Sponsored by:

Shorty headers: PLM or Evosport or None

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EG8 | E46 | W211
Exclamation Shorty headers: PLM or Evosport or None

What's up everyone! I'm thinking about doing my first performance mod with shorty headers. True bolt-ons so I can retain primary cats for SMOG certification and swap to stock manifolds to pass visual if needed. So, I believe that only leaves me with PLM and Evosport options. I should note, however, I don't plan on adding an ECU tune so I'll be relying on the stock ECU to adapt. PLM is obviously the more economical choice, which I've seen on eBay. Is there a better source to purchased PLM shortys?

I've also been debating between shorty headers or an axle back exhaust (Eisenmann or Meisterschaft) used, of course. But I figured I can increase sound and improve performance at the same time with headers, agree? It just seems to be the more practical choice since I can then do secondary cats and resonator delete to further increase sound. Although, I'm not sure how strict SMOG techs are at identifying deleted secondary cats here in CA.

Any comments or suggestions before I get hit by the mod bug?

Further down the line will be a S/C pulley, which is when I'll get an ECU tune.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
The PLM header quality is not very good. They crack, and they crack often. (Can be had via Best offer for around $800) The best way around this is to add some flex pipe.

Renntech makes headers identical to the form factor of the PLM. Quality may be better, but they are over $4K (not even an option unless you need to burn mob money)

Any short header will be limited in performance gains based on the collector size and stock exhaust connector. I think that is about 1 3/4"

Overall you should see around 20HP-40HP give or take with a tune. The axle back will change the exhaust note, but not provide any performance gain.

Unless you plan on getting a tune, I would not put on headers. The gains would be minimal. Also, unless you plan on modding your beast, you are better to just get the axle back to make it sound better, and enjoy your car. If you are going to be a mod ***** like many of us, say so and we will grant you admission down the rabbit hole

Do you have a local tech? If not: I know a guy

Last edited by Bramage; 12-05-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
kleeman headers are considered mid length, good quality and reasonable 1000 bucks
Old 12-05-2012, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Originally Posted by AMG E Power
kleeman headers are considered mid length, good quality and reasonable 1000 bucks
But will delete primary cats......
Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
Originally Posted by Bramage
But will delete primary cats......
yes true indeed. did not read the post thoroughly.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55K AMG Wagon
I have covered approx 15k miles on my PLM and have had no issues on cracks, it is however one of the mods I would change if I were to start all again and would go with Kleemann.

Stupidly despite being a European company Kleemann headers are not quite the same bargain you guys get in the US, we have 25% sales tax so they actually retail at approx $2200- $2400 depending on the exchange rate

Last edited by SavMan; 12-05-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
if you are not going to remove the primarys catts you are just wasting time and money.a basic tune will net you better results and save you money.

i would do a kleeman 168 pulley and there tune and that should cost you about the same as buying evo headers and paying the labor to install them but the gains from the k1 setup will be better then just foing headers and no tuning.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Shorties will provide proven HP/TQ. As in any header install, highly recommend new motor mounts and trans mount. Install headers, relieve all pressure on the downpipes, cats, etc, then bolt it up to avoid cracking issues. Or as stated, flex pipe.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55, 07 ML500
+1 on the Kleeman K1 Tune and Pulley.. First mod I did and was very happy, so happy in fact I went into full blown mod mode and have not stopped..

If your going to delete primary cats why not go to LTH?? WAAAY more power. MBH are Great..
Old 12-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a car
Kleemann for sure. Best quality in shorties by far.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports

the mod bug will bite hard sooner or later.....

im having the kleemann headers and shardul belt wrap kit and eurocharged 180 mm pulley installed on my SL 55 right now so i will try to post up driving impressions after it gets out of the shop....
Old 12-06-2012, 02:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EG8 | E46 | W211
Thanks for all the comments, responses, and sharing your point-of-views!
Originally Posted by Bramage
Unless you plan on getting a tune, I would not put on headers. The gains would be minimal. Also, unless you plan on modding your beast, you are better to just get the axle back to make it sound better, and enjoy your car. If you are going to be a mod ***** like many of us, say so and we will grant you admission down the rabbit hole
Well said! I totally relate to your response...I've thought many times on, "just get an axle back and enjoy the car." It's not often these aftermarket axle back mufflers become available for sale, however, and I'm certain I will not pay retail for new.

