New Car looking for mod advice with $5K to spend

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by dllhg
Nice ride . I might take it up before I mod it. Would like to atleast get some DRs though. Need to copy your mods it seems. What mods do you have ?
I have a set of 17's that you can use and if you like them you can buy them. MB OEM 17x8 I believe with 275/40/17 MT. That's the setup I used to go 11.701.
I went back to Sac a couple of weeks later and made one run @ 10.88 and left since I had my new pb. I should have gotten your number before I left that day but I was stoked about running 10's
Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by turbo97se
You in Sac? I am SJ. Would like to compare notes some time .. I have:

Heat exchanger w/ Meziere pump
185mm crank pulley
mid length tube headers 3in. pipes w/ Magnaflow X-pipe.
82 mm TB
550 red injectors (Looped fuel rail)
EC tune
We are in the same boat except after my MBH headers my exhaust is stock and I have a rear tank setup, TTM's 550 injectors, phenolic spacers, one step colder plugs wrapped in DEI's insulated heat protectors, custom CAI wrapped in DEI's intake sleeve double wrapped in Jegs heat barrier shield and a OE 91 road tune. I've only made a couple of runs since I've modded the car but with a low 1.5x 60' which I hope to get once I switch to Hoosiers and stars align it's got a possible 10.6x in her before any sort of weight reductions.

The three of us need to hook up one Sat at Sac.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Prius because I'm green
Nice ride . I might take it up before I mod it. Would like to atleast get some DRs though. Need to copy your mods it seems. What mods do you have ?
If you decide to run up to Sac I'm in the area and have some injectors and the Dads rear tank (should be the same one Hammer Down has if I remember correctly) with the internal pump if you decide to go that route. I have the killer chiller among other things installed if you wanted to see what it looks like. I can hook you up with the tech who installs them.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 91 Posts
2014 cls63 a amg. 2018 AMG GTR
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
I have a set of 17's that you can use and if you like them you can buy them. MB OEM 17x8 I believe with 275/40/17 MT. That's the setup I used to go 11.701.
I went back to Sac a couple of weeks later and made one run @ 10.88 and left since I had my new pb. I should have gotten your number before I left that day but I was stoked about running 10's
You are the guy I saw up there ?! I am the guy that had the black blown GTO running . Very glad I found you ! Shortly after that I started searching for a W211 Just sold my GTO to a friend yesterday. I really wanted to mirror your mods.

I will need some DRs for sure. Much life left in those ? What kind of 60 foots with those ? Sound like a good fit for me right now.

Yeah I was really happy for you getting that 10.9x and was really blown away honestly. My car hit a wall without adding a cam or different blower. 10.88... wow. What kind of traps are you getting ? Sac is about 2 MPH low since they moved the beams a couple years ago. 8th mile is fast by a couple in the right lane.

Last edited by dllhg; 02-15-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mikesamg
If you decide to run up to Sac I'm in the area and have some injectors and the Dads rear tank (should be the same one Hammer Down has if I remember correctly) with the internal pump if you decide to go that route. I have the killer chiller among other things installed if you wanted to see what it looks like. I can hook you up with the tech who installs them.
Oh man things are looking up !!! Happy days This was the other really big thing I wanted to get for my car. What kind of $$ for parts and install on yours ?

Where is this tech located ? I am near Santa Cruz but my Grandma lives up there and I occasionally stay for a night. Do you get much benefit from the rear mount tank once you have the Killer Chiller ? Not sure my wife would be happy when she opens the trunk and sees a huge steel tank in there.

You have the 550 injectors ? I will be needing some for sure.

Guys just made my night

Last edited by dllhg; 02-15-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

We are in the same boat except after my MBH headers my exhaust is stock and I have a rear tank setup, TTM's 550 injectors, phenolic spacers, one step colder plugs wrapped in DEI's insulated heat protectors, custom CAI wrapped in DEI's intake sleeve double wrapped in Jegs heat barrier shield and a OE 91 road tune. I've only made a couple of runs since I've modded the car but with a low 1.5x 60' which I hope to get once I switch to Hoosiers and stars align it's got a possible 10.6x in her before any sort of weight reductions.

