W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How restrictive is stock E63 intake (tubing)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
How restrictive is stock E63 intake (tubing)

Sorry if this is a confusing/strange post, I just get ideas in my head and wondering if anyone had any input.

I know there are "beast" tubes and similar intake setups for the E55, do they seem very advantageous from a performance standpoint? I'm not really concerned with looks, but would think something may? be beneficial for the E63, but haven't found anything readily available for purchase.

Basically some ~3" tubing in place of the air boxes and up front ducting, and big cone filters in front of the radiator.

Thinking very basically, I'm thinking something could be fabbed up with Flex-exhaust pipe and rubber/silicone couplers. and once properly bent/adjusted it could be wrapped with something (header wrap or reflective tape) to shield the heat and clean up the look a bit.

Aside from the thought of rigging something up on a once-$90k car, do you guys think there would be a noticable performance improvement, from the filters as well as better airflow capacity, or does the "if that was better they would have engineered it that way" notion generally apply here??

I'm sorry, I just can't help but toy with things, I'd just want to do something worthwhile if i'm gonna put time/energy into it
Old 12-04-2012, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
i think you may have hit the nail on the head with your theory!

back when i was on the W203 AMG section (the C55 AMG days) someone made the same post for the NA V8 5.5 C55 engine. they wanted to swap the C320 tubes into the C55 since they had a bit more of a diameter difference in the tubing. someone did, someone dyno tested, and it proved noneffective. didn't make a difference in power on our NA engines. it may or may not be the case with our NA V8's, but just food for thought.

now, here is what i have personally done.. i deleted the charcoal filters and got roughly 10HP by doing that. then i realized that the stock air inlet was very restrictive, so i jumped on RAM air intake scoops from mpowr (i think that's how you spell it) on here. he has them for our cars, which i have pictured. my car is the one with the yellow scoops which look amazing. it's either mental, or i can barely tell a difference in performance at higher speeds. the other pic of the wrapped tubes are of another member on here which i recently met. i didn't ask him how well it worked, but he has the PP E63 so his car is better performing anyways.

hope this helps. if you plan on doing anything, do it, then get your ECU flashed by eurocharged. you won't regret it.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
That's my engine. The P30 had no horsepower benefits using the M156. It was all in the suspension tuning and LSD.

Wish I had IAT info, but I do not. I did this, plugs, and engine air filters on the same day, and the improvement was there, but nothing to jump up and down about.

For more pictures see the "Reflecta Gold Insanity" thread.

Originally Posted by michael kuzni
i think the other pic of the wrapped tubes are of another member on here which i recently met. i didn't ask him how well it worked, but he has the PP E63 so his car is better performing anyways.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
That's my engine. The P30 had no horsepower benefits using the M156. It was all in the suspension tuning and LSD.

Wish I had IAT info, but I do not. I did this, plugs, and engine air filters on the same day, and the improvement was there, but nothing to jump up and down about.

For more pictures see the "Reflecta Gold Insanity" thread.
hey jon nice to see you on here! did you ever consider K&N drop in filters? i heard they do absolutely nothing for our engines.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by michael kuzni
hey jon nice to see you on here! did you ever consider K&N drop in filters? i heard they do absolutely nothing for our engines.
I have K&N's in my CLK and I can assure you there is a noticeable improvement.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by AgSilver
I have K&N's in my CLK and I can assure you there is a noticeable improvement.
I'd expect an improvement because of filters, but i'm tring to determine if there's more to be had by freeing up the small intake tubing that leads from the front of the radiator to the airboxes (looks like it would be tough to delete the airboxes bc the sensors are built into them)