W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting from Reverse to Drive (slowwww)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Shifting from Reverse to Drive (slowwww)

I don't drive my e55 too often, but when I do I always smile . That said, one thing that is unusual is how long the car takes to get into 1st gear (drive) after reversing - is this normal ? (Disclaimer : I don't drive automatics often, but my wife's Lexus and our new family mobile aka Honda Odyssey both can slam from reverse into drive.)

Basically, if I reverse the car, stop the car, and put the car in drive, there is a delay before I can nail the throttle (to the point that the car feels dead). I'd love to be able to reverse the car, slam it in drive, and nail the throttle....
Old 04-23-2013, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine's the same way.

I thought it might have been a "self preservation" feature of the transmissions to prevent huge torque loads from neutral-drops. Recently I've been experimenting with the brake pedal to see if touching the brake changes the behavior at all.... so far I haven't come up with any techniques to speed up the "R" to "D" delays.

-G
Old 04-23-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
05 E55, 06 Audi S4
mine Is pretty laggy too. but the last thing ide wanna do is go rolling back in reverse and slip it into drive while still rolling then floor it... it's fun to do In a beater that you don't care about though.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W211 E55
I think it is pretty normal since mine does it also. Think about the amount of force that it would take if you were to just throw it back a floor it. These cars do make more power than most vehicles by a good amount.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
cij911, does your money grow on trees. What you describe is simple abuse Reverse-drive then floor it. Why would you want to trade that smile for tears, MB makes a poor paper weight. Sorry!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
06 e55,81SC Targa,08 CLK63 BLK,91 E34 M5
its probably fine like everyone says
Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Originally Posted by GregMB
Mine's the same way.

I thought it might have been a "self preservation" feature of the transmissions to prevent huge torque loads from neutral-drops. Recently I've been experimenting with the brake pedal to see if touching the brake changes the behavior at all.... so far I haven't come up with any techniques to speed up the "R" to "D" delays.

-G
Probably, but the same transmission is used in the 911s and is not as laggy....

Originally Posted by forcefed4door
mine Is pretty laggy too. but the last thing ide wanna do is go rolling back in reverse and slip it into drive while still rolling then floor it... it's fun to do In a beater that you don't care about though.
I like to control my cars and hate electronic nannies....I was not planning on abusing the car.

Originally Posted by Critter
cij911, does your money grow on trees. What you describe is simple abuse Reverse-drive then floor it. Why would you want to trade that smile for tears, MB makes a poor paper weight. Sorry!
Nope, my money grows via solid investments . I am not wanting to break stuff, rather just trying to understand if others have the same laggy transmission. As I stated above, the 911 uses that same basic transmission in the tiptronic cars and it is not as laggy.

Originally Posted by Manuyc
its probably fine like everyone says
Appears like it is working as designed....hate all the electronic nanny crap...FWIW, the traction control is WAY to conservative for my liking too.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Seeing a previous post where you got burned for service, did they actually do a service on the trans or did they do a FLUSH. If you want to use some of that solid investment gold get a filter and fluid change by someplace thgat will actually do it. It always pays to watch these tech while they work, this advice will save that solid investment coinage,LOL BTW you are not a Real Estate Agent, just wondering reverse to forward without stopping is abuse and expensive.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55K AMG Wagon
My last 5 Merc's all had a similar 5 speed box, all of them seemed the same and yes they all had that loooong delay.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Originally Posted by Critter
Seeing a previous post where you got burned for service, did they actually do a service on the trans or did they do a FLUSH. If you want to use some of that solid investment gold get a filter and fluid change by someplace thgat will actually do it. It always pays to watch these tech while they work, this advice will save that solid investment coinage,LOL BTW you are not a Real Estate Agent, just wondering reverse to forward without stopping is abuse and expensive.
I am not sure what you are referring to, but I suspect it was a service at the MB dealer. I don't take the MB to the dealer anymore - only Benzworks and GMG.

No I am not a realtor, but I do like some REITs as investments .

As I stated, I am not looking to destroy the transmission and just felt it was very delayed in engaging. I just drove a new BMW yesterday and it was considerably quicker to engage. (I'd like to test drive the new e AMG and see if the new transmission behaves better.)