The three of us need to hook up one Sat at Sac.
Well now I have the recipe I just need to learn how to make it all work.

I keep hearing OE tuning from people running really fast times for their mods and was leaning towards them. All in the tune I guess. Was yours an actual dyno tune or done remotely ?

So you have a 185MM pulley too ?

Looks like I need to do the 82 mm TB as well.

Those headers are $3000 ouch I have been debating on going LT or the Kleeman mid length. I know some other guy ran a 10.8@130 with the Kleemans but it was Atco so who knows . He also had an OE tune. how hard or how much was the install ? There are some others in the 1500-2K range as well I think. Did you go catless all the way back ?

Interested in what you did to make a CAI as well. I just ordered some K&N drops in too darn it.

Very impressed with your car. Very few people on here run anywhere near those times , many have a lot more mods too. Good job !

Last edited by dllhg; 02-15-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Well now I have the recipe I just need to learn how to make it all work.

I keep hearing OE tuning from people running really fast times for their mods and was leaning towards them. All in the tune I guess. Was yours an actual dyno tune or done remotely ?
Intially it was a box tune so that I could drive it after mods were installed and then Jeremy flew into town and we did a road tune
So you have a 185MM pulley too ?
yes
Looks like I need to do the 82 mm TB as well.
yes you will need the 82

Those headers are $3000 ouch I have been debating on going LT or the Kleeman mid length. I know some other guy ran a 10.8@130 with the Kleemans but it was Atco so who knows . He also had an OE tune. how hard or how much was the install ? There are some others in the 1500-2K range as well I think. Did you go catless all the way back ?

You can check the classifieds on here and you may get lucky also you can check with MBH and someone may have ordered a set but then cancelled which can possibly save you $$$ but for the money you CAN'T beat the Kleemanns. I still have the secondary cats, factory resonator and stock mufflers. Probably the quietest 10sec car on here

Interested in what you did to make a CAI as well. I just ordered some K&N drops in too darn it.
I had a guy make a custom setup for about $600 and then I had them powder coated but as Steve (e55amgrocket) said you can achieve 10's with the factory box
Old 02-15-2013, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Oh man things are looking up !!! Happy days This was the other really big thing I wanted to get for my car. What kind of $$ for parts and install on yours ?

Where is this tech located ? I am near Santa Cruz but my Grandma lives up there and I occasionally stay for a night. Do you get much benefit from the rear mount tank once you have the Killer Chiller ? Not sure my wife would be happy when she opens the trunk and sees a huge steel tank in there.

Guys just made my night
I can vouch for Mike, we use to run up at Sac all the time with Alan (Bassn07) also my 17" setup has quite a bit of life left in them. When I was stock that setup would consistantly run 1.71 60' with 20-22psi could have gone lower down to 16-18 but now I will never know. I need to pick up a set of 16" hoosiers so it would be great to make room in the garage for another pair of tires lol.

Last edited by Hammer Down; 02-15-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
Don't sleep on the Kleeman headers. I know of 4 other cars that have run 10's with them. The MBH will make more power i'm sure but i don't think its as much as most thing. I ran 10.51@132 with kleeman's and made 619hp on a dyno jet with them. You could spend that extra $2000 on other go fast mods.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by e55amgrocket
Don't sleep on the Kleeman headers. I know of 4 other cars that have run 10's with them. The MBH will make more power i'm sure but i don't think its as much as most thing. I ran 10.51@132 with kleeman's and made 619hp on a dyno jet with them. You could spend that extra $2000 on other go fast mods.
I love the MBH headers but if I had to do it all over again I would've gone with Kleemann and put the extra $1500 toward the heads.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
To the OP:

You must have posted on a lucky day here on MBWorld.... I thought for sure when a "new guy" shows up asking how to run 10's in an E55 for $5000 this crowd would have chewed you up and spit you out.

