E55 OR porsche TURBO TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Question E55 OR porsche TURBO TT?

What would you pick if ya want to have a fun car, plus where i live winters sometimes getting pretty hard? I want e55 but as i imagine winter with it i feel bad, also our family has ml55! wich i can take sometimes if it's really snowing, Or should i buy turboTT?
My Dad also likes cayenne turbo and he's telling me to get that? what do you think guys?
Old 08-25-2003, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Apples and Oranges. The E55 is capable of being an everyday car whereas the 911 is a purpose built no compromise sports car.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:59 PM
krm

the Cayenne TT is the best compromise between a quick vehicle with all purpose utility. You should consider it if you are planning to trade in the ML55.

Other than that, an E55 is not quite comparable with the 996TT. You should weigh your preferences and the purpose each serves before picking one over the other.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
No ML55 stays it's my bros car it's almost brand new 2002...

And me...i want smth FAST but also i don't want suffer from the winter! like i did with my 745i it was just nightmare going on the snow!!! PLUS you cannot speed in Canada i already have pretty bad record lol....plus i like SUV especialy fast ones! so i dunno i love E55 but my concern is winter! wich is pretty bad in Canada, so i don't know what to do....cannot afford both of them!

I want fast fun car! i dont care 2 or 4 doors wich can handle the winter!
Old 08-25-2003, 01:30 PM

It pains me to say this, but you need an Audi RS6.
The E55 with torque rating what it is will be a nightmare in Canada. Sure, you can get seasonal tires, but you won't enjoy the car anywhere near its potential. The Audi will perform dramatically better in slushy, snowy, icy conditions.

The TT will be wasted in Canada unless you're planning on driving it only during summer weekends. You can't use this as a daily driver. I suppose technically you could, but you'll get dusted by the little pesky Subarus, Audi A4's, Jeep Liberty's and all manner of 4 cylinder vehicles which are snow-worthy.

The Cayenne is a vehicle without a true purpose IMO. It's not a sports car, it doesn't handle like a sports car, high center of gravity is not something engineering can eliminate in this vehicle, and it's not a good SUV.
The only reason Porsche committed to build this vehicle is because they wanted to cash in on the SUV craze.
Watch what's happening with resale and desirability of the Cayenne. It's not being as well received as many speculated it might be and lots of prospective buyers have backed out on it.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
i Don't like rs6! it's old body, and i don't like it inside the dashboard looks not that good.....not my style of the car!

Well....dunnoo! On the other hand i want RWD car to have some fun and burn some tires....on the other hand winter + e55 torque wasn't made for each others lol! dunno what to do! I'll just go with STi lol j/k!
Old 08-25-2003, 01:43 PM
krm

If you want a fast car that can handle the winters then Evo, STI (if you are into those cars), or the RS6 aforementioned is a good choice.

One should not doubt the Cayenne TT's abilities until he/she has driven it. I went to the Porsche driving experience testing both Cayenne models and I was surprised of their capabilities to say the least. On the autocross, the Cayenne TT, fitted with the air suspension system as standard, takes on the curves relatively flat. The CG is of course higher than a sedan, but this truck is probably the best driver's SUV out in the market at the moment with its brutal accelerative force matched with sports car like feel on the limit (rare in an SUV). If you like how an ML55 drives, then the Cayenne TT is going to feel like a supercar imo. The Cayenne tackles offroad terrain relatively well. Not up to Range Rover standards, but it is fairly close.

Read a short review here
Old 08-25-2003, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
I agree with krm, i drove the Cayenne S and its quite a satisfying "SUV".. Never driven the turbo but i am guessing it can only be more fun. If i were to buy one car that had to tackle summer driving, and snowy winters i would pick the Cayenne any time.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 with an extra set of rims for snow tires.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:09 PM
D-5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E55
I have driven both, Cayenne S and turbo. Cayenne S feels more like BMW X5 4.4i, the Turbo on the other hand, is a Beast! Very Very Powerful, I've tried acclerating from 2,3,4 gear(using tiptronic) go down half way or a bit more on the gas pedal, turbo kicks in and off you go! They all feels like 1st gear to me!!

Since your family already has a fast SUV, I would buy a sports car. If you are considering the E55, why not go for SL55!!

99TT $170k (bone stock, navi+$, sports seats+$, too many to list)

SL55 $165k (almost fully loaded)

I'm not say SL55 is better than 996TT, but for the price you pay, it is certainly a best buy! No matter what you get at last(Cayenne, 996, E, SL) you won't go wrong with anyone of them!!
Old 08-25-2003, 04:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by BoBcanada
No ML55 stays it's my bros car it's almost brand new 2002...

