W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 tranny slip 2nd to 3rd ... advise pls.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
got the conductor plate. installed with all new seals and new oil. $355 later still does the exact same thing......

droping off on monday to a tranny shop to have it looked at.

pretty upseting
Old 03-09-2013, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by dchl21
got the conductor plate. installed with all new seals and new oil. $355 later still does the exact same thing......

droping off on monday to a tranny shop to have it looked at.

pretty upseting
Very sorry to hear that! Good luck!
Old 03-09-2013, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
A lot of good people/offers on this thread; nice. Best of luck OP.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what do you guys think its wrong now ??!?!? every gear is smooth and just from 2nd to 3rd it revs then shift... my car is rarely driven hard since i had it and its in great condition. i dont want to swap a used tranny because my only has 87km. is it time to rebuild it ?!? or im just lying to myself that i dont have to.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Originally Posted by dchl21
what do you guys think its wrong now ??!?!? every gear is smooth and just from 2nd to 3rd it revs then shift... my car is rarely driven hard since i had it and its in great condition. i dont want to swap a used tranny because my only has 87km. is it time to rebuild it ?!? or im just lying to myself that i dont have to.
Any TCU codes? Need STAR or similar to pull them.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32 amg evosport stage 2
Sorry to hear. But i do have an cls 55 and did rebuild the tranny.

The problem was at slow speeds, when it did change between 2an and 3third gear. It was lika a few moments nothing happend. Maybe milliseconds, but you feel it. The cas are stock. So in your situation you should feel it much more.

In My case i did change the valvetrain without any results. The problem or wich did start the problem was the electric contact as everybody says. But When you drive like that in a while you will trash your tranny. The third gear was slipiring and wae did rebuild the whole tranny.

So iam sorry to hear. But if so the case is. Leave it so some one who can make it stronger for you specially you are running 490 wrp.

The problem is if the current owner dont drive the car as it should, you or the second owner gona notic a lot of problems when you pull it harder....

Specially if you buy a car with low miles.

I have noticed that every brand have a lot of problems with their prefomance cars in the begining. Let say until 70000 km. It nothing is fixed then it gona be expensive for you .

For example M5 E60 70000 the smg shut down. Hydralic part goes bad even the clutch. ANd so on. Mercedes The tranny or may be the chain or camshafts as the 63 and so on.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Check the adaptation data for shift member B1 I believe is involved in the 2-3 shift. Also look at that shift member during its related downshift. If I was at work I could tell you exactly but I can't quite be sure here. If the values are in the 15-20 or -15 - -20 range it's a problem.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Possibly the 2-3 shift solenoid valve is bad which is located on the top of the valve body on driver side rear of valve body (inside tranny housed in the tranny fluid pan)? Or maybe the actual valve is sticking inside the valve body?

In this pic the 2-3 shift solenoid is just to the left of that red circle shown (the silver cylinder).

Only thing that sucks about this is the work you just had done would need to be done again to get to change the solenoid out, since they would remove the valve body to swap a solenoid just like they did to swap the conductor plate since it is on the top of the valve body up in the tranny. Then there is always the potential of it not being the problem. It really isn't hard to do at all if you have some tools and a little know how to operate them.

Last edited by urbamworm; 03-10-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

did a full rebuild $3300 + taxes. all smooth and breaking in right now.

hopefully she stays healthy.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I dread the day my transmission starts to give me issues like this. If it ever did I'd probably just upgrade to an OEM+ or Viking from Southern Hot Rod.

Glad you got your car back up and running smoothly again.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:02 AM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by mdgonzo101
I dread the day my transmission starts to give me issues like this. If it ever did I'd probably just upgrade to an OEM+ or Viking from Southern Hot Rod.
What is difference between these Dodge 722.6 transmissions, and ours?

http://southernhotrod.com/products.html
Old 04-20-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 crossfire w/SL55 drivetrain installed by Rudy Compart Intake/Needswings best et-10.76 @ 129
I have the exact same problem, the mind started when I dropped the car off to have the rear gear change from 307 to 327.I wasn't there but I think somebody played with my car. I drove it in the shop, shop one on vacation, two weeks later I I drove it out of the shop, and it slipped Between second and third.I replaced the valve body, I replaced the conductor plate, all by the way, at wide-open throttle it's hard to notice that it slips. Put the fluid in, nothing works, so I will drive it until it quits, or until I get the money to put in a new tranny. What I have been doing is just for it ships out of second I let off the gas and it would have smooth, then give it gas again, anything less than wide-open throttle you really feel it.
In the very near future I will be getting a transmission belt the gills.

This transmission that is slipping between second and third has 10,200 and well miles on it when it started to slip, a lot of that 10,200, 125 trips down the strip,And the rest of it was driving to the track's,
And it will be on the track Slipping until it blows. jim
Old 05-04-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 crossfire w/SL55 drivetrain installed by Rudy Compart Intake/Needswings best et-10.76 @ 129
Originally Posted by amx1397
I have the exact same problem, the mind started when I dropped the car off to have the rear gear change from 307 to 327.I wasn't there but I think somebody played with my car. I drove it in the shop, shop one on vacation, two weeks later I I drove it out of the shop, and it slipped Between second and third.I replaced the valve body, I replaced the conductor plate, all by the way, at wide-open throttle it's hard to notice that it slips. Put the fluid in, nothing works, so I will drive it until it quits, or until I get the money to put in a new tranny. What I have been doing is just for it ships out of second I let off the gas and it would have smooth, then give it gas again, anything less than wide-open throttle you really feel it.
In the very near future I will be getting a transmission belt the gills.

This transmission that is slipping between second and third has 10,200 and well miles on it when it started to slip, a lot of that 10,200, 100+ trips down the strip,And the rest of it was driving to the track's,
And it will be on the track Slipping until it blows. jim
now i know it was the tcm.