I'm sure you are getting a slightly more accurate sense of it all now. The amount of 10-second E55s around here are FEW and far between... almost every one of those guys has paid dearly (time, money and aggravation) to join that elite group of cars. Plenty of those guys also lost engines as part of their "development" process... so it is not for those with a weak stomach (or wallet). IMHO, that is the reason why those guys get all the respect they do..... it's easy to talk tough about "runnin 10's" but to actually DO it takes a lot of hard work. Perfect example is RedBullJunky.... he has a great video that shows his struggles all the way from stock to highly-modified where he finally got his timeslip. It truly shows the effort and determination that it takes to play at that level.

The list you are building (and revising) in the opening post is looking solid, but there are probably a few things you want to add:

Quaife LSD
Drag Slicks
Alignment of Planets

The first two should be obvious... a stock E55 can't put down it's power effectively, so you're never going to have any kind of success after throwing another 150 - 200HP on top of what's already there.

The third one is just as important... There are plenty of guys with the correct "parts list" who haven't seen a 10-second timeslip yet. You need an awesome launch, and LOTS of cold air to make it happen... It's no accident that all of the records were set in the dead of winter. By the time springtime rolls around, it's already too late.... you might as well put a plan in place to run MIR in December.

-G
Old 02-15-2013, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
^ well said. I was one of those guys that got laughed at when I said I was going to run 10's because its not easy. I've got a lot of drag racing background and knew what I needed to do it and built my car in a few weeks. Blackbenzz and another friend helped me and we honestly would work our normal jobs then meet at my friends shop at 6 and work until 1-2am for a week straight. Had it tuned the following Friday and went to MIR and ran 10.70's. Did some tweaking/tuning and ran a 10.51 the next track rental but ill be the first to admit its not cheap or easy. Sadly I'm also in that club that had something go wrong and now I'm building another engine to handle whatever I throw at it. I try not to think about the cost to much and doing it piece by piece and month to month helps you not think about the cost With you being on the west coast your already behind because of the weather. I ran 10.51 hen it was in the upper 70's I believe. That run would of been in the high 30's low 40's if it was 45 degrees out and we do get that weather a lot here. We see DA at -2500 feet from time to time just remember don't get discouraged. Chipping at it little by little is the best approach.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
I just sat back and watched what everyone else was doing and it also helped to have friends like Alan (Bassn07) and Mike (Mikesamg) who were modded when I was stock. Alan set the blueprint so all I did was basically copy his setup and on my 4th attempt after being modded I hit 10's. Those that have run up at Sac can tell you yes the air is great but it's no MIR or ATCO. If you mention the letters VHT at Sac it's like WHAT?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by e55amgrocket
I just talked to the guy at Kleemans. He said you do lose about 10 WHP but up to 30 TQ with the mid length. Not a ton but 30 TQ could make a difference. Isnt that usually about a tenth right there ? I know they say 20 WHP is good for a tenth, not sure on the TQ.

Leaning towards the Kleemans. The list is getting more pricey. Even if I get the Kleemans I am at about $6000 parts alone. Headers look like a $500 job, Killer Chiller I have no idea. TB looks like it is probably doable. someone offered me a new EC 82 MM TB with y pipe and SC housing connector already on it for $1000 shipped. I should probably jump on that. I just stick with the K&Ns for now. Might get the S55 tubes. Are those TTM scoops worth anything at all ? I am liking my shopping list so far Hope the shorty/mids will get me close.

