W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers who allow a test drive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usally where I go they have a Senior sales person in the car while you are test driving I have heard many stories of people comeing in to test drive the car with no intent of buying it and takeing it out and going crazy and way over speed limit then bring it back like nothing happand. Some dealers take one of the cars and use it as the demo and later sell it for a smaller price. I would have no problem buying a Demo car from a respected dealer as you know there is always a sales person in it when people are test driving so things dont get out of hand.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:19 PM

You're absolutely right, Noah.
I will always remember a time about 10-11 years ago when I walked into a Toyota dealership and asked to test drive a Supra and was flat out refused by the sales guy. I was wearing jeans and a T-shirt and it was later in the evening.
"We can't just let every joe off the street test drive these cars, you know", the sales guy told me. I was a little surprised by that comment since I was in my mid-30's and making over $400,000 a year at the time and could have easily paid cash on the spot for the car.

After the sales guy talked to me for about 5 minutes and figured out I wasn't there just because I was bored and wanted to joyride in one of his cars he became very interested in my business. At which time I promptly walked out and went to another dealer where I was treated in just the opposite manner.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:50 PM

No test drive needed unless your a ******

OK....here is my opinion so listen up. A new car.....even the vaunted E55 should have all its parts break in smoothly. This means for the initial miles everything is getting to know each other. Now you got some ****** who wants to test drive the car and has no intention of buying this particular one.........just wants to see how it runs and then maybe..just maybe he or she will order one. He hammers the gas on a cold engine....exceeds the manufacturers revs for breakin period....jams on the brakes that are just starting to break in..... Who cares, I'm special....I want to see if the best car Mercedes makes drives nice.........pull your head out chief. Besides, I'm not going to buy THIS one....its a demo.

Now do you want this car???? I sure as hell would not and I'm pretty sure you dont either. And I would be wizzed off if my dealer let one of you unworthy even sit in my car...let alone start it.

The solution is for the manufacturer/dealer to keep ONE car and designate it as a mule........everyone will know this is the beast that gets flogged on. Obviously dealers don't really care anything about you other than getting your money so this will NEVER happen will it. And of couse somewhere down the road some poor slob will buy it thinking it was a nice used car (of course thats what our high integrity dealers will tell him) but that is what you get for buying a used car you know nothing about my friends.........all bets are off.

So quit being on your high horse and whining about not getting a test drive. If you really pack the stones you pretend to have in this forum, just go buy it. It obviously drives pretty damn nice.

Just my opinion
Old 08-24-2003, 11:05 PM

Porsche 997 C2S
Re: No test drive needed unless your a ******

Originally posted by motormouth
OK....here is my opinion so listen up. A new car.....even the vaunted E55 should have all its parts break in smoothly. This means for the initial miles everything is getting to know each other. Now you got some ****** who wants to test drive the car and has no intention of buying this particular one.........just wants to see how it runs and then maybe..just maybe he or she will order one. He hammers the gas on a cold engine....exceeds the manufacturers revs for breakin period....jams on the brakes that are just starting to break in..... Who cares, I'm special....I want to see if the best car Mercedes makes drives nice.........pull your head out chief. Besides, I'm not going to buy THIS one....its a demo.

Now do you want this car???? I sure as hell would not and I'm pretty sure you dont either. And I would be wizzed off if my dealer let one of you unworthy even sit in my car...let alone start it.

The solution is for the manufacturer/dealer to keep ONE car and designate it as a mule........everyone will know this is the beast that gets flogged on. Obviously dealers don't really care anything about you other than getting your money so this will NEVER happen will it. And of couse somewhere down the road some poor slob will buy it thinking it was a nice used car (of course thats what our high integrity dealers will tell him) but that is what you get for buying a used car you know nothing about my friends.........all bets are off.

So quit being on your high horse and whining about not getting a test drive. If you really pack the stones you pretend to have in this forum, just go buy it. It obviously drives pretty damn nice.

Just my opinion
This page would disagree with you:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

To be honest, I'm not sure what I'm doing with my next car -- the traditional manufacturer recommended break-in or what this page recommends. Any comments?
Old 08-25-2003, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Porcelain Bus
I doubt it matters since most of us don't keep the car much past the warranty period. Why delay gratification? It's really hard not to nail the gas pedal with an engine like this that we have all been waiting so long for.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:56 AM
Almost a Member!

i agree

I agree that there should be a mule, but i don't agree that people should not test drive cars first. 80,000 is a ton of money to spend on a car. some people are not familiar with certian brands of cars and how they drive, i think that mb cars have a similar feel throughout the model line up much different then that of bmw or other manufacturers. The demo cars are always discounted, and every dealership that i have been to always points out the demo from the pre-owned. When you are buying an amg car you want to know whether or not it drives great to YOU, and not some writier from a car magazine, just because everyone says its great doesn't mean you will like it too. obviously most of us know that the e55 is amazing, but i would never buy a car without knowing how it drives first.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:23 AM
Vic

Test drove E55 and CL55

I agree that it would be tough to buy any car without at least a few miles behind the wheel, but I was prepared to do just that with the E55.

Luckily, however, when I showed up at the dealer this past weekend, I got to drive an '03 that the dealership hadn't yet sold. It was an '03 Obsidian Black with zero options. Although I decided against buying this car (because I want a loaded '04), it was a thrill to drive, and it instantly reconfirmed my decision to place the order.

Before placing the order, however, I had also visited another dealership where I was able to wrangle a test drive of a CL55. While I had been considering the CL55, a test drive in both vehicles helped me dedide that the E55 was the way to go for me.

In any case, getting the test drives was the result of different circumstances:

CLK55 - I talked with the dealer several times over a 4-day period before I was able to get over to the dealership. Due to things coming up, I was unable to keep the appointment on two separate occasions, but each time, I called in advance to cancel, and then called again before I was able to stop by. I am guessing that by handling the situation professionally, the salesperson became convinced that I wasn't just looking for a thrill ride. Once I got there, the salesperson offered the test drive. I did not even have to ask for it.

E55 - I visited a salesman from whom I had previously purchased two other MBs. When I pulled into the parking lot, he walked outside with the keys and a tag for the '03 that he had on the lot, even though I had told him I was likely to opt for an '04. I think he was hoping that a test drive would convince me to take the '03, which it almost did!

Anyway, a test drive may be possible, but you have to be lucky enough to find a dealer who has one, and then convince them that you are serious about buying. BTW, I did place an order for an '04.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:43 PM

motoman

Say it aint so Joe? Easy on those donuts as you may have just had a sugar induced hallucination (they sure are good though). I have a poor misguided friend that believes anything and everything people post on the net? It is amazing, the stupid stuff he comes up with in support of his conspiracy of the week theories. But come on....don't thow this silly link out as a defense for hammering on a brand new demo car because motoman says so. Motoman? Perhaps on closer inspection this motorcycle grease monkey does look like the ultimate authority on AMG engine break-in. Motoman is probably his pen name because I'm sure a man of his stature is under contract to advise the Krauts.

Its a tough choice but I'm gonna have to go with the AMG advised break-in......sorry motoman.

But if believing anything that is posted to the internet is your cup of tea then here is a link that some of the more feble minded might find useful in swaying the perceptions of their peers.

http://www.rense.com/

I especially like the horrifying US secret weapon unleased in Baghdad.

Its on the internet......it must be true.

Just havin some fun..LMOA