Talk about bad timing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Talk about bad timing

Thought I would share my nightmare day with all you AMG guys. So today I have a minor surgery done. I get home to recover and I get a phone call from someone who wants to buy my SL55. Before I could finish telling the guy about my car, he said... "Where is it? I'm coming to see it." So I hobble myself out of bed and clean out my car (while in some pain).

When the guy arrives we go on a test drive and he fell in love with the car. We back it on down to the bank and all the paper work and money is exchanged, keys handed over. As the new owner is driving home.... The car dies I get a call from a pretty upset guy. Meanwhile I'm totally dumb founded. My car has been rock solid for years. Never a major issue. Let along dying on the freeway ever. I mean what are the chances? Sell my car and on its drive to its new home it dies? It now sits at the Mercedes dealer waiting to be looked at tomorrow.

I did tell the guy If it can't be fixed with the warranty. I'll unwind the deal and refund him all his money. Wow though you couldn't ask for a worse situation to happen. Really I feel bad for the guy who bought it, what a crappy spot to be in for sure.

With only a phone diagnosis on my end It seems like its a fuel filter problem or something stupid and warranty should take care of it. Really though talk about crap timing. Out of all the days to and times to have the car die.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W211 E63
u kno whats funny, my dad had a similar situation back in the 90's when he sold his 535. It fell apart on the guy the next day. Its like the car was too used to your driving style and decided to call it quits when it experienced a new owner. How many miles on the car if you don't mind me asking?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by fila0220
u kno whats funny, my dad had a similar situation back in the 90's when he sold his 535. It fell apart on the guy the next day. Its like the car was too used to your driving style and decided to call it quits when it experienced a new owner. How many miles on the car if you don't mind me asking?
56K. It was such a shocker to me I thought I was getting scammed. The car is at the dealer though.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
damn! I hope everything works out fine with you.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by viren.89
damn! I hope everything works out fine with you.
I hope so too. I thought it was a joke when he called me telling me the car died.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
***** happens out of your control, you seem like a stand up guy so I am sure it will be handled in a first class fashion.
Years ago, I purchased a E39 Dinan S2 540/6 speed and less than 100 miles after I purchased the car, the water pump failed due to the plastic water pump impeller coming apart. I was not happy, but the seller worked with me to make sure we were both happy even though he had no obligation to do anything for me.

I am betting on a failed Crankshaft position sensor or something similar, I highly doubt it is something major.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
Bummer!! I'll put my bet on a faulty crank position sensor, easy fix...
Old 12-04-2012, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Bummer!! I'll put my bet on a faulty crank position sensor, easy fix...
Agreed..easy fix and everyone is happy again
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
very sorry to read, been there myself. Speedy recovery & hope everything turns out OK with the car as well.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
These cars are just like women.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Damn Mike that sucks. Keith told me today you sold it. Eh **** happens, it will be fixed.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1992 911 C4, 2008 P2 E63 AMG (gone but not forgotten), 2007 SL65 Renntech
Hopefully he didn't break it doing something foolish....
Old 12-04-2012, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
I'd bet on the crank position sensor as well. They're a known weak spot on these cars and do exactly what you described when they die. Parts under $50 mail order and 5 min to install. Sooo the dealer will bill whoever covets the warranty like $500 probably. Lol

It's so cheap and easy to install I bought a new one just to be safe.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:54 PM
H35

W220 S55
Happened to me.

I had a Ford Freestar van and never had a problem with it. Sold the van and 7 days later I get a letter from Ford about a tranny recall. I make some calls to locate the buyer and I find out 5 days after he took the van from me the tranny blew and he paid $3000 to fix it. Needless to say he was happy I forwarded the recall letter to him and Ford refunded his money.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by KrazyKorean
Damn Mike that sucks. Keith told me today you sold it. Eh **** happens, it will be fixed.
What's up Jihan. Glad to see you made it to the forums. Everyone this is my good personal friend form Phoenix (now in LA). He just picked up an E55 and he will be modding it weather he likes it or not.

Talked to buyer. He was super cool after thinking about it. I told him what's the worst thing that happens I give him his money back and I get a crazy fast AMG back. We are both confident the problem will be worked out.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C5 LS6 and CLS55
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
Thought I would share my nightmare day with all you AMG guys. So today I have a minor surgery done. I get home to recover and I get a phone call from someone who wants to buy my SL55. Before I could finish telling the guy about my car, he said... "Where is it? I'm coming to see it." So I hobble myself out of bed and clean out my car (while in some pain).

When the guy arrives we go on a test drive and he fell in love with the car. We back it on down to the bank and all the paper work and money is exchanged, keys handed over. As the new owner is driving home.... The car dies I get a call from a pretty upset guy. Meanwhile I'm totally dumb founded. My car has been rock solid for years. Never a major issue. Let along dying on the freeway ever. I mean what are the chances? Sell my car and on its drive to its new home it dies? It now sits at the Mercedes dealer waiting to be looked at tomorrow.

I did tell the guy If it can't be fixed with the warranty. I'll unwind the deal and refund him all his money. Wow though you couldn't ask for a worse situation to happen. Really I feel bad for the guy who bought it, what a crappy spot to be in for sure.

With only a phone diagnosis on my end It seems like its a fuel filter problem or something stupid and warranty should take care of it. Really though talk about crap timing. Out of all the days to and times to have the car die.
What about offering to repair the car for him, especially if it's a fuel filter or perhaps it's bad gas?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Blown_V8s
What about offering to repair the car for him, especially if it's a fuel filter or perhaps it's bad gas?
I just got back from the dealer. Tech's said they are pretty sure it's a crank sensor. They haven't looked at it yet but they pretty much know what it is. I'm also having them go through the car for any other things that may be wrong and I don't know about.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
When I sold my 1999 E36 M3 (106K miles), the car was in pretty good shape mechanically, but did have a lot of miles on it. It was never really beaten on, but come on, its an M3...

So I sell it on Ebay, and the guy who wins it is in Minnesota. I talk to him and even offer assistance setting up shipping. He says: Ill be out Friday, can you pick me up at the airport? : Sure

So I pick him up, bring him home (no homo) and toss him the keys. He drives around for a half ahour, comes back and says: Just as described, thanks!

So I ask: Whats the plan?

He says: I'm driving it home..

I say: Uh, when?

Him: Now, see ya.. and off he drives

So I figure Ill get a call from the front side of the Colorado Rockies saying: Your dumb car blew up...

Nope- He calls me on Sunday. Made the trip is 2.5 days.. BUT, did have a problem.

One of the corner lights fell out. I would never have taken that car on a 2200 mile drive. Not that there was anything wrong, it was just old, and that is a LONG drive. End of story