Sponsored by:

Splitting the IC circut / divorcing the heat exchanger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Splitting the IC circut / divorcing the heat exchanger

I am installing a new HE in my car soon and while I do it I want to divorce the coolant circuit like so many before me have done.

I found this great link in the DIY section ( https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...nger-prep.html ) but I was wondering to save some time if anyone sold a "kit" to do this? The thread is from 2007 so I dont know how accurate the content still is.

If not can anyone direct me on where I can find the reservoir pictured in that link or a substitute? Maybe a larger volume unit? One of the best ways to cool is not just from an HE but by increasing the thermal mass aka more fluid to dissipate heat through.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
no real "kits" to be had. the tank in the thread is a bmw power steering resovoir. ebay has dozens for 10$ or so
Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
And no need for new HE. Save your $ for a KC. If I have to do it again, KC will be in for sure.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 CL600
Originally Posted by FI Fan
I am installing a new HE in my car soon and while I do it I want to divorce the coolant circuit like so many before me have done.

I found this great link in the DIY section ( https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...nger-prep.html ) but I was wondering to save some time if anyone sold a "kit" to do this? The thread is from 2007 so I dont know how accurate the content still is.

If not can anyone direct me on where I can find the reservoir pictured in that link or a substitute? Maybe a larger volume unit? One of the best ways to cool is not just from an HE but by increasing the thermal mass aka more fluid to dissipate heat through.

Thanks in advance!
I'm getting ready to do mine this week. I like straight pieces to connect my 3/4" cooling lines instead of blocking off the old T. The OP in the thread you found had the same view so I did some research with Dorman and found these 2 part numbers:

These are the part numbers for the 2 pieces in the first photo. They cost me $7 total. Figured I would share the part numbers in case someone needed them.

Regards