one. If not see 1-3 above.

Best of luck.
Thanks for this. My headers are not coated or wrapped so I'll look at doing this. I'll put in new 2 new O2 sensors and will see if I can relocate the O2 sensor but not sure that is possible. Cory at Kleemann did my tune and modded the ECU for emmissions so I'm highly confident this issue is not tune specific.

Thank you all again, very, very much. Seriously if I get my car to pass, you local AZ peeps are joining me at a local Hooters (I've never been to one if you can believe that) and I'm buying everyone drinks and food! It will be my, "Alex Passed Emissions Party!"

Originally Posted by adianaty
You need to hook it up to Star-Das and determine if the sensors are lazy in terms of response. If they are, then they need to be replaced. Given your headers are coated, wrapping them isn't going to help and moving them up isn't an option since you will be placing it in one of the the primary tubes with the floored fabs.

Have you run leaded race gas through the car? If so you should replace them since only time I have seen this code once the ECU has been ruled out is bad sensors, race gas fouling them, or in some cars there is a relay that drives the heater element. I don't think we have a relay but I haven't checked.
From time to time I do run either 100 Octane or 110 Octane through the car but it's always unleaded, never leaded. Still I will ask DynoComp to replace the O2 sensors as from what I see here, they're likely the reason. I'll replace all of them and make sure their not hooked up backwards.

Thank you all!

Alex

Alex
Old 11-02-2012, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I have FF longtubes, and I dont have the issues you described brotha. I did get the Kleeman flash, along with new 02's as I had c16 run through my car.

Once I completed those two tasks, all was well, and never got a CEL after that.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
I kind of had same problem but I am stock. I had ECU flashed by EC and failed at emissions. Had EC re flash to stock and drove it 20 miles and everything perfect
Old 11-02-2012, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Keep us posted alex. My emissions will be done in December, so you are the guinea pig here in AZ!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
I have FF longtubes, and I dont have the issues you described brotha. I did get the Kleeman flash, along with new 02's as I had c16 run through my car.

Once I completed those two tasks, all was well, and never got a CEL after that.
Thanks! I'm definitley replacing all the 02 sensors on Monday and make sure they're not plugged in reverse.

Thanks again.

Alex
Old 11-02-2012, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Keep us posted alex. My emissions will be done in December, so you are the guinea pig here in AZ!
Will do. I will post here how I got this all fixed and the results so we'll all know together. I'll go to Dyno Comp this coming Monday for replacement of alll the 02 sensors and check to make sure they're not plugged in reverse.

If this fixes it I'll take it to emmissions, then post the results here.

You've all been immensely helpful to me so I will post in detail the solution I found.

Thanks again!

Alex
Old 11-02-2012, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by djrabbi
I kind of had same problem but I am stock. I had ECU flashed by EC and failed at emissions. Had EC re flash to stock and drove it 20 miles and everything perfect
I can't do that unfortunately as I have a bigger pulley/headers so flashing it back to stock will cause the car to run poorly.

Quick question though how do you like your '06 CLS55? I'm at 82K miles now so starting to look at my next AMG.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Trouble With Emmissions in AZ - Calling All Those That Have Floorfabbed LTH