***Found a pair of Eisenmann mufflers on eBay for a w211 e63 available...anybody know the seller?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320971043179
Originally Posted by SavMan
I have covered approx 15k miles on my PLM and have had no issues on cracks, it is however one of the mods I would change if I were to start all again and would go with Kleemann.
Originally Posted by Tal@ACGAutomotive
Kleemann for sure. Best quality in shorties by far.
Totes...I was eyeing Kleeman mid length headers and thinking how I could integrate primary cats, whether stock or aftermarket. Price, quality, and performance seem to be on-point, aside from just biting the bullet and getting LTHs.
Originally Posted by skratch77
if you are not going to remove the primarys catts you are just wasting time and money.a basic tune will net you better results and save you money.

i would do a kleeman 168 pulley and there tune and that should cost you about the same as buying evo headers and paying the labor to install them but the gains from the k1 setup will be better then just foing headers and no tuning.
Originally Posted by SilverStrk
+1 on the Kleeman K1 Tune and Pulley.. First mod I did and was very happy, so happy in fact I went into full blown mod mode and have not stopped..

If your going to delete primary cats why not go to LTH?? WAAAY more power. MBH are Great..
True, I'm beginning to realize that a pulley & tune is the most economical, bang-for-your-buck mod, which is probably the ideal "first" performance mod when all is said and done.
Originally Posted by pearlpower
Shorties will provide proven HP/TQ. As in any header install, highly recommend new motor mounts and trans mount. Install headers, relieve all pressure on the downpipes, cats, etc, then bolt it up to avoid cracking issues. Or as stated, flex pipe.
Thanks for the heads-up! Mounts and flex pipe seem to be critical in providing that extra clearance and movement to prevent the welds from cracking, which I've read from older threads.
Originally Posted by SL65amg
the mod bug will bite hard sooner or later.....

im having the kleemann headers and shardul belt wrap kit and eurocharged 180 mm pulley installed on my SL 55 right now so i will try to post up driving impressions after it gets out of the shop....
Yes, I suppose eventually I'll go big or go home, haha! I just know everyone on here has a lighter wallet from all the mod goodies we all enjoy. Keep us updated on your SL55 project!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
One of the things that makes a pulley/tune so appealing as a first mod is the value.
I understand this logic, but think a few points need to be made:

Is this really going to be your only mod?
I think we all know the answer to that:-).

If you do go stage 2 then headers are what you will do. So why no start there?
I am a big fan of the Kleeman set up, and they make a hi flow cat to match their headers for an additional $300. I think if you are interested in best performance and least potential problems the set up should be - headers>cat>flex pipe>x pipe>stock resonator.

Pros of headers:
Close to same power as pulley/tune.
Slightly more aggressive sound.
By increasing flow you are actually lowering boost slightly, therefore decreasing heat...a big problem for our cars.
While a tune will certainly help get more power out of this mod, it is not required (save a possible turn off of the cel post cat).

Cons of headers:
Can be more costly than pulley/tune
Not as much power increase as a well sorted tune/larger pulley
Less low end grunt and the power gains are typically higher in the rpm range compared to pulley (actually that could be in the pro column as well

Also I think it is worth stating that SOME people have had problems with the pulley install. It is not difficult, but I have never seen a thread that said "bad header install cost me $1900"...lol.
Also there is the heat...our stock sc cooling is already marginal at best. Adding any pulley simply makes this issue worse. Swapping even the sc pulley will require an upgrade of at least the heat exchanger and splitting the cooling system (and if you are interested in a 168 pulley I would suggest getting the sc one instead because of the easier install and lower cost). Factor this cost in and you are now looking at comparable numbers.

Then there is traction...increase boost and you are going to see that little orange triangle a lot more. More boost equals more torque equals less traction out of the hole. A smaller pulley won't be as bad, but I have seen cars with street tires and 168 pulleys actually run slower in the 1/4 after adding a pulley. Why? No traction through first and second. Of course you can always add slicks

For the street I think headers are the best first mod.

One last thing: if you do get headers DO NOT cut the O2 sensor wires to extend them

Good luck!