I'll probably try the setup with just Killer chiller first. If it gets too hot at the end of the track I will add a rear tank. How big are the factor IC tanks anyway ? I did the heater core mod and it kept my GTO very consistent with no heatsoak which Maggie 112s get VERY badly. Ran 4 runs in the last 10-15 minutes and my traps never went down at all. The Killer chiller should work even better.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I can vouch for Mike, we use to run up at Sac all the time with Alan (Bassn07) also my 17" setup has quite a bit of life left in them. When I was stock that setup would consistantly run 1.71 60' with 20-22psi could have gone lower down to 16-18 but now I will never know. I need to pick up a set of 16" hoosiers so it would be great to make room in the garage for another pair of tires lol.
What tires are you using for your 10.88 run ? sure you dont want to sell those and upgrade to the other ones you mentioned ?
Old 02-15-2013, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
What tires are you using for your 10.88 run ? sure you dont want to sell those and upgrade to the other ones you mentioned ?
Currently I am using 255/50/16 MT but like I said I want to switch to Hoosiers. I bought them used from Bassn07 and I've made 5 runs plus the burnout. Shoot me a pm with a price.

btw that 82mm tb deal is a good one, do you know if the housing has been bored from the 74mm opening to 82mm and then fab'd to relocate the holes so that no adapter plate is needed?

Last edited by Hammer Down; 02-15-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Prius because I'm green

Guys just made my night
I could get a qoute on install and parts for the chiller with and without a tank but it all depends on what you do that will determine the price, and that would be his decision to figure out if he does the work. When it was first tested having the tank with the chiller so that it can be an isolated system worked best. The tank can go where the spare tire is if you are ok with running no spare tire. It's not that big of a tank either I can measure it to get exact dimensions.

I'm curious are you looking for just headers or a midsection as well? What pricing are you getting on the Kleemans and is it just the headers or is the mid section to the resonator or mufflers included?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by GregMB
To the OP:

You must have posted on a lucky day here on MBWorld.... I thought for sure when a "new guy" shows up asking how to run 10's in an E55 for $5000 this crowd would have chewed you up and spit you out.

I'm sure you are getting a slightly more accurate sense of it all now. The amount of 10-second E55s around here are FEW and far between... almost every one of those guys has paid dearly (time, money and aggravation) to join that elite group of cars. Plenty of those guys also lost engines as part of their "development" process... so it is not for those with a weak stomach (or wallet). IMHO, that is the reason why those guys get all the respect they do..... it's easy to talk tough about "runnin 10's" but to actually DO it takes a lot of hard work. Perfect example is RedBullJunky.... he has a great video that shows his struggles all the way from stock to highly-modified where he finally got his timeslip. It truly shows the effort and determination that it takes to play at that level.

The list you are building (and revising) in the opening post is looking solid, but there are probably a few things you want to add:

Quaife LSD
Drag Slicks
Alignment of Planets

The first two should be obvious... a stock E55 can't put down it's power effectively, so you're never going to have any kind of success after throwing another 150 - 200HP on top of what's already there.

The third one is just as important... There are plenty of guys with the correct "parts list" who haven't seen a 10-second timeslip yet. You need an awesome launch, and LOTS of cold air to make it happen... It's no accident that all of the records were set in the dead of winter. By the time springtime rolls around, it's already too late.... you might as well put a plan in place to run MIR in December.

-G
Very well said! And Thank You!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullJnky
Very well said! And Thank You!
Well deserved.

Repost that link to your "montage" video on YouTube. I remember it started out with you getting pwned a lot with slower times.....then like Rocky Balboa you starting bulking up and the races got closer and closer..... Next thing you know, you are laying the smack down run after run. It was fun to watch, and inspirational.

-G
Old 02-16-2013, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Currently I am using 255/50/16 MT but like I said I want to switch to Hoosiers. I bought them used from Bassn07 and I've made 5 runs plus the burnout. Shoot me a pm with a price.

btw that 82mm tb deal is a good one, do you know if the housing has been bored from the 74mm opening to 82mm and then fab'd to relocate the holes so that no adapter plate is needed?
Did you ever run the 17s with your setup ? What kind of difference did you see ? The 17s would be a great place to start. As long as they arent useless with a setup like yours I'd be tempted to go with those. Wait you are using only 255s out back to run those 10 second passes ? Seems pretty narrow. Did you mean 275 ?

