W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Advice on color selection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2003 | 04:18 PM
Vic

Advice on color selection

I just placed my order yesterday, but still have time to change the color selection. I'll try to give you my thoughts on the colors I considered...

Black or Obsidian Black-- I think it looks the best, but it is a maintenance pig. I may be willing to go this route, but keeping it clean is likely to be an exercise in frsutration. I currently own a BMW 745Li in a metallic black color that is similar to Obsidian.

Capri Blue - Great color, but has a tendency to look purple from certain angles. Am I being too picky here?

Black Opal - Very nice color--I had it on an ML430 a few years ago. While nice, I kind of perceive it as a bit dull.

Pewter Silver - Should be relatively easy to keep clean. I also think it will show the car's lines well, but I can't help but think its dull. Anyway, this was my color selection on the order, but I'm obviously having second thoughts.

Midnight Blue - Attractive color. My earlier S430 was in Midnight Blue. I'm not sure how the charcoal interior would look with this color - plus I think I'd like a metallic color.

Platinum Blue - Just a couple of shades too light for me. It has a certain Mary Kay Cosmetics feel to it.

Anyway, what do your guys think? What is the best color for the vehicle? By the way, I hope I didn't insult anyone's color above, I'm just looking for some input in making this decision.

TIA!
Old 08-24-2003 | 04:56 PM

Silver = low maintanence.
Old 08-24-2003 | 07:36 PM

I have pewter silver, and it's a beautiful color. Shows the lines of the car well, and at the same time will not become a second career maintenance-wise! Color is a very personal thing, so I don't intend to insult any body's choice here.

Black and pure silver are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Black looks beautiful when freshly waxed--but for about 5 minutes, until the dust and swirls show up. Very high maintenance. I had a ocean blue (very dark metalic) Carrera and got tired of the high maintenance.

Pure silver, on the other hand, is very low maintenance, but has a tendency to look a bit washed-out in sunlight, and doesn't show the lines of the car very well. And waxing it isn't very gratifying, since it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

I think you made the right choice with pewter!
Old 08-24-2003 | 07:41 PM

I have obsidian black and would agree that when it is clean you can't beat it but it sure doesn't stay clean long.....

Any colr you will love the car. I do like pewter over the silver. Has a bit more class in my opinion.
Old 08-24-2003 | 09:18 PM
Vic

Follow Up

Thanks for the help! How do you guys feel about Capri Blue and Black Opal? They remain possibilities in my mind.

I've ruled out Brilliant Silver as I have it (Arctic Silver?) on my 2002 Carrera Cabriolet. It's a wonderful color maintenance-wise, and I think it looks great on my 996, but I think the contrast of the black cabriolet top is what makes it stand out. I'm not as keen about the E55 in silver as the car doesn't have the benefit of another color to break things up. I guess what I'm saying is that I think the silver on the E55 just blends together without enough contrast, leaving a bit of a washed out look.

At this point, I'm leaning toward switching to Obsidian Black or even Black and buying some Zaino stock! When clean and free of swirl marks, the black finishes are to die for. I only wish I could find a detail shop in my area that I could have apply the Zaino products for me! Between work and the kids, I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up with the maintenance.

Poursha, I really like the pix of your car, and I haven't ruled out the Pewter Silver yet, but I think I'd still give the edge to Obsidian Black.

Anyway, if anyone else has thoughts on the subject, please feel free to weigh in.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2003 | 10:45 PM

Here is mine after the tint was done....
Attached Thumbnails Advice on color selection-tintside.jpg  
Old 08-24-2003 | 10:47 PM

Obsidian Black, it does show swirls fairly fast but you hit the nail on the head with Zaino, I will be doing the full treatment in about three weeks.
Attached Thumbnails Advice on color selection-tintqtr.jpg  
Old 08-24-2003 | 11:26 PM

E55
Pewter is great color. Have you also thought of tectite and desert silver.
Old 08-25-2003 | 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porcelain Bus
I've gotten countless compliments on the Capri blue. In overcast light or at night it looks almost black. In very bright sunlight it has a slight purplish hue. A close look at the paint reveals almost a speckled blue/black pattern. Another thing that sets it apart is that it is relatively uncommon. It also looks great with the two tone interior. Obviously I'm fairly biased.

Black opal is somewhat bland and my friend's C280 has become somewhat bleached out in the sun. I don't recommend this color.

My recommendation, check frequently with the dealer to see what color W211 cars are on the lot. Seeing them in person is the best. I also loved the jade black but it doesn't look good with two tone leather which I really wanted.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 08-25-2003 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-25-2003 | 12:36 PM

I am going with black opal. I love the color on the CLK and I thought I would give it a go. It is also a bit unique on the E-class. I figure, it would look like black at night, but in the daytime, it will have a metallic dark blue to it. It should also look nice with the blue tinted windows too.

amgB
Old 08-25-2003 | 01:42 PM

I was originally going to get Platinum Blue, but once I saw it in person I thought it was a bit too "soft".

I am very happy with the Capri Blue - I'd call it 2 1/2 colors in one. It looks black when dark, blue in the day, and sometimes purple-ish in the right light. Very cool.
Old 08-25-2003 | 01:42 PM

nice

gads that looks good
Old 08-25-2003 | 03:07 PM
Vic

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I got a call from a dealer this morning indicating that they have a duplication of an order and that they can offer the slot to me. I opted for Obsidian Black.

I am told that the car should be here by mid-October. I can't wait!
Old 08-25-2003 | 04:10 PM

E55
Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Vic

I got a call from a dealer this morning indicating that they have a duplication of an order and that they can offer the slot to me. I opted for Obsidian Black.

Cogratulations. I hope you really enjoy it!!!
Old 08-25-2003 | 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Accord EX V6
Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Vic

Congrats on your car order.. hopefully whatever color you choose will be the best for you... enjoy!!!