And me...i want smth FAST but also i don't want suffer from the winter! like i did with my 745i it was just nightmare going on the snow!!! PLUS you cannot speed in Canada i already have pretty bad record lol....
Why do you want a fast car if you can't speed it ????
Old 08-25-2003, 04:16 PM

E55
Sorry to make as confused as I am. Mateja did a review of the RS6 last Sunday. He claims you need to change tires for the winter.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:33 PM

D-5- A 996 TT is not 170K, even fully loaded it is about 35-40K less!! Don't post information on the board unless it is correct.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:57 PM

E55
Originally posted by pocholin
Why do you want a fast car if you can't speed it ????
Good question. The former governor of Minnesota was asked that by Jay Leno. He replied with a smile there is no law about how fast you go fast. He has Porsche --- I think a TT.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
You'll need winter tires in RS6 for sure.
I had to replace tires in my old S8,it would not stop in snow otherwise.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:19 PM

E55
Originally posted by AmgBoy
D-5- A 996 TT is not 170K, even fully loaded it is about 35-40K less!! Don't post information on the board unless it is correct.
could be Canadian prices --- advice was being given to a Canadian.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by Pbglas
Good question. The former governor of Minnesota was asked that by Jay Leno. He replied with a smile there is no law about how fast you go fast. He has Porsche --- I think a TT.
Well, I once accelerated very fast to speed limit, a cop saw me and gave me a ticket for it, seriously, it was called "Exhibition of acceleration" and it costed me $ 75.00 bucks

I used to think the same until then , just be careful.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally posted by amg55
It pains me to say this, but you need an Audi RS6.
The E55 with torque rating what it is will be a nightmare in Canada. Sure, you can get seasonal tires, but you won't enjoy the car anywhere near its potential. The Audi will perform dramatically better in slushy, snowy, icy conditions.

The TT will be wasted in Canada unless you're planning on driving it only during summer weekends. You can't use this as a daily driver. I suppose technically you could, but you'll get dusted by the little pesky Subarus, Audi A4's, Jeep Liberty's and all manner of 4 cylinder vehicles which are snow-worthy.

The Cayenne is a vehicle without a true purpose IMO. It's not a sports car, it doesn't handle like a sports car, high center of gravity is not something engineering can eliminate in this vehicle, and it's not a good SUV.
The only reason Porsche committed to build this vehicle is because they wanted to cash in on the SUV craze.
Watch what's happening with resale and desirability of the Cayenne. It's not being as well received as many speculated it might be and lots of prospective buyers have backed out on it.
amg55 is right, IMHO I would say get the Rs6. It's not too bad compared to the E55 and it does have quattro. Honestly I have yet to drive something with such power only to the rear wheels, so I can say much, but I can say that quattro is amazing. I drive an a6 2.7T and the quattro has saved me many a times. I knoe for a fact that once I get my E55 that I will have to change the way I drive cause I will be spoiled with 4-wheel drive and will have to adjust to the rear wheel drive.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:02 PM

E55
Well, I once accelerated very fast to speed limit, a cop saw me and gave me a ticket for it, seriously, it was called "Exhibition of acceleration" and it costed me $ 75.00 bucks

I used to think the same until then , just be careful.
Thanks Pocholin. Which state?
Old 08-25-2003, 10:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by Pbglas
Thanks Pocholin. Which state?
Texas
Old 08-25-2003, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
You know what don't think that just because you have AWD (RS6) that it will prevent the laws of physics. I was a WRX owner and lots of those guys had accidents because they thought that AWD would save them, but remember this, when your not on the throttle, its not AWD; braking and non power cornering is just like any other car. Basically you have to power through everything to take advantage of AWD.

So its not the end all be all.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:36 PM

one of seven
I got one of those 'exibition of speed' tickets years ago - smoked the tires right up to the 35 mph speed limit and let off on the gas, never went over the limit - the cops didn't like that!!
Old 08-25-2003, 11:38 PM

Get a Cheyenne Turbo for the Winter or a BMW X5 4.8 when its out the E55 wont do so good neither will any sports car in the snow. unless you buy anthor set of wheels with winter tires and take it that way but its really a wayste of car for the winter.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:00 AM

E55
Texas
Thanks. We should be careful.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:12 AM

Canadians don't deserve anything except disdain

I suggest you get a treby from your communist bretheren in the old Soviet Union. You cannooks wussed out when the US went to war in Iraq. We protect you and that was the thanks we get!

Hope your radiator freezes solid with whatever you get then maybe daddy can buy you something else.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55 OR porsche TURBO TT?