The TB came from Eurocharge and they included the housing to make it easier to install. So I would assume it is all setup for bolt on. I think I should just jump on that deal. Its new not used as well. Guy never installed it. Might make it possible to install without removing SC. Atleast that is the idea I think.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mikesamg
I could get a qoute on install and parts for the chiller with and without a tank but it all depends on what you do that will determine the price, and that would be his decision to figure out if he does the work. When it was first tested having the tank with the chiller so that it can be an isolated system worked best. The tank can go where the spare tire is if you are ok with running no spare tire. It's not that big of a tank either I can measure it to get exact dimensions.

I'm curious are you looking for just headers or a midsection as well? What pricing are you getting on the Kleemans and is it just the headers or is the mid section to the resonator or mufflers included?
Well I am 100% sure I want to do this. This is the best mod you can do for a car that is prone to heat soak like ours. What did you want for the tank ? to keep it simple I was really just thinking no tank but I wont rule that out. If the water doesnt stay cool enough long enough I was going to add a tank. Please let me know what he says and or if you could get me his contact info. Does he do other work as well like headers ?

I dont know enough about these cars yet to be honest. I was just looking at the Kleemans or LTs that replace one set of cats but not both and retains factory resonator. Was getting them for $995.

I am on the fence about the headers honestly. If I found some LT at a good enough price that can perform as well as those MBH ones I'd probably go that route. 30 TQ at the wheels is a lot. Even though he said only 10 WHP I am betting the power under the curve is much higher too. Might make getting 10s a lot harder but who knows.

Oh and I wanted your injectors if they are 550s and a decent price.

Last edited by dllhg; 02-16-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Did you ever run the 17s with your setup ? What kind of difference did you see ? The 17s would be a great place to start. As long as they arent useless with a setup like yours I'd be tempted to go with those. Wait you are using only 255s out back to run those 10 second passes ? Seems pretty narrow. Did you mean 275 ?

The TB came from Eurocharge and they included the housing to make it easier to install. So I would assume it is all setup for bolt on. I think I should just jump on that deal. Its new not used as well. Guy never installed it. Might make it possible to install without removing SC. Atleast that is the idea I think.
With the 17's when stock I picked up 3 tenths I have not run them with my current setup I went straight to the 16" setup and yes they are 255's any wider on the clk wheels + the spacer and they will rub.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

With the 17's when stock I picked up 3 tenths I have not run them with my current setup I went straight to the 16" setup and yes they are 255's any wider on the clk wheels + the spacer and they will rub.

255 seems narrow. I'd probably be more interested in the 17s@ 275 I think.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am getting so excited Car doesnt arrive until next wed or thur. Have already done virtually all the research I need and have been ordering parts. Feel like X-mas when I was a kid
Old 02-16-2013, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cant edit my first post anymore, updated list. Looks like I am very close. $5600 in parts with list below. Hoping labor doesnt kill me on some of these installs. I cant go too crazy but I will meet my goals it seems.

$1000 OE tune .
$500-$1000 Killer Chiller
180 T-stat ?
$300 Might get rear mount tank

$1650 EC LT headers *Purchasing in the next 24 hours*
$900 185 MM pulley. *Purchasing in the next 24 hours*
$900-$1000 82 MM TB *Purchasing in the next 24 hours*
$375 550 injectors *Purchasing in the next 24 hours*
$115 new IC pump *Purchased*
$75 K&N drop in*Purchased*
$75 One step colder plugs *Purchased*
$200 MT Drag radials for strip *Buying* Just sold my new set for my GTO for $300 so its a wash

$$ ?? Installation of some of these parts

$450 belt wrap kit *maybe* Would like to save the money right now but if belt slip is going to be an issue I might need to get this.

Last edited by dllhg; 02-18-2013 at 01:23 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Car looking for mod advice with $5K to spend