Last edited by Worth the wait; 12-06-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML550
Originally Posted by Worth the wait
One last thing: if you do get headers DO NOT cut the O2 sensor wires to extend them
Agree with LTH/tune as first mod, but disagree with the quoted statement. If done properly, it's a non-issue. The universal Bosch O2 replacement kit for our cars (Bosch part number 15733) is designed to be spliced to the existing Bosch harness plug of the existing sensor. The kit contains a well-designed, waterproof connector assembly, and if installed correctly, the extended rear O2 sensors function absolutely as normal. Extending them in this manner does not create any problems.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
I've had PLMs for around 10K miles. The have not cracked and both sides are still nice and shiny.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Go with the PLM's.. Jimshorts had them on his car and I pushed him into the 11s with a tune..They definitely make some power.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Get a set of long tubes or Kleemanns if you go the header route. Install is around $400 +\- Just make sure you get new gaskets, copper nuts.

Pulley - $200 labor and alot easier to install than headers (maybe not ) if your tech does it right. But you will have to add a heat exchanger and pump to keep heat down. I did both within a few weeks of each other and got it tuned once
Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 AM

W211 E55 AMG
can someone tell me where to get kleemann headers for this price?

thanks.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:29 AM

2003 E55 AMG
I have the evosport shorties and the are freaking awesome! Can;t speak for the others listed
Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 AM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
Originally Posted by novae500
Get a set of long tubes or Kleemanns if you go the header route. Install is around $400 +\- Just make sure you get new gaskets, copper nuts.

Pulley - $200 labor and alot easier to install than headers (maybe not ) if your tech does it right. But you will have to add a heat exchanger and pump to keep heat down. I did both within a few weeks of each other and got it tuned once
Who installs Kleemann headers for $400?! I was just quoted $1000 by Funktion Auto in VA.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
Originally Posted by AMG013
can someone tell me where to get kleemann headers for this price?

thanks.
http://www.kleemann.dk/Contact

contact Corey, not sure if they still have the special going on though
Old 03-07-2013, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML550
I've had both Evosport shorties and MBH long tubes on my car. Simply no comparison in build quality and performance potential. MBH hands down. If you're serious about building power, the LTHs are your foundation.

Originally Posted by efiftyfizzle
Who installs Kleemann headers for $400?! I was just quoted $1000 by Funktion Auto in VA.
By now I've personally done a minimum of five complete header R&Rs on my car so I am qualified to speak to this. The cost you will pay if you're not installing them yourself is a function of the hourly rate charged by the shop doing the install. From my experience, I would not allow myself less than 5 hours to do the job right as a one person installer. If two guys are knocking it out, then it could go faster. If the shop has never done it before, then it's likely they don't know the "insider" tricks to speed up the process that can only be learned by experience and skinned knuckles. So at a bonafide shop, I have to agree. $400 is too low a price, particularly since Kleemans also require cutting and welding.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
Originally Posted by komp55
I've had both Evosport shorties and MBH long tubes on my car. Simply no comparison in build quality and performance potential. MBH hands down. If you're serious about building power, the LTHs are your foundation.

By now I've personally done a minimum of five complete header R&Rs on my car so I am qualified to speak to this. The cost you will pay if you're not installing them yourself is a function of the hourly rate charged by the shop doing the install. From my experience, I would not allow myself less than 5 hours to do the job right as a one person installer. If two guys are knocking it out, then it could go faster. If the shop has never done it before, then it's likely they don't know the "insider" tricks to speed up the process that can only be learned by experience and skinned knuckles. So at a bonafide shop, I have to agree. $400 is too low a price, particularly since Kleemans also require cutting and welding.
Yeah.. that's what I was going to say. Kleeman headers need cutting and welding which makes the job a bit more involved. If they bolted up directly, I could see the $400 price point being reasonable for them. I'm not here to argue what's reasonable for shops because I know a lot of shops rip you off, but I am trying to find a local installer for these that's experienced with the job.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Originally Posted by efiftyfizzle
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
&lt;br /&gt;<br />
Benz elite in Alexandria off Eisenhower ave. tell them Minh recommended you. I drive from Dulles to them for mod installs. $High 400-$500 I believe was the price. If you have other mods can negotiate pricing

Same quote I got from fa last year. Too pricey for me

Last edited by novae500; 03-07-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
i've had mine installed for 500 but he also did my tranny and motor mounts on that price.. a MB tech at his own shop at home

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shorty headers: PLM or Evosport or None