New and old E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55 AMG
New and old E55

Can someone tell me what they did to the engine to get the HP up to 469 from 349. Did they take the old engine such as my '99 E55 and put in a supercharger?
Old 08-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Bilal

Should answer some of your queries.

Quoted from www.4car.co.uk

"Mercedes-Benz has revealed more details of its most powerful car, the forthcoming 476 bhp SL 55 AMG. This is due on sale next summer, a few months after the new SL 500 goes on sale, and promises awesome performance from its supercharged V8 24-valve engine: 0-60 mph acceleration in 4.7 seconds and maximum torque of 516 lb ft/700 Nm at just 2650 rpm, manipulated by an F-style five-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel-mounted gear selectors.
AMG(Aufrecht Melcher Grossaspach, a formerly independent motorsport developer and tuning company now integrated into Mercedes-Benz) has adapted the axles, wheels, tyres and entire powertrain of the SL to cope with the huge power output, and uprated the brakes: the front brake pads, for a start, are almost twice as large as those of the SL 500, itself no weakling with 306 bhp and 339 lb ft. The engine features a newly-developed belt-driven supercharger, which produces around 30% more charge pressure than comparable systems, with a screw-type compressor which is connected to the crankshaft by an electromagnetic clutch and enables spontaneous boost at the press of the accelerator, even at low revs.
The engine also features, for the first time in a Mercedes, a fully computer-controlled fuel supply. AMG modified "nearly all the components in the original SL 500 engine", says Mercedes. The modifications are to the crankcase, which has special motorsport-developed transverse screw connections, the crankshaft, uprated to deal with the extra torque with modified bearings and more durable materials, as well as a stroke increased from 84mm to 92mm, the pistons, which are more resistant to heat and pressure, the oil supply with different sump, an oil catch tray, front sump and a more powerful oil pump, the cylinder head, which has optimised air intake and exhaust ducts, the camshafts, which have longer valve opening times, the valve train, which has a double spring assembly enabling the rated engine speed to rise from 5,600 rpm to 6,100 rpm, and the engine ECU, which uses electronic maps to activate the compressor. The new bore/stroke ratio (92:97) ups the engine capacity to 5439cc, 473cc more than that of the SL 500. The SL's active suspension has been adjusted for the SL 55 AMG, and now incorporates a load adjustment element. This can sense whether a bag has been put into the boot, or a passenger has got out, and adjusts the suspension characteristics accordingly. The settings for the electronic drivers' aids - Sensotronic Brake Control (SBC), variable brakeforce distribution, Active Body Control (ABC) and electronic stability programme (ESP) - have also been recalibrated, and the suspension struts stiffened "for even more spontaneous steering characteristics". The rear axle, steel sub-frame and spring links have been reinforced and the brakes uprated; the front brakes have four pads and eight pistons, as well as 360mm brake discs (330mm behind). The 18-inch alloy wheels (8.5J x 18 up front, 9.5J x 18 behind) have a new multispoke design and wide-profile tyres (255/40 R 18 in front, 285/35 R 18 at the rear). One-piece five-spoke alloys are optional.
Most importantly for many buyers, however, the SL 55 AMG can be distinguished from lesser SL models (though these things are relative?) by its modified bumper with prominent front spoiler edges, an expanded metal front grille opening with a black finish, clear glass integral fog lamps, AMG side skirts, four oval chromed exhaust tailpipes, partially darkened lenses for the taillights and the unique alloy wheels. Inside, although final specification has not yet been confirmed for the UK, there will be exclusive AMG perforated leather seats with enhanced lateral support, an alcantara-covered instrument shroud, special AMG dials and an aluminium-trimmed centre console and door panelling. Three colour combinations will be offered: black/graphite, alpaca dark grey/alpaca grey, or black/berry red. Mercedes-Benz has yet to confirm pricing for the UK, but then if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it."

You should NOT mess with your car, not just for warranties sake, but anything more than a 15% increase in HP and/or Torque could destroy your engine, as quoted from Head members of the AMG Owners Club.

If you were to, then simply adding a supercharger won't solve it, you will end up damaging the car from anything of pistons to crankshaft to whatever. If you were to ask a reputable tuner about doing such power upgrades, and from reliable tuners, it would cost a bomb. the philosophy is simple, trust no one else other than AMG. AMG have to STRICTLY adhere to DaimlerChrylser's and Mercedes-Benz's laws of safety, and I can assure you, or as you may well know, Mercedes-Benz make the safest cars in the world, anything less than driving a Benz and you would be....
Attached Thumbnails New and old E55-46454.jpg  
Old 08-05-2003, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally posted by MB AMG
Can someone tell me what they did to the engine to get the HP up to 469 from 349. Did they take the old engine such as my '99 E55 and put in a supercharger?
Hey MB AMG, pick one to describe the last 2-3 years of your life:

a. I just crawled out from under a rock or left my cave in the hills.

b. I am Finally here back on earth, the trip from planet Zizioni was long.

c. I was in a coma for 3 years is that Clinton fellow still president.

d. My brain transplant was successful but the donor was an Tibetian Monk who had no contact with the outside world.

e. Prison was tough but I am now enjoying my 99 E55 I left in storage prior to going in.

d. Internet access, television and magazines are hard to get under the ocean in Atlantis.

Welcome, just kidding, I could not resist.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally posted by E55 KEV
Hey MB AMG, pick one to describe the last 2-3 years of your life:

a. I just crawled out from under a rock or left my cave in the hills.

b. I am Finally here back on earth, the trip from planet Zizioni was long.

c. I was in a coma for 3 years is that Clinton fellow still president.

d. My brain transplant was successful but the donor was an Tibetian Monk who had no contact with the outside world.

e. Prison was tough but I am now enjoying my 99 E55 I left in storage prior to going in.

d. Internet access, television and magazines are hard to get under the ocean in Atlantis.

Welcome, just kidding, I could not resist.

Holy Crap Thats funny. I was going to type something along that lines also.........Where's that pic when I need it....."Hello and welcome to last week"
I know someone has it!!!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo

thats old bananas.. heres an update
Attached Thumbnails New and old E55-last-week.jpg