spark question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
spark question

Does anyone know if both spark plugs fire at the same time? I know they are on the same coil so i would guess they fire together? Hemi's have dual plugs like us but the second set fire on the exhaust stroke to help burn any left over fuel for emissions.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:59 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
I read that they fire at the same time.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
perfect just what i needed to know
Old 12-13-2012, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I can't find where I read it but it apparently switches from staggered to simultaneous depending on the load. The could explain why they are labled A and B.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
This isn't where I saw it but it describes the same thing:
http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5017050...dule-work.html
Old 12-13-2012, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
as long as its firing both under full throttle im fine with that lol
Old 12-13-2012, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by e55amgrocket
as long as its firing both under full throttle im fine with that lol

What are you planning? lol.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by GT-ER
What are you planning? lol.
I bet something equivalent to the gates of hell in his cylinders
Old 12-13-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
standalone EMS?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
I wish but standalone would take way too much work. I will need all the spark I can get though......it will be something like the gates of hell for sure
Old 12-13-2012, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Aftermarket coils?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
No aftermarket coils yet but I am having custom wires done right now
Old 12-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
I read that they fire at the same time.
Wrong. The point of dual plugs its to clean up any unburnt fuel and therefore clean up emissions. They are staggered in firing. Another gem of info from you

http://www.alfa145.co.uk/tech_pages/ts_theory.html

Last edited by blackbenzz; 12-13-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
When you see plugs being fired on the exhaust stroke, it is not to clean emissions. Won't have any affect there. That is likely a spark waste ignition system. This is where there is one coil that fires two cylinders. One will be on the compression while the other cylinder is on exhaust. It is just cheaper as they cut the number of coils down. No benefit in performance. It does cause the plugs to wear/erode much faster and these systems typically use dual grounding electrodes.

If you can access a wiring schematic for the coils you can look to see if there is more than one control wire controlled by the ECU. If there is only one I would think that both plugs are fired together. If there is more than one control wire each plug could be fired independently.

If there is one control wire there can still be more than one firing event per cycle, but both plugs will still be fired together.

You can get more spark energy out of the current system so you can fire through higher cylinder pressure by increasing the supply voltage to the coil. There are products on the market that will do this.

So, whatch'a working on??

G
Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
Originally Posted by Gadget@URD
When you see plugs being fired on the exhaust stroke, it is not to clean emissions. Won't have any affect there. That is likely a spark waste ignition system. This is where there is one coil that fires two cylinders. One will be on the compression while the other cylinder is on exhaust. It is just cheaper as they cut the number of coils down. No benefit in performance. It does cause the plugs to wear/erode much faster and these systems typically use dual grounding electrodes.

If you can access a wiring schematic for the coils you can look to see if there is more than one control wire controlled by the ECU. If there is only one I would think that both plugs are fired together. If there is more than one control wire each plug could be fired independently.

If there is one control wire there can still be more than one firing event per cycle, but both plugs will still be fired together.

You can get more spark energy out of the current system so you can fire through higher cylinder pressure by increasing the supply voltage to the coil. There are products on the market that will do this.

So, whatch'a working on??

G
Just tossing some ideas around and for one idea I will need a very strong spark. I know on the dodge hemi that one plug fires at TDC and the other plug fires on the down stroke to burn anything that is left over for emissions but they have a different style ignition system than us. The never mercedes engines can for several sparks during the power cycle but we don't have that. To bad I can't slap a MSD Pro Mag on this thing
Old 12-14-2012, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Are you having ignition problems or just anticipating some with whatever you're doing?

Aaron
Old 12-14-2012, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
Originally Posted by WHTEVO
Are you having ignition problems or just anticipating some with whatever you're doing?

Aaron
Didn't have any problems before but i might in the future....... I sent a coil out to someone that builds coils for big power mod motors and LSx engines that are still running coils to see what they think.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:38 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Wrong. The point of dual plugs its to clean up any unburnt fuel and therefore clean up emissions. They are staggered in firing. Another gem of info from you

http://www.alfa145.co.uk/tech_pages/ts_theory.html
Are you serious [blackbenzz]? You clearly missread your own copied and pasted link, in your haste to jump this thread. Ignition takes place in TWO locations, not at two seperate time events. The two locations meaning, that one plug on each side of the combustion chamber.

From your own link.

As ignition takes place in two locations rather than one, this enable more efficient combustion and cleaner emission. However, besides Alfa, in the past 15 years only Mercedes and Porsche have ever applied Twin Spark design to their engines. This is mainly because of the complexity of cylinder head - it would be too difficult to put 4 valves and 2 plugs into the small cylinder head area

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by splinter; 12-14-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: delete personal info
Old 12-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Are you serious? You clearly missread your own copied and pasted link, in your haste to jump this thread. Ignition takes place in TWO locations, not at two seperate time events. The two locations meaning, that one plug on each side of the combustion chamber.

From your own link.

As ignition takes place in two locations rather than one, this enable more efficient combustion and cleaner emission. However, besides Alfa, in the past 15 years only Mercedes and Porsche have ever applied Twin Spark design to their engines. This is mainly because of the complexity of cylinder head - it would be too difficult to put 4 valves and 2 plugs into the small cylinder head area
Yes I'm serious. In my haste to post i pasted the wrong link. They do fire sequentially and you can do a google search and see. Why do you always have to make things personal? Would you like me to post your personal info? Don't get mad because you're wrong and i point it out. Here's one link for you to read

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...lug-heads.html