Sponsored by:

WTB: W211 Rear Diff housing..... ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
WTB: W211 Rear Diff housing..... ???

It's a longshot, but I am checking to see if anyone is parting out an E55 currently, or knows someone who might have a complete take-out centersection (housing, cover, gears, and stock open diff)??

I'm still trying to arrange the installation of my new Quaife... plenty of people can swap out the center chunk for me, but the thought of acutually swapping the ring gear over to a new LSD and setting proper backlash seems to scare them off...

There is a great looking DIY thread on here, and I found the WIS (in .PDF format) also. I'd be willing to give this a shot on my own, but this is my daily driver. I figure with an extra centersection, I can take my time..... learn something new and get it all set up properly as a complete unit, then bring it to a local shop to have it swapped in.

Any cautionary tales, advice or help locating a center chunk would be appreciated.

-G
Old 04-18-2013, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Greg, my buddy Dave would be happy to give you any help you need over the phone. He set mine up without any problems.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PACougar
Greg, my buddy Dave would be happy to give you any help you need over the phone. He set mine up without any problems.
Thanks for the offer.

The setup procedure looks fairly straightforward. I already have a good set of nice torquewrenches, but I'd need to buy a magnetic base dial indicator and some marking compound to check the gear pattern.

I didn't see anything about needing a specialized case spreading tool (as is sometimes needed for gearswaps in other cars)......so it didn't seem like I'd have to spend too much money to equip myself for this job.

-G
Old 04-18-2013, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
It's a pretty straight forward job, but if you run into a problem feel free to hit me up.