Wimpy Stereo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 08:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E55 AMG
Wimpy Stereo

I hope this one hasn't been done to death, but I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a power amplifier that will work with the stock radio.

I have a 01 E55, I want to keep the standard radio and hopefully the speakers as well.

I'm disappointed though with the volume of the radio. I don't want to 'thump', I just want to be able to listen to radio/CD's louder, whether it's hard rock or country.

Are there any special requirements? I heard the CD changer had to be special MB brand, so I had that dealer installed.

Can I take it to the local Circuit City or Best Buy and have it done or does it require special skills?

Anyone done this?
Old 08-04-2003, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You won't be able to keep the speakers but you WILL be able to keep the stock radio. I put a stereo in an '01 CLK55 and the systems are largely identical (and identically awful). I replaced the speakers, disconnected the stock subwoofer and added a 10" sub in a small isobaric box along with two amplifiers to drive everything (one had a crossover built in that I used). I also added a parametric EQ to cancel out some of the equalization in the stock Bose setup. The result was VASTLY improved sound. Higher highs, lower lows and lots of clarity. I recommend a fairly large amp, at least 50 watts per channel and 150-200 for the subwoofer (Infinity makes a great sub called the Basslink that's amplified and does a fine job).
Old 08-05-2003, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
kaneman is exactly right. You will not be able to keep the factory speakers if you replace the amp. Do you have a Bose system? Those amps and speakers run on 2ohms and the standard car audio systems run on 4ohms. Mixing the 2 will cause the sound to suffer.