REAR HEADREST REMOVAL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 (FST N OC)
REAR HEADREST REMOVAL

Gents,

Forgive my ignorance, but Im at a loss trying to figure out how to remove my rear seat headrests. I have the seat and back portion removed already. The reason Im asking for your help is that I am trying to unplug the 2 small speakers that are molded into the stock HK subwoofer cluster. They pop and I believe there blown or bad speakers and I thought since they have there own cord/connection I could just unplug them and be fine until I can replace the sub with something JL Audio. Is there an easier way then to dismantle everything? I see the side panel by rear deck lid that the safety belt goes through and was hoping it was hiding behind that but its not!

Thanks GUYS!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
I too tried removing the back panel in order to gain access to the subwoofer on a wrecked car i was "experimenting" with and i could not get the head rests out either. Even after removing the bolts in the back, and the ones on the front of the bracket/ sheet metal they attach to, they still wouldn't be anywhere close to coming out. It looked like the head rests have to come out of the spring assy they they go in to. I was trying to push in some little clips etc i saw on it but finally decided to quit messing with it. I would also like to know how to do this for future reference.

Aaron
Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,487 Likes on 985 Posts
This place is a joke.
This is hard to explain, as it is quite difficult to do, a masterpiece of german engineering.
There are 2 small white plastic arms that must be released to remove the headrests. Loosen the plastic trim pieces that surround the metal headrest arms in the decklid. Slide them upward out of the way as best you can. If you look through the back window down through these openings you will see the white arms, use a small screwdriver or pick to release/rotate them. Basically you have to kneel on the back seat facing the back of the car, wedge your head in between the rear glass and package shelf and try to look down along the headrest arms to see what you are doing. Then, once they are released you will have to push the headrests rearward, sometimes even smack them with your fist to get them off. It's a real P.I.T.A.

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 11-18-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
total PITA -
Old 11-20-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
This is hard to explain, as it is quite difficult to do, a masterpiece of german engineering.
There are 2 small white plastic arms that must be released to remove the headrests. Loosen the plastic trim pieces that surround the metal headrest arms in the decklid. Slide them upward out of the way as best you can. If you look through the back window down through these openings you will see the white arms, use a small screwdriver or pick to release/rotate them. Basically you have to kneel on the back seat facing the back of the car, wedge your head in between the rear glass and package shelf and try to look down along the headrest arms to see what you are doing. Then, once they are released you will have to push the headrests rearward, sometimes even smack them with your fist to get them off. It's a real P.I.T.A.
mine had black tabs. i was able to get one side loose than twist it up and the other side would automatically come unlocked. they suck!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 (FST N OC)
Originally Posted by thumper823
mine had black tabs. i was able to get one side loose than twist it up and the other side would automatically come unlocked. they suck!
I see black tabs that look like a horseshoe, are those it? Funny thing we took off the speaker cover and used my buddies IPOD and it played just fine. Not sure WTF!! Any of you have issues with your stock subwoofer cluster acting up? Sounds like the 2 small speakers in the cluster are blown but I could be WAY off....

Thanks GUYS and Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
No i wouldnt say horseshoes. Once the plastic trims are popped free the tabs are under those. You may have to stuff your head between the back window and package shelf and shine a light in. Their is one for each chrome rod.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,431 Likes on 3,150 Posts
'71 Pinto
http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/se...%20Removal.pdf