W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT, Anybody here worked on 2.2l S10 engines?

Old 03-08-2013, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Question OT, Anybody here worked on 2.2l S10 engines?

I was doing a head gasket with a friend on his GFs truck and it is giving us nothing but infuriating problems. First it was a stripped bolt on the accessory bracket, then a hose broke and dropped coolant ALL OVER me and my floor, now were finally re-assembling and now we can't for the life of us get the return fule line back into the fuel rail. We have tried bending it, tilting the engine, tilting the head around trying to make it fit but it just wont seat back in. Nothing is damaged, it just wont go in all the way. Here's a picture of what I mean:

Not only that, but we also found a bad injector and the fuel regulator just went and blasted fuel everywhere. Sorry, but this is why I don't work on old GMs..
Old 03-08-2013, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
That's why you don't work on old GMs?
Why? That is literally about as easy a vehicle to work on created in modern times. Don't blame the vehicle because you took on a skill level 2 puzzle and you're still a 1. It's a cam in block, pushrod 4 cylinder with tons of room to move around it. No timing belt to relalign when you're done, you just torque the rocker arms to 22 ft lbs And throw the valve cover back on.

In regards to your fuel line, the line is bent. You need to straighten it out so that the threads are grabbing correctly when you try to turn it. Crows feet wrenches work well here on the end of a 6 " ratchet and extension. I think there's an oring on that line too, make sure you didn't trash it.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
Wow at times like these I bet you wish you just had a can of KW block seal.......
Old 03-08-2013, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot
Why? That is literally about as easy a vehicle to work on created in modern times. Don't blame the vehicle because you took on a skill level 2 puzzle and you're still a 1. It's a cam in block, pushrod 4 cylinder with tons of room to move around it. No timing belt to relalign when you're done, you just torque the rocker arms to 22 ft lbs And throw the valve cover back on.

In regards to your fuel line, the line is bent. You need to straighten it out so that the threads are grabbing correctly when you try to turn it. Crows feet wrenches work well here on the end of a 6 " ratchet and extension. I think there's an oring on that line too, make sure you didn't trash it.
I have to agree. Old vehicles are old vehicles are will give problems, but as far as old vehicles go this is one of the simplest old vehicle you can work on. I love working on old GM's. I enjoy it.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
I'd take working on an old GM any day over ANY foreign car.

Your line isn't going in straight, seems to be leaning a bit to the right to me.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Sir-Boost-a-Lot

No, because murphys law always bites me in the *** on old GMs for some reason. Never have so many problems on other cars. And yes, we did torque the rocker arms to 22 ft lbs and the head to 53 on the short bolts and 56 on the long ones in sequence.

But the line is not threaded, it just slips in and seals with an o-ring and is held on with a bracket. We finally got it, then the o-ring failed, so getting a new one in tomorrow.

On vortech s10s, it is a breeze, but I just always encounter problems on the older 2.2. this would be the third one I have worked on, and everyone was a PITA.