Per the other responses, the delay in engaging just appears to be the design and my guess is logic in the TCU.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Originally Posted by SavMan
My last 5 Merc's all had a similar 5 speed box, all of them seemed the same and yes they all had that loooong delay.
Thanks. Seems unusually long especially if you are used to a manual transmission.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
I know when I had my civic if i had to do a quick turn, would be instant! Mercedes lag so much I feel like a jack *** making a turn K turn now
Old 04-24-2013, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

one car at a time
Originally Posted by djrabbi
I know when I had my civic if i had to do a quick turn, would be instant! Mercedes lag so much I feel like a jack *** making a turn K turn now
So funny that you say this...Just a few days ago I was backing out of a parking spot and a car honked at me before the car went into drive...That is what made me start this thread...Oh well, I guess it is what it is....
Old 12-03-2013, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r350
I approached the dealer about this to no effect. A local repair guy explained what he thought was a safety feature much like the reverse delay to prevent us from changing directions without enough time to clear the new path. Nanytronic I suppose but I to have experienced the extreme inconvenience of backing out of a parking spot or doing a K (i like that new to me description) turn and havign this 3-4 second delay in the throttle. In that multi second delay, a less than aware driver, like my wife, will get the pedal half way to the floor and then take off once the throttle finally obeys. Damn nuisance and dangerous if you overestimate turning space for a u turn in traffic. All those delays add up with your *** hanging out there in traffic.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
yep..i learned this as well, almost the hard way, backed out into a street w/ traffic coming and i was like what the heck, "GO!" luckily it kicked in and i floored it to get moving up to speed...now i know not to do this..
Old 12-04-2013, 06:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
Cant a TCU tune get rid of this?
Any experiences so far?
I also hat this typical Mercedes behavior, but well hey, my other older MB cars with 4 or 5 speed 722.3, 722.5 boxxes were even slower going from R to D. So that said, the AMG 722.6 Box is quite an improvement over the old boxes - i see if from that perspective and always have the direct comparison when i get into my W124 500E ;-)
Old 12-04-2013, 03:10 PM

05 e55 amg
I had the same issue I changed my trans fluid and filter regular maintainance and the problem is gone try if that helps worked for me
Old 12-04-2013, 09:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'06 E55
I checked mine today, and my delay is only about 1 second going from reverse to drive.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:52 PM

05 E55, 08 S63, 09 GL450
R to D

Originally Posted by cij911
So funny that you say this...Just a few days ago I was backing out of a parking spot and a car honked at me before the car went into drive...That is what made me start this thread...Oh well, I guess it is what it is....
But i bet after you went into drive, that was the last time you saw that car

Mine does the same...Slight lag from R to D. Glad to see nothing is peculiar about my car.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
X5M, CLS55, GLA45, Ultra Classic, V Max, HR Navigator.
Talking

Originally Posted by cij911
I don't drive my e55 too often, but when I do I always smile . That said, one thing that is unusual is how long the car takes to get into 1st gear (drive) after reversing - is this normal ? (Disclaimer : I don't drive automatics often, but my wife's Lexus and our new family mobile aka Honda Odyssey both can slam from reverse into drive.)

Basically, if I reverse the car, stop the car, and put the car in drive, there is a delay before I can nail the throttle (to the point that the car feels dead). I'd love to be able to reverse the car, slam it in drive, and nail the throttle....
My 05 exhibits the same tendency, it wasn't so bad when I had the big parking area to back out and make the three point turn but since I moved to the smaller place unless I back in I am forced to do the "K" turn when pulling out. And therein lies the issue, I have to back out onto a occasionally busy road where the speed limit is 45 and there is a passing zone right in front of the house! Now it is a real dicey situation especially when the trans wants to play find the gear. More than once I had it engage a little hard and all I can think of is am I damaging something? I found out that if I put it in manual it grabs first right away and if I am so inclined (and I see rapidly approaching traffic) I get to enjoy the effects of a full power takeoff LOL, which in my opinion is a great way to start the day.