W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Disturbing LA Times article RE: Merc’s dwindling Quality!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 E63 (back up '01 E430)
Unhappy Disturbing LA Times article RE: Merc’s dwindling Quality!

When I read this article, it upsets me that maybe Mercs are heading this direction (let us all hope this is not the case )

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...e000168275.cfm

http://mbspy.com/mbquality.htm

…but then again…Mercs did make some illogical designs that still to this day doesn’t make any sense why they even released the cars with such design flaw.

ie:
-210’s front seat cup holder (with the flimsy arm)
-210’s rear trunk cover (when trying to access under the cargo the only thing you end up pulling is, the once again a flimsy plastic piece)
…etc…

Here’s a Quote from the “What do you think” post. Regarding the “clock taking up room”.
Originally posted by MSV
…And yes, that stupid clock is the worst waste of valuable instrument display space i have ever seen, especially on such a high performance car. Anything would be better than that grandfather clock, a combo of water, oil temp...ANYTHING.
…as a matter of fact, now that I read the post regarding people experiencing plenty of problems; it does give an impression that Mercs are going downhill. Like what I said, I hope this is not the case.

Here are some of the post that dealt with problems/Flaws.

“Serious Electrical Problem" post
“Name the common c36 problems” post
“Pulling to the Right” post
…so on and so forth…

…I know, I know there’s no such thing as a “perfect car”, one way or the other a car from every manufacturer will have their flaw, but come on, didn’t someone at Merc think about those things before putting it out to production?

Last edited by em2023; 08-04-2003 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB quality has gone to ****, my 2003 E55 interior quality, is not as good as it should be.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:09 AM

And with that stupid merger with Chrysler expect an even worst future.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:14 AM

08 E320 Bluetec
I bet the Long Beach Mb dealer is pleased with the placement of his ad.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:20 AM

I bet the Long Beach Mb dealer is pleased with the placement of his ad.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:33 PM

1) There is no question that MB quality has declined since the 1980's.
2) BMW and Audi actually fare no better in quality reports--their forums are also packed with messages about poor build quality etc.
3) I checked a Rolls-Royce owners site and guess what? Many of the posted topics were complaints about mechanical issues.
4) This is not to imply that mediocrity should be acceptable. And yes, the Japanese manufacturers have set the bar where it should be, and have proven that profitability, advanced technology and reliability need not be mutually exclusive.
5) Most people's notion of "Mercedes build quality" is as outdated as expecting athletes to desire to excel only for "the love of the game".
Old 08-05-2003, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
I can't comment on any of the new problems in the newer MB's since Chrysler took over as I have a '97 (pre-Chrysler) E420. But, I can share that MB is not the only company with problems. As everyone else has been mentioning, BMW has had major problems with their newer cars, especially the new 745i. Just this morning I went ot pick up my buddy dropping off his '00 328ci at the BMW dealer in Glendale and there sat 9 brand new 745's that people were dropping off or having towed in because of problems. I heard all kinds of people yelling at the service techs that there cars were pieces of sh*t and wanting to file lemon lawsuits. I personally (knocking on wood) have not had any major problems with my Benz and I really stay up on the maintenance and really baby my car as much as I can. Mobil Premium fuel and Mobil 1 oil is all it gets...
Old 08-06-2003, 12:26 AM

E55 AMG
Yup, this topic has come up again and again in recent years. It all started with the intro of the M-class, which even today seems to suffer with realiability issues, although the build quality has improved slightly over the years. The current C-class seems almost as bad as the M-class. The S-class too (especially being the top end car) has had its issues, and many felt its build quality was not up to the last gen.

But everybody remembers the Mercedes of the 70's and 80's as being the gold standard. You still see many on the roads today that seem to be in great shape. Mercedes had touted that the new W211 E-class was suppose to be a return to those lofty standards. Sadly, this does not seem to be the case. MB really needs to get its act together or its once mighty image will be tarnished forever.

Thankfully, my W210 E 55 has been near flawless (knock on wood). The only time its ever been in the shop has been for routine maintenance.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:16 AM
Almost a Member!

1999 E55 AMG
Japanese quality

Once Toyota or Honda build cars with the performance and design of MB's AMG division, I will make the switch and never look back. I know many engineers (NOT in the automotive industry) who visit Toyota to learn the most advanced manufacturing techniques. They are completely in awe of how Toyota has raised the bar in manufacturing--clearly the world leader. This is why Toyota vehicles are tops in quality year after year.