Sponsored by:

Pulling to the Right

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 M5
Talking Pulling right-problem solved

Met last Friday with the regional MBZ guy who called in a factory engineer on the phone who advised to replace the lower control arm "pins" (actually 5x1/2" bolts) with P/N 000-330-00-18 and then re-align front camber slightly to the left. Original factory installed pins apparently don't allow for this. Can you believe the dealer had them in stock and 2 hrs later I'm on my way home and driving straight for the first time in 6 weeks and after 1 new set of Michellins (it ain't the tires guys) and 4 visits to the dealer. What I can't understand is there is still no Service Bulletin on this fix and even the regional guy didn't know about it.....strange.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:57 AM

2003 E55 AMG
Picked up my car yesterday. I am quite dissapointed and now confused. Here is the story:
After he first attemp at fixing the pulling to the right issue and steering wheel vibration the dealer suggested new tires.
At the second appointment (to install the new tires), the service advisor called me and told me that the car got worse with the new tires and that I needed to be without the car for an additional day. At the end of the second day I got a call sayin that they re-installed the old tires and re-aligned and balanced the car and that 'it is better"
Better? I want fixed, not better (I said). They told me that I should drive the car and that they would keep the rapair order open and that MB was going to keep a close aye on this.
I drove home, and the steering wheel vibration was still ther and the car pulls to the right.

I left a message to the service manager that night (v-mail). I got a call today and was put in a conference call wth the regional service manager and the service mechanic (according to the dealer). They said, that my car is fine, and that it behaves as it was intented and designed.

Two Items called my attention:

1.- They said that the car is supposed to slightly pull to the right for hig speed stability (this is normal)
2.- They also said that due to the construction of high peformace tires, you are to experience some vibration on th tires until they warm up and this is normal.

I could not believe this was their answer. Given them the benefit of the doubt, I asked that this statement was given to me in writing. I also asked if this was the "official" MB position on this issue and therefore the car should really behave this way. Their answer was 'yes'. They also said, that unfortunately they did nothave any other E55s to test, but the car was designed this way.

They mentioned that E500s and E320s would not show this behavior since they did not have the same settings.

Now, I am confused. Is everyone else having this issue?

And mainly, are you folks experiencing vibration on the steering wheel?

I think I will open an additional post to address the steering wheel vibration since MB believes this is "normal". If this is the case, maybe I am expecting the car to be too smooth for a sport's sedan and have no vibration on the steering wheel.

Any thoughts? Comments?
Old 09-06-2003, 03:04 PM

Porsche Twin Turbo, Supra Turbo, EVO Turbo
First, Sorry to hear about your issues. However I already gave up regarding that. I took my W211 already and got it alignment done. The car got a bit better and yet the problem is fixed. ( That was about 2 months ago) they told me the same cheap excuse of the AMG this and that. I of course didn't want to get involve in a predicament because I know better. This is totally UNACCEPTABLE for a car with such a high cost. I have 10,000 miles in the odometer of my car and I can feel the vibration til the tires are warm. I guess Im used to it already and got over it.

But they should do something about it ( MBUSA) that is. Instead of us suffering the consecuences of driving loaner vehicles half of the time that you had your car. I bought the car to enjoy it in my power not the dealer.

PS: Sorry for the english grammar.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:45 PM

08 E320 Bluetec
I got rid of mine. Enough was Enough. Pulling to the right aids high speed stability. What a load of sheepdip.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:36 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 E 500 - Full option
WIPERS TSB

Does it exist a TSB for the wipers.

If yes: what is the n° and what is the modification ?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2003, 11:44 AM

2003 E55 AMG
I am with you Chip. Got rid of mine a couple of weeks ago. I am now driving a 2004 SL 500. No more pulling to the right. Ok, Ok, no more 469HP engine either. I changed the "Flexing muscle" attitude of the E55 for the "Beauty" of the SL500.

What can I tell you, I am a sucker for beauty...
Old 11-19-2003, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
03_55

A couple of things. First, don't let anyone from MB tell you the car is designed to pull right for safety reasons. This is such Bull S**T it's not even funny. Check the archives on the new E class forum. there are hundreds of threads about this problem. Secondly, it is prevalent in the E500, it is not an "AMG problem". It seems that of the cars exhibiting this problem there are several examples of fixes. Some were corrected just by alignment, others needed the camber bolt kit, and some could never fix the problem. Here's my situation as of today. that's why I came over here, just curious to see if any of you guys have been experiencing it (Also kicking myself for not coughing up and getting the 55. So I get my kicks here ) Anyway, my E500 came with the stock 17" wheels and lousy conti tires. No pulling to the right. I replaced them with 18" styling IV AMG wheels and SO-3's. No pulling to the right. Removed the SO-3's the other day for the winter, bought another set of AMG wheels with pilot sport All season. Pulling to the right. There were discussions on the new E forum that the pilot sport A/S specifically had a tendency to pull to the right. One guy over there had the A/S and went to the regular pilot sport and it did not pull. So it's not a safety issue, it's not 18" wheels, it's not just an